Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Students & Teens
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-15-08, 23:11

Plan: 1 day ago
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress:
Default My mom doesnt understand

i want to lose 15 lbs and i tried induction for two weeks but i dont think i was doing it right so i stopped. now i wnt to try it again but my mom doesnt think atkins is healthy and thinks im obsesing about my weight. im 18 y/o and im 5'3" and weigh 133 . i just want to be thinner and feel comfortable in clothes plus all my friends are skinnier then me so its hard to even be a few lbs overweight. i wish my mom would just realize how important this is to me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 03:08

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%

You might want to suggest she tries reading about it to learn more. Or suggest that you do it for a few weeks and she can see you're not eating unhealthily and can witness your happiness increase as you lose weight (if it does). Would she really be happier if you were doing one of those stupid diets like only eating grapefruits or something? Reassure her there is nothing wrong about eating whole foods, cutting out sugar and processed crap and you still can eat vegetables.

That said, the incentive to lose weight should NEVER be about your friends being skinnier than you - we are all made differently and its not a contest. Make sure you're doing this for the right reasons.

At the end of the day, you are an adult and you choose what you put into your body and what you choose not to. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 10:48

Plan:
Stats: 290/191/170 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%
Wink

Focus on cutting out those bad carbs but keeping good carbs(healthy vegetables). And make sure you take your vitamins and don't just eat meat, your mom won't see that as healthy and she'll probably get mad about the increased food bill. Try shopping for the groceries with your mom maybe and show her the kind of stuff you'll be eating as you pick it up.

Good luck from a fellow teen.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-16-08, 20:32

Plan: 1 day ago
Stats: 130/130/115 Female 63"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Try shopping for the groceries with your mom maybe and show her the kind of stuff you'll be eating as you pick it up.

but thats just it. i went with my mom shopping for food and i even explained that i still get to eat veggies yet she still thinks all the fat and eggs and even counting carbs is not healthy. i just dont know what to tell her anymore.

plus when she has doubts about something it makes me think i am doing something bad for me. This makes it harder to stick to the beginning 2 weeks of induction ( which i dont even know if im doing right in the first place because i havent gone into ketosis).
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-17-08, 01:47

Plan: LC cycle w/keto REAL FOOD
Stats: 141/126/112 Female 166 cm
BF:26/21/Lean
Progress: 52%

Unfortunately your mom has bought into all the media stories. There is no point whining at her to change her mind - you'll have to present her with different evidence.

Sit down and say you are really unhappy with your weight and need to switch to a healthier way of eating. DEFINITELY get the book, read it with her. Maybe she'll be interested in doing it too.

If she's still not listening then just do it anyway, you'll just have to demonstrate how healthy it is. Show her your healthy meals. Pepper omelettes, tuna salad, grilled chicken breast with veggies. How can she think that is unhealthy?
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 07:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175/167.8/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 12%

Is your mom overweight by chance? If she is, you should definitely talk her into doing it. Tell her that if she still feels it's unhealthy after two weeks, that you'll just go it alone without her support. I was 18 when I first started Atkins, and I can't really remember how I brought it up to my mom, but she did some research and we went on it together. My mom was pretty overweight at the time, and the next morning she had dropped 8 pounds (I know this isn't typical and mostly water weight, but it's still more loss than if she had been doing low-cal or even just starving herself). Needless to say, she was sold. And even if your mom isn't overweight, she can still get a lot out of low-carbing.

Like what was mentioned before, she's probably just listening to all the nay-sayers out there...they assume that we just eat piles of bacon and mayo out of the jar. I know some people do that, but I eat WAAAAAY better when I'm on Atkins than otherwise..I eat lean meats cooked in healthy oils, and a ton more vegetables than I normally would. In fact, I was at my all time heaviest when I was a vegetarian. To end my rant, I'll just say that most reputable sources will say that this is a completely safe and effective way to lose weight. We managed to evolve into homo sapiens without one single bagel.
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-08, 08:18
at peace with myself

Plan: Healthy choices
Stats: 201/191.6/144 Female 5 ft 8n
BF:
Progress: 16%

You are certainly old enough to make healthy choices for your body.

My advice is just tell your mom that you want to eat healthy and leave the terms "low carb, Atkins, counting carbs" out of it.

Count your carbs to yourself. Eat as healthily as possible with veggies and good quality meats. No one in the whole world can dispute that.

Just don't talk about it with your mom. Just do it. Say "no thank you" to food offerings that don't work for you.

The proof is in the pudding. When you slim down and feel good there is nothing anyone can say.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 00:00

Plan: Low carb vegetarian ^_^
Stats: 107/107/89 Female 5" 2'
BF:
Progress: 0%

my parents are the same way :/ arggggggg
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 08:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 190/186/150 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverella
plus when she has doubts about something it makes me think i am doing something bad for me.

This is a hard feeling to get over, but trust me, eventually you will and must. We look to our parents for everything for so long, it just becomes natural to feel that way.

Be confident in yourself and do whats right for you first, and whats right for everyone else second.

I second the idea of keeping the carb counting et al to your self. Its hard for a mom to argue with meat and veggies. Another suggestion would be to ease into it. Start by cutting out junk foods like pizza, chips and fries. No one can argue that is unhealthful. Then slowly move onto the more 'normal' foods like bread. You mom might not even really pay attention to that.

Good luck low carbing, you will feel great!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 08:40
Carnivore

Plan: <50 net/day
Stats: 368/305/190 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 35%

I think if you get the book and have the research to back up your choices, you will feel more confident. That will help with your mom and induction.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jul-05-11, 11:00

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

If your mom is old school low cal, low fat, she may have trouble hearing new information from her DD. Up till now she has been responsible for getting things right for you - and it's been working because you have this doubt -( if your mom doesn't like it, could it be the wrong thing to do?)

could you ask her what her concerns are, and address them one by one as they come up?
If you address her concerns, and she still thinks your approach is wrong, then you can gently say, thank you for your concern mom but we will have to agree to disagree on this one.

Like if she is concerned about fats, just show her something like Mark Sisson's article and tell her this is modern thinking about why it is safe.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/

Or if her concerns are lack of healthy whole grains, show her the new thinking about whole grains.

She has a LOT to learn and breaking it down might make it more palatable.

I realize this might be unpopular but I would not address her concerns with any Atkins book. Old school people, that just reinforces the red flags from conventional thinking and puts their back up. Something like Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint with tons of veggies and fruit, or Nora Gedgoudas' Primal Body Primal Mind.

I am 5'3 and if I had figured out the right diet for me at your age, oh my gosh, I would save myself not just from a few extra pounds but lifetime obesity. A few extra pounds are the wake up call! I applaud you!