Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Schwarzbein Principle
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What percentage of your body weight did you lose in your first 6 months?
I haven't been on TSP for six months yet. 18 54.55%
I haven't followed TSP exclusively. 3 9.09%
I started over 200 pounds and have lost less than 10% of my body weight in 6 the first six months. 1 3.03%
I started over 200 pounds and have lost 10% or more of my body weight in 6 the first six months. 5 15.15%
I started under 200 pounds and have lost less than 10% of my body weight in 6 the first six months. 4 12.12%
I started under 200 pounds and have lost 10% or more of my body weight in 6 the first six months. 3 9.09%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 16:50

Plan: TSP/PPLP/low-cal/My own
Stats: 250/209/150 Female 63.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 41%
Wink I don't get it -- Poll

OK, I just read this thread:

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...1845#post491845

It's a report on a study that followed 80 people on an Atkinsesque diet for six months. They could eat all the eggs, cheese and meat they wanted and were limited to 25 grams of carbs a day.

The study showed that the program was safe and sustainable. It also showed that the participants' cholesterol levels were lowered. And although it didn't mention it, their triglycerides were probably lower also. All good news for low-carb plans in general.

Now the reason I'm posting this here and not as a reply on that thread is the part I don't get: The people in the study lost an average of 10% of their body weight in the six months (an average of 20 pounds, so they all had a fair amount to lose). What I don't get is that I have lost over 10% of my body weight in six months also and I get to eat a lot more carbs than what is allowed on Atkins and in the study.

So my question is: What percentage of your body weight did you lose in your first six months? Are we getting to eat high on the hog and still experiencing the weight-reduction benefits that Atkins followers do? I know that there are some here who have not shed any weight or very little weight yet. So what is the average?

And one more selection I forgot to add to the poll was if you didn't start TSP to lose weight. I have a friend who is a TSPer for her health. She didn't want or need to lose weight.

Poll Notes: The last question should be "under" 200 pounds like the one before it. Sorry for the typo.

;-Deb

Last edited by DebPenny : Thu, Aug-15-02 at 09:49.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 17:14

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Cool

Hi Deb,
This is a great idea, thanks for posting it.

I'm your second vote, and as of now, it's just you and me, a 50-50 vote. My stats are SO CLOSE to 10%, but not quite, so I was forced to vote in the "over 200 pounds, less than 10%" category.

I'd lost 31-pounds by my 6-month anniversary on SP, which is 4-pounds shy of being 10%.

In reality, I'm sure my weight loss would have been greater if I had not had my weekend splurges, and had I been more enthusiastic about exercise.

Well, that's my 2%, er 2 cents worth. :lol
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Aug-14-02, 17:32

BF:

Thanks, Betty. It would be interesting to see a similar poll of people on Atkins. But I won't go there. I do know they are supposed to lose weight faster than us on TSP. But I'm curious anyway. I have not felt "slighted" at all by my rate of loss or that I can have wonderful dishes with lots of veges and sauce. I cook with wine a lot!

I you can have the best of two worlds, I think that's what we have on TSP.

;-Deb
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 03:08

Plan: BFL with SP
Stats: 167/158.5/150 Female 63ins
BF:31/26/20
Progress: 50%

Hello Deb

I couldn't complete the poll because, although I read about SP last year and started it, I then changed to Atkins because I wanted a faster weight loss.

On Atkins, I felt very deprived and started bingeing, put the weight back on. So I went back to SP this year, because I decided I could lose the weight slowly, no rush, but keep it right off for good. I started properly from the beginning of June. I don't feel deprived, feel very healthy and (keeping my fingers crossed here) can stick to it pretty well.

The weight does seem to come off very slowly compared to the big weight loss I had in the beginning, on both plans. However, I feel I can sustain this loss more easily on SP. I've lost about half a stone (3%?)since April and exercise has helped.

Good idea, having the poll - it will be interesting to see the results

Judy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Aug-15-02, 07:46

Plan: Scharzbein principle
Stats: 187/187/147 Female 166cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

interesting..

I think it might be a factor that TSP is so much easier in that you can have a little of whatever carb you fancy an odd time?

so less likely to cheat?

just my idea
Clo
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-18-02, 15:08

Plan: schwarzbein
Stats: 200/172/140
BF:
Progress: 47%

DebPenny,
Interesting question.
It is my theory that the Atkins way is faster, but more susceptable to cheating and splurges because it is so severe. I tried it for almost 2 weeks when I was feeling frustrated over slow loss and I couldn't sustain it. I came back in a hurry. I don't think we cheat because we do not need to cheat. We can have what we want on this plan. I don't find myself even wanting to cheat except on very rare occaision and it has passed quickly. Some days I feel like superwomen because I make all the goodies that got us into trouble for a living. I have kicked the addiction I am rarely tempted. When I am, I try to remember what I was like when I was using. (drug terminology, but very true to my situation. I am addicted) I am a great believer now in, "Slow and steady wins the race."
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 02:31
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate addicts diet
Stats: 217.2/179.7/172
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default Anti-Binge suggestion

Hi There,

Im fairly new to this but.... I had no idea there were so many variations of low-carb diets.

It caught my attention when you mentioned that Atkins made you wanmt to binge. I have followed the Carbohydrate addicts diet for over 3 months and have lost around 32 pounds.

The great thing about this diet is that the main theory is that you restrict your carbys to a 60 minute period and although not meant to be a binge you can even have a dessert of some knid.

My days generally go:
Breakfast: Eggs
lunch: Salad
Dinner: Pasta Dished, Steak and potatoes, Stiry frys with rice and a chocolate bar.

Sounds absurd but ive lost over 2 stone this way !!!! And never feel the need to binge because i can have a treat every day!!
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:52

BF:

I tried CAD and did okay. I found myself out of balance and soon off the wagon. For me because of my own addiction something like CAD is too tempting and I can't handle the temptation. Aussiemike, Congrats on your 32 pounds. Feels great doesn't it? Stick with the plan that works for you. Don't let anyone tell you your wrong or their way is better. There are a lot of paths to the same place. Good on you for finding yours.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 09:03
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Judy,

its so true though too.. Its like a lot of things, Its not a one size fits all!!

I do feel great though, Funny how after 2 years of desperate low-calorie dieting , getting nowhere and then finally this! Its amazing!

Congrats on your weight loss too - IS that 24 pounds? Great!!

Tell me, I am seeing this Schwarzbein principle all over the place too.. Whats the basci theory of it?

Cheers
Mike
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 18:02

BF:

24 pounds feels wonderful. i should say the lack of 24 pounds is wonderful.
Schwarzbein is probaly the easiest of the plans to live with forever. She regulates starchy carbs and does not allow artificial sweetners. Her program is all about balance and health. Her book is wonderful. You might pick it up and read it. A typical meal for me would be meat, green vege, another vege and maybe a ryekrisp or piece of low carb bread. I can live with this plan the rest of my life. no more yoyos. People are waiting on me got to go.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 12:58

Plan: Whole Foods Since 2/02
Stats: 360.5/174.5/200 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 116%
Cool Hi Mike!

Glad to hear you've been doing so well on CAD!

As Judy mentioned, SP is about balance and health. The weight loss is a result of eating healthfully. It's a whole foods WOE, designed to help the body heal itself so one can live longer without getting diabetes, heart disease and a host of other maladies.

I was on CAD for about 9 months one time, or there about (can't remember) and I lost some weight, but I didn't change my way of eating. I still ate nothing but crap. Pastas, potatoes, sugar, caffeine, all that stuff that was killing me--and just b/c it was once a day for an hour, I felt like I was okay.

But I always felt tired and yucky and had horrible IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) from eating all those carbs once a day! Nothing changed, unfortunately, except I lost some weight.

But it really screwed me up, and made me crave the sugar even more, to the point I went off it altogether, gained the weight plus an additional 30 more, finally putting me over 350 pounds! I would spend the entire day thinking about and plotting what my reward meal was going to be! I was utterly and completely obsessed about eating carbs on the CAD. No kidding.

Now, on SP years later, I have no thoughts about eating, other than to plan dinners for my hubby and myself. It's like my mind is finally free from prison! In fact, this is the biggest blessing about being on SP to me--total freedom and peace from food--what a concept!

For me, healthy whole foods has FINALLY made me feel good, inside and out. My medical stats are wonderful now, my blood pressure is excellent now--the improvements I never got on CAD, unfortunately. But everyone must do what they feel is best for themselves.

Wishing you well in your weight loss journey. You've done great so far!!! Stop by anytime!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 13:31

BF:

Hi, Betty. That was so great what you said about CAD. And the main reason I have never tried it. Pure, unadulterated fear.

Like you, I feel so free on TSP. I used to plan and scheme what I would eat at the next three or four meals. Now, if I don't have a plan for dinner, I don't stress over it. I always have the makings for a quick, easy stir fry. And it's so much more fun to cook now too.

And for me this is compared to my previous life of eating mostly carbs.

;-Deb
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 02:15
Registered Member

BF:
Default CAD

HI Betty,

That sounds great.

I love the CAD because it works for me personally and i can see that that is what you are saying too. My own experience, i dont obsess about my evening meal, in fact not having carbs most of the day and so am not getting the insulin messing up my body i dont get those awful food cravings i used to and feel free of my old enemy - unbearable hunger!!!

I dont intend to follow this forever because then id shrivel into nothing. So ill probably be looking for something a bit more wholistic once ive hit my goal weight.

I had a similar experience to your CAD experience with atkins - that is such an extreme, punishing diet. Seems almost self-abusive!!

Anyway, better get back to work. Nice to hear from you. This website is great!!

Bye
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 23:39

BF:

Doesn't it feel great to know we have found something that works for us?

#15   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 02:12
Registered Member

BF:

Hi,

ABSOLUTELY, After trying EVERYTHING i am finally losing weight and only need to lose another 10 or so pounds to be at my goal weight.

I was looking at some pictures of myself from 6 months ago and i lok so FAT! It was awful but now im even strting to feel like my NEW clothes are getting too BIG.

What part of Northern CA do you live in Judy ?

Mike