Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/175.0/150 Female 5 feet 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default Dry Skin Brushing to Tighten Skin & Reduce Cellulite

Found this on another Atkins board...I think I'm going to start doing it.

DRY SKIN BRUSHING

It is WELL known that the Skin is the LARGEST Organ in the Body, and is responsible for one-fourth of the Body's Detoxification each day, also making it, one of the most IMPORTANT Elimination Organs! The Skin is also known as the "3rd" Kidneys and the Lungs are known as the "2nd" Kidneys. TOXICITY can gather beneath the Skin's Surface from such COMMON Influences such as IMPROPER pH levels in Body, Soaps, Skin Creams and Anti-Perspirants, plus Synthetic Fibers worn NEXT to the Skin with ANY of them contributing to a variety of Skin Problems and Conditions. When you do Skin Brushing, you HELP your Lymph System to CLEAN itself of the TOXINS, that COLLECT in the Lymph Glands. You use a Simple Technique to IMPROVE the Surface Circulation on the Skin and KEEP the Pores of the Skin OPEN, encouraging your Body's Discharge of Metabolic Wastes, and resulting in an IMPROVED ability to COMBAT Bacteria, plus HELPING your Skin to look and feel HEALTHIER and MORE RESILIENT! Skin Brushing is a PERFECT Treatment for SELF-HELP Enthusiasts.

• Benefits:
  • TIGHTENS Skin.
  • HELPS Digestion.
  • REMOVES Cellulite.
  • STIMULATES Circulation.
  • INCREASES Cell Renewal.
  • CLEANS Lymphatic System.
  • REMOVES Dead Skin Layers.
  • STRENGTHENS Immune System.
  • IMPROVES Exchange between Cells.
  • STIMULATES the Glands, thus helping ALL of the
    Body Systems to perform at PEAK EFFICIENCY!
  1. How To Do:
  2. Buy a NATURAL, NOT Synthetic, Bristle Brush, since it does NOT SCRATCH the Surface of the Skin.
  3. Buy a Brush with a LONG Handle, so that you're ABLE to get to the Areas of your Body, that are NOT EASY to reach, when doing your own Skin Brushing.
  4. Skin Brush, before Showering or Bathing, at least ONCE per day, and TWICE, if possible.
  5. Do NOT wet Skin, since it will NOT have the SAME Effect, because this stretches the Skin.
  6. ALWAYS Skin Brush towards the Heart.
  7. Do Circular Counter-Clockwise Strokes on the Abdomen.
  8. Do LIGHTER Strokes over and around Breasts, but do NOT Brush the Nipples.
  9. Brush each part of the Body several times VIGOROUSLY, COMPLETELY Brushing the WHOLE Body.
  10. Brush the Soles of the Feet FIRST, because the Nerve Endings there affect the WHOLE Body, next Brush the Ankles, Calves, and Thighs, then Brush across your Stomach and Buttocks and lastly Brush your Hands to the Arms.
  11. Take a WARM Bath or Shower, which should always be followed by a COOL Rinse at the end to INVIGORATE Blood Circulation and STIMULATE Surface Warmth.
  12. Wash your Brush every few Weeks in Water and let it DRY.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 12:05
SPOILED

Plan: Atkins Life Maintenance!
Stats: 184/152/154 Female 173 cm/5,8
BF:In right places...
Progress: 107%

This absolutely works! So do baths in sea salt...or in REAL sea if you're lucky to live near one.........

Alina
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 12:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 69%

I've been doing this for a couple of months and love it! All of your skin becomes baby-soft and smooth.

Our local WalMart has a natural bristle brush with a long wooden handle for under $4. The head is round and about 4.5 inches in diameter. Look in cosmetics department, I think the brand is Lady Elizabeth.

Last edited by AzureMoon : Mon, Dec-15-03 at 21:22.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 12:13
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I love skin-brushing as well. While I don't know how much it's actually helping with cellulite, and I don't know if I buy the argument about it "helping flush toxins out of your system," I do agree that it makes my skin super baby-soft, and that feels great.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 15:09
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

It can help with sellulite. So can all those creams. Where the actual benifit to cellulite comes from is the increase in circullation. Cellulite is little pockets of fat. Dry skin brushing is a vigerous deep form of massage. It improves circulation, and also exfoliates making skin smoother.

Other things that can help:
1. Exercise. This one actually helps the most as building lean mass means improved circulation. Improved circulation means less cellulite, higher metabolism, less cold in extreamities, and so on.

2. Along with skin brussing, giving yourself a good massage with lotions.

3. Keep well hydrated. This improves many things including skin elasticity. It can help with cellulite, stretch marks, and saggy skin.

4. Be careful of clothing that is so tight it can actually cut off circulation. Getting undies that fit and aren't too small or to big also help alot with snuggies and preventing that problem where the elastic digs into your legs.

5. Cut back on caffine and sodium. I don't remember why this one works, I belive it again has to do with circulation abd blood pressure.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 15:14

Plan: Atkins/Duodenal Switch
Stats: 344/165/148 Female 65"  (inches) 5'5"
BF:falllingfast
Progress: 91%

I used to have to brush my son for therapy reasons and we learned by brushing me--it feels GOOOOOOOOD. Now to get a brush with a handle...

though sounds like it'll take an hour each time and I dont have it..lol
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 15:16
Diet Cokeaholic

Plan: Whole foods moderation
Stats: 221/215/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

It does feel good...a little rough on the skin at first but invigorating. Takes me about 10 minutes to do my whole body, but it could easily take me longer if I had the time to spend!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 21:26

Stats: 259/191/160 Female 69 inches
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenzday
... Now to get a brush with a handle...

I'll just quote myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureMoon
Our local WalMart has a natural bristle brush with a long wooden handle for under $4. The head is round and about 4.5 inches in diameter. Look in cosmetics department, I think the brand is Lady Elizabeth.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-03, 23:52

Stats: 160/154/125 Female 5ft. 3in.
BF:
Progress: 17%

Never heard of this one, might have to try it! Although the time thing might be a problem!! I will have to be quick about it, LOL!!

Bug
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 00:24
Registered Member

Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:

I read about this recently! I'm going to try it... it can't hurt!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-03, 00:34

Plan: atkins
Stats: 205/150/127 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 71%

Wow, this sounds great! I'm going to give it a try too. You guys always have such great ideas.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 15:00
Italian Princess

Stats: 278/262/115 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 10%

Dry brushing seems a bit harsh...this is what I do and have done since about 16. I originally pasted this in another forum, but I thought I would do well here too.

I have always taken extremely good care of my skin. I don't have any stretch marks, vericose veins or anything like that even though I beleive, genetically, I should because my mom has all that stuff. I beleive, in addition to exercise, what I do to keep my skin healthy now will reduce the excess skin problem that I will face when I begin to lose a lot of weight.

My "secret" is that I religiously exfoliate and use cocoa butter every day. Exfoliating is the process of scrubbing away dead skin cells to reveal the new layer of healthy skin. Not only does it do that, but with vigorous exfoliation you are also stimulating the many layers of skin cells, thus encouraging blood flow. I believe that is the key to keeping skin elastic as well as smooth.

The mitt I use for exfoliating is found at the Body Shop and is available online. I use it in the shower with Tone Cocoa Butter soap. You can find it here:

http://www.usa.thebodyshop.com/web/...25&is_mac=false

I also use cocoa butter religiously which is used not only to soften skin but is a widely accepted cure for stretch marks and scars. I swear by it. Queen Helene makes the best and most econmical one out there. A bottle close to a quart costs less than $5.00. I use the lotion daily and the creme when I have a spa day and on my feet for a pedicure (because it is very thick and oily). I find it at Rite Aid here in the states. http://www.queenhelene.com/

Not only has this regimen worked to keep my skin elastic and visually beautiful, but also makes my boyfriend happy because I have the "softest skin he has ever felt."

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Alleine : Mon, May-03-04 at 15:05.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 15:53

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

Just a quick note on the Queen Helene cocoa butter....you can also find it at Sally Beauty.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:05
SanePsychoSuprGodess

Stats: 205/191/115 Female 5' 1"
BF:46%/41%/20%
Progress: 16%

I would love to try this but I am afraid of smelling like cocoa butter at work. Does the Queen Helene have a strong scent?
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-03-04, 16:30
{{{Kickin Ash}}}

Plan: Atkins 1972
Stats: 223/190/160 Female 5ft8
BF:OUT OF CONTROL
Progress: 52%

It feels really good to let dh brush my back for me. Soo relaxing.I think he likes it a lil too much, hehehehehe.