Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-23-03, 23:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 198/198/170
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow Wellbutrin and Atkin's Diet?

I am currently on wellbutrin. It has helped me to stop smoking. Will wellbutrin get in the way of me losing weight on a low carb diet?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-24-03, 15:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5' 7"
BF:too much

I too, take Wellbutrin... Ususlly antideppressants make it a little harder to loose. (from what I've heard) and I don't know if one kind does more than another...

Anyway, I'm supposed to take 2/day, and for a long time I have only been taking 1. (only cuz I forget lol)

Recently I dedided to just go off them. I want to see if it makes a difference with losing or not.

I am a turtle

Check with your doc.

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 12:23
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 198/198/170
BF:

Shelly I have read that wellbutrin can be used as a weight lose pill. Who knows...
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 13:48

Stats: 299/288/197
BF:
Progress: 11%
Default Wellbutrin

I was told that Wellbutrin stops cravings. My doc gave it to me once for depression. She also told me it should help with my craving for food also.
I am not sure if it will slow down weight loss though.
Pudgyman you really dont have that much to lose so take it easy and one day at a time. you will get there!
Toodles,
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-25-03, 16:22
Registered Member

Stats: 207/202/150
BF:40%
Progress: 9%
Default Wellbutrin

My doctor put me on Wellbutrin, as opposed to other anti-depressants, because he said it doesn't make you gain weight. I am just now back on the Atkins diet. I did Atkins a few months ago before WEllbutrin. Not much change on the scale but I went down 2 clothes sizes. Cheers, Chiqui
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 12:42
Registered Member

Stats: ???/???/???
BF:
Progress: 4%
Smile I'm also on Wellbutrin

My doctor put me on Wellbutrin originally to help give me some energy. In 1998, I was at a good weight for me...I also worked out 5 times a week...and quite a bit of weight training... in August 1998, I had a severe asthma attack, was in the hospital....I was put on prednzone <sp> for a long time....about 4.5 months...then on some other asthma meds...Anyway, during this time I gained almost 80 pounds....

Well...I finally got my asthma under control...and in May2002, I got off everything except Singular and Servent...(which don't make me gain) even though I was beginning to lose some of the weight 7 lbs in the first week off the meds, not evening trying... I felt terrible...I didn't have enough energy to put one foot in front of the other....I was worn out when I woke up....that's when my doctor put me on Wellbutrin and told me I had to lose the weight...I was on WW until Christmas...(I fell off that wagon)
What made me think to try LC I do not know.....I guess I found a DR Atkins book I had gotten a couple of years ago (along with Sugar Busters, Carb Addict..... another one that I can't remember the name) LOL

But, my point is (finally huh) the doctor told me not to go off the Wellbutrin....it really helped with my energy level and he said he had had some results with people taking it for weight loss...

That's my $2.50 anyway!!!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-06-03, 13:55
Registered Member

Default Hope you're feeling better

Dear ReneeTN:
I sincerely hope you're feeling better. I've never had asthma and I've only been hospitalized once in my life. It was for breast cancer, first stage, and I caught it in time. Luckily I didn't have to go thru chemo, just radiation. I'm almost at the 5 year mark and I am very grateful. I feel that being overweight had something to do with the cancer. The high stress didn't help either.

I just looked at your profile and our ages arent that far apart. Gee, how do you keep up with full time work and teenagers at home? I used to travel a lot in my job and it's hard to keep on a diet. Too many cheap carbs on those menus or, even worse, the corner store or the machine when everything else is closed.

So that's my $2.50, which converts to about $3.75 in Canadian!

Cheers from Chiqui
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 01:20
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi Chiqui

I'm glad to hear you are cancer-free for 5 years...that is wonderful!!!

Quote:
Gee, how do you keep up with full time work and teenagers at home?

Well, I couldn't with my wonderful hubby, Michael... he is dad & mom when I'm on the road....my oldest son, Matt is in college this year.....we see him on the weekends sometimes...and Kyle(17) is still at home of course. I have been traveling, in this job for almost 2 years, and all in all, everyone has done ok.....

I am usually gone 3 weeks a month...which I think is about to change.....we have hired another trainer, so I shouldn't have to travel so much when we get her trained!!!!!!!!!!!! Yea!!!!!!!!

As to eating on the road....well, prior to two weeks ago...I was on WW...I started that on Aug 1, 2002. I lost about 30 lbs following that... I had really become disciplined to follow that on the road...even then, sometimes I was really good....and sometimes I wasn't....it took me 3 months to lose the 30 lbs...but then I quit losing.....so after Christmas, I decided to give this a try...

Years ago....in fact, I guess back when Atkins first came out....I tried the diet and did real well...of course I only needed to lose enough weight so I would look better in a bikini...LOL

So, I've been on LC for 2 weeks....I am not having the success I had thought I would....I'm doing something wrong or something that is preventing me from losing as well as I thought I would...but I'm certain I can do it...and I actually think I can stick with it easier on the road better than I could with WW.

I guess one help is that I have never been that much a bread or sweets person......don't get me wrong....I like them...I'm just not as tempted by them as I would be if you told me I could not have cheese....which is something I had trouble with WW over...LOL

Maybe we can help keep each other motivated..... tell me about yourself and how your doing.....

#9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 10:24
Registered Member

Default ReneeTN

Hi Renee: I just responded to you on another thread. Looks like we have some common concerns.

I also tried Atkins when it first came out and had tremendous success with it. That was quite a while ago. Not only our lives change over the years, but our bodies too. I did Atkins fairly consistently for 3 months last year. Hardly lost any weight but went down 2 dress sizes. Now I have to start again.

I freelance and sometimes have to wear a uniform, and they're getting tighter. If you're a trainer, your in front of an audience, talking to them. Me too. We have to look professional to do our job.

Once I get talking, I'm so into the theme that I forget about the bulges. But it's bothersome and I feel it's holding me back. For instance, I have an interview for another company on Saturday (I work for 6 co's). We all know that better looking frequently means better job.

I'm divorced, no kids. My work and lifestyle have taken me to many places; I've lived up & down the Americas. Due to a circumstance over a year ago, I bought the house I was living in. So now I'm anchored. My industry suffered after 9/11 and I would never afford the mortgage on what I earn. So I rent the 2 upstairs bedrooms and I sleep in the basement - just me and the furnace. I don't regret the decision and it makes for an interesting household.

I started seeing a therapist 3 mos ago, he put me on Wellbutrin. I never wanted to take medication but in hindsight it's for the better. You make better decisions when you're not so downtrodden. And I've made some advances.

Generally, I have a happy demeanor and can relate to people very well (bet you're like that too). But when I'm home, alone with my own thoughts and unifinished business, that's when I eat. At least it's food and not alcohol or drugs or worse.

Take care and hope to hear from you.

Cheers from Chiqui
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:00
Registered Member

BF:
Smile hi there!

Good morning!

Yes, I'm full of concerns

I think one of my concerns is that this woe is sssssssoooo different from WW, and I was fairly successful with that... that because I'm having a slow start to LC, I am questioning that this woe is really for me.....

I believe that LC is the only way for many ppl....and that low calorie/fat is the way for others..... I mean it has to be a lifestyle change...and if you can live with and are happier with a low fat lifestyle and your healthy (most important) then that's what a person should do...

However, if that either hasn't worked or you can't make it your way of life....then Low Carb could be the way to go...I think (or thought) that I could do either one...but I know my current eating habits or lifestyle prior to Aug, 02 had to change...and I had to make a complete change in the way I ate...

After I lost the initial 20 or so pounds with WW...(which was actually easy for me) I founds that I might "cheat" once in a while... and cheating on WW is eating more points (calories) that day than I should have..... but it wasn't "hard" for me to follow...

Now, with LC, I have no trouble and am not even that tempted to cheat....but, it's not as easy to identify when you may be "cheating"..... does that make sense???

If I had not found this website... I would be giving up on this...since it's not been exactly what I thought it would be, but with the support I have found here, I'll stick in there...and keep searching for the answer....

You sound like me.....and I didn't really realize it until you said

Quote:
But when I'm home, alone with my own thoughts and unifinished business, that's when I eat.

Do you want to eat when you aren't hungry?

I sometimes have a problem knowing IF I am hungry or just want to eat.....that started after the asthma attack that started this huge weight gain... I want to eat, especially when I am alone, tired, stressed, etc...

Another thing I do sometimes, I think about food alot of the time....like what I want to eat, how it will taste.....that seems strange to do that.....is it????

Question: what do you consider a craving? and how strong are cravings?

I didn't get much sleep last night, so forgive my rambling LOL...
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 11:41
Registered Member

Default ReneeTN - Cravings

Hi Again: I read someplace about HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired - the times when we eat, three of them for other reasons.

I too think about food. Not so much at home as I'm by myself and don't bring stuff into the house that shouldn't be here. But when I am out in the street (often) it's very hard for me to pass by a place and not go in.

I realized some time ago that I had "pit stops", places where I could get the type of food I liked. No, I wasnt even interested in food but certain shops were on the route to someplace I was going. And they had the foods I loved, mostly the kinds I didn't have at home or didn't know how to prepare.

That's when I get what I call "nostalgic eating". I remember in my childhood about how good such-and-such tasted. I want that feel-good experience again because my childhood was miserable. My mom, also fat, used to give us food to shut us up, make us go to sleep, appease any wrongdoing by her or to make up for the unaffordable. I learned that food and love and concern were made synonymous.

This is just fooling myself. Not only has the food and the circumstance changed, but I'm not a kid anymore. (Well, maybe sometimes.) Good feelings at this stage should come from accomplishments. I've done some great stuff, some things that not everyone attains, coming from humble beginnings. But I'm having a hard time doing the daily stuff, like making the bed, filing my papers, taking care of my clothing... like the routines you've taught your kids.

Renee, it's tough to maintain confidence and composure in front of the crowd when you had to remove a stain from your blouse which you discovered on your way out the door, couldn't find your eyeliner that morning, had to change handbags because the other one had your notes, then come back because your lipstick is in the pocket of the other coat, at infinitum.

This sounds awfully chaotic, and it is. But you know, Renee, I decided that 2003 is my clean-up year. I finally got a computer and found a couple of great websites with like-minded souls in similar circumstances. And I'm on my way.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Cheers from Chiqui