Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 13:27

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomadom
Thanks again for that.. I understand what you are saying. The potato example comes from the fact that it's only starch. I don't mean 'just potato', I just used that as a high GL (Glycemic Load) example because it does not contain the proteins that grains do. If you are high in cortisol then your digestion suffers and you have difficulty absorbing grain proteins such as gluten in wheat and avenin in oats. This can lead to an inflammatory response to your body raising stress and hence cortisol levels. Excessively high cortisol makes you insulin resistant. Grains certainly give me brain fog due to the fact that they are not broken down in the gut, they then enter the intestines and ferment.. I'm sure you know all this.

I used potato because it's just starch. I don't have IBS so I absorb them well and they are relatively safe despite the fact that they are contain dual sugar molecules. No problem.

YOU ARE RIGHT IN WHAT YOU SAY... starch may hurt some but not others... but WHY? I think it could be because of adrenal activity. Eg. A person suffers from adrenal fatigue, they are constantly tired without a boost of high GL carbs. That person heads High GL carbs and their body is less stressed because it is doing everything it has to do and is not trying to draw more energy it doesn't have. If that person doesn't receive them it stresses the body, raises cortisol and the insulin resistant affects ensue. Could it be that the level of adrenal stress in a person governs what type of carbs (high or low GL) they should eat to forge ahead? If they don't get them then their body goes into a state of stress.. You are knowledgeable, I can see that, what affect does stress have on the body in terms of weight.

I had this from a young age, before my teens. My father died young and had shaky hands as far back as I can remember. He felt stress led to this. But I now think that his condition (stressed) and his life stressors, lead to this. I was developing the same body type as him until I upped my higher (Glycemic Load----- GL) carb intake with every meal. Could that be the key to weight control for a stressed body type?
I haven't seen you talk about fat yet. If you only have 10 pounds of excess fat, and you were doing lots of exercise on nothing but protein and veg, then yes, that is a stressor and could send your stress hormones high, which is a sugar-burning situation. Even if you had tons of protein you still would not have been having enough fat to fuel your fat-burning machinery and you end up staying a sugar-burner - which is what the high cortisol state is.

I would recommend reading Tom Venuto on metabolic damage. He has articles about what happens when you do high activity on low calories and why it can make you skinny fat with the roll around the middle. He's not a low carber but he does advocate low carbs for some people in some situations.

And then read Mark Sisson. He has articles on why fat is the preferred fuel, and higher carb adaptations for athletes.

Mark Sisson also talks about stress and rest from a balance of activity and the food to fuel such activity. There's no one article for your specific question. It's not that some people go low carb and then cortisol goes high so they have to eat carbs, there is so much more going on.

It's like teaser said, some people burn glucose more quickly than their body can make it from protein, especially when they're also not eating fat and who knows how much protein, and are not fat-adapted. That is definitely a stressor. But it also depends on what's your volume and frequency of sugar-burning exercise, what protein and fat you're eating, what is your volume and frequency of rest. very individual in my opinion.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 13:35

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Tomadom, welcome to the forums. Stick around and we'll help you figure it out.

I sorta can't help you at this moment but I'll post later when I have some time.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 13:59

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

There are people promoting resistant starch - you might want to look that up. They may have answers for you.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 14:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Well, if Nancy's a troll, she's under her home bridge.
All hail the Dark Troll Queen.

Thanks! Now pay the troll toll!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 02:31

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Tomadom, you said you eat lean meats. That's not in the Atkins diet books. Not sure what else you eat but I suggest you read the Atkins book again and pay attention to details especially the section on allowed/disallowed foods. Atkins is not low-fat. It's high-fat. Fat meats, butter, lard, and if you like veggie oils go ahead with those as well. For the rest, read your Atkins book as needed.

The simplified explanation of how it works is this: Carbohydrates -> insulin -> fat tissue. The more carbs -> the higher insulin -> the bigger fat tissue. It's simplified but it's a good start.

Check out Sam Feltham's experiments. It illustrates very well how it works: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=453297

For example, when he ate low-carb, his waist shrank. Then when he ate high-carb, his waist got wider. But in both experiments, he ate exactly the same amount of calories. This ain't about calories. It's about hormones, especially insulin.

OK, so now you know a bit more about how it works, how do you put that to good use? Well, like I said, I suggest you read your Atkins book again cuz it's the best diet tested to date: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=439408

Yeah I know I started that thread but read the paper yourself and make up your own mind. Chris Gardner, the researcher for the A-TO-Z study, posted a video on yootoob about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eREuZEdMAVo
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 03:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/195/187 Male 180 cm
BF:
Progress: 65%

Thanks for all the info, but the whole point of this post was to find if there is any possible answer to my original post. The Atkins diet, the figures the forum made me enter when I registered are totally irrelevant for this question. If I had the choice to leave them out if would have.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 05:17

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You can fill in your weight with zeroes.

I think all you can get are n=1's here. Studies I've seen comparing a ketogenic diet to a non-ketogenic low carb diet generally don't make certain that the ketogenic diet is actually ketogenic. I've tried carbups, or adding one potato or a banana to my daily diet for periods of time. I workout on a regular basis, and I've never seen any obvious benefit of eating a bit more carbohydrate. I don't do much running or other endurance exercise, though. That just triggers asthma for me. I do do some fairly high volume weight lifting, though.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 05:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/195/187 Male 180 cm
BF:
Progress: 65%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
You can fill in your weight with zeroes.

I think all you can get are n=1's here. Studies I've seen comparing a ketogenic diet to a non-ketogenic low carb diet generally don't make certain that the ketogenic diet is actually ketogenic. I've tried carbups, or adding one potato or a banana to my daily diet for periods of time. I workout on a regular basis, and I've never seen any obvious benefit of eating a bit more carbohydrate. I don't do much running or other endurance exercise, though. That just triggers asthma for me. I do do some fairly high volume weight lifting, though.

Thanks teaser.. I must say, it took allot of traffic to get to this point. That's exactly what I waned to find out from the start. I haven't heard anything which explains it either, despite my personal experiences.