Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 10:37

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 380/350/190
BF:
Progress:
Default New member

Well I am back at it again. 25 years ago I lost 185 pounds on Weight Watchers but did not manage to keep it off. A co-worker has convinced me to try low-carbing. So far I have lost 20 pounds in three weeks but of course I am slowing down, I still weigh 350 pounds so I have a long, long way to go. Any tips from anyone who has lost a lot of weight would be appreciated. I really miss the bread and potatoes especially.
Sometimes I get a little tired of meat and salads. I need all the help that I can get right now.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 10:55

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/176/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 55%

Congrats on your huge loss! That is a great start!

If you check the "recipes" and "Karen" links at the top of the page you find a whole bunch of awesome recipes. I have not tried the bread recipes but they sound awesome. If you are really craving potatoes try some mashed cauliflower with butter and sour cream or cream cheese. You can do a search in the low carb kitchen forum and find lots of great suggestions as well. Once you find the right variety of foods to keep your WOE interesting, this is the easiest eating plan you'll have ever been on!!

The 'experts' on this board are great so I am sure you will find lots of other great advice here as well!
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 13:31

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Welcome to the group! Stina said it very well, took the words out of me mouth
One thing I keep telling myself is CARBS = FAT. Dr Atkins says that insulin converts carbs not needed for immediate energy needs to fat, thus my mantra of carbs = fat. Is being fat worth eating that baked potatoe? Not for me. It's a mind thing that you'll have to work out yourself. If you are hungry or having cravings, try using more good fats, olive oil, butter, mayo, salad dressing at your meals. You won't get as hungry so fast & it may curb some cravings. You've done great so far, keep it up!
Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 14:21
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jimmy,

Welcome to the forum!

You must be feeling pretty proud of yourself with your 20 lb. loss.

Lowering carbs dramatically is tough at first. The physical craving is broken at this time and it's an important first step.

On of the truly great features about low carbing is that you can eat real food! And you never half to go hungry. Your body will never be deprived of what it needs to live on. Your mind may be, but that's another story. Learning how to cook and eat new things (for some!) is also a big bonus.

Some of us have taken low-carbing on as a way of life. We never want to go back to our old way of eating. One of the things I did to psyche myself up for low carbing was to tell myself that I've eaten almost everything I've needed to taste. I know what it all tastes like, so I don't need to eat it to live.

I noticed in your profile that you describe yourself as an addict. I'm one too. I'll tell you a bit about my own experience.

Sugar is my "drug" of choice. By taking the drug away, I had to deal with my "feelings". Angry, sad, happy, it all comes up to the surface. So, what I've been teaching myself to do over the two years that I've been LC is learning to deal with it. Not by hiding, not by becoming defensive, not by blowing it off but by facing whatever I am most afraid of. Low-carbing has given me one of the greatest tools I've ever posessed. The rest has been up up to me to provide. I'm an addict, so substitutes are like my version of methadone.

Every time you want to reach for that carb or carb substitute, ask yourself WHY? You may still end up eating it, but examination of the impulse behind it and getting "back on the wagon" right away is what will make you truly successful in the long run. That's when low carbing becomes a way of life, not just a diet, and something you'll be happy to do for the rest of your life.

The Journal/Bootcamp section is a great place to start a journal. You don't have to spill your guts there if you don't want to - just record what you've been eating on a daily basis. Have a look at other members journals. There is a Triple Digit forum for those who want to lose 100 lbs.+ You never no where gems of wisdom may fall from.

Jimmy, I hope you feel comfortable enough here to stay after taking a look around.

Keep coming back. It works if you work it!

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-01, 17:02

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

hi jimmy and welcome! you're doing great so far! what a terrific loss. i lost on weightwatchers....several times! lol! i was always hungry and thinking about food. sometimes now i realize that i've missed lunch. i used to worry about missing a meal in case i died! how could i be happy for eternity in heaven, knowing i'd missed lunch! i'm irish/italian, so i used to live on pasta and potatoes. i can honestly say i don't miss them. i've been lcing for over 2 years. we always need more men on this board! right wa'il and dan? hehehehe!