Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 12:55

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 227/224/145 Female 5' 2.5
BF:
Progress: 4%
Question New to Low-carbing (start tomorrow)

Hello All !!
I'm new to this low-carb dieting. Always thought it was the fat you had to watch. I bought Dr. Atkin's New Diet Revolution a couple of weeks ago and the info on carb addiction is like reading a description of myself. I really think this is the WOE for me. Still a little unsure about allot of things but I think I'll do okay once I get going. I went shopping yesterday and bought all the right foods (everything in the induction phase that I like or thought I'd like to try, even bought avocados and have no idea how to eat them , LOL) I couldn't find bacon that didn't have nitrites so didn't get any at all.

I got my initial blood work done last week and got my results on Friday. I'm a member of Curves and am planning to get weighed and measured tomorrow morning. My mother bought me an Atkins Journal for my Birthday and I am also a member of the Atkins site.

I'm starting tomorrow so any tips ya'll have on anything to do with low-carbing would be greatly appreciated, I could use all the help I can get.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 13:27

Plan: atkins
Stats: 178/153.4/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

Welcome to the forum. Just reading through all the messages on here helps me with any question I have and it will not only keep you motivated you'll find new friends. Good Luck to you!!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Welcome. I love Yarmouth - it is such a beautiful place. I've even been there in the winter!

You eat an avocado by cutting it in half - there's a big round seed in the center but it slips out easily. Then just use a spoon to eat the lovely green innards. It is also great with a seafood salad like crab & mayonnaise. There are recipes on this board that use it- have a look around.

About the bacon: some organic or home-made type butchers don't use nitrites but I have been eating ordinary bacon for ages. It's a good idea to get Low-salt type as too much sodium can make you retain water. But I LOVE bacon.

The biggest tip is FOLLOW THE BOOK. You might want to read this article if you are tempted to go off or get frustrated:One Golden Shot

Since you saw yourself in Dr. Atkins' description, you have probably made a very good decision for yourself.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Sep-07-03, 16:36
Slothy Superhero

Plan: Vegetarian Atkins
Stats: 165/145/125 Female 60 inches
BF:29/25.2/24
Progress: 50%

Welcome!

My beginning tips:

Get a free account at www.fitday.com This will help you track your carbs

Make sure you get your 20g a day from fresh veggies. Don't forget to subtract the fiber!

Don't be afraid of fat. This is probably the biggest mental change most of us have. Fitday will show you how much of your calories come from fat-I kept mine at 65-70%.

EAT! This is not a low calorie, starvation kind of thing. Make sure you go no longer than 5-6 hours between meals.

I hoep to see you posting your successes soon!