Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 17:47

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:
Default Fed up with Fed Up

40 minutes in and its all about sugar. No in depth lesson on how carbs are processed differently than protein and fat. Waiting to hear about wheat raising blood glucose more than sugar or how we've changed its dna. No mention of the sheer number of carbohydrate grams we eat a day and how it needs to replaced by fat. No history of human ancient diet and the move to grains only 10000 years ago. No mention of the danger of vegetable fats.

Anybody watch this soft sell show? Just not far enough compared to Dr Davis's pbs special. Now that was extraordinary!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Apr-26-15, 17:57

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

At one hour they just slammed cheese and 'greasy' food that 'isn't healthful'. So if you remove all sugar (they didn't say this of course but let me add wheat) what do you add in it's place? Fat!
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 07:52

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

I couldn't even get that far. Besides it being boring, even a convert like myself was annoyed with the tone of it. So I watched maybe 15 min and moved on to other things more worth my time.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 11:07

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Proselytizing the right message and suggesting an incomplete/ incoherent solution. Yes, they know a change is necessary, and no, they have no idea what the specifics need to be to make the change effective. My reaction, they made a documentary out of this? Unfortunately, many don't want to hear about the changes that really work. At some level, the vegan/ vegetarian approach may provide some health improvements, if only due to eating whole foods and reducing sugars/ chemicals; however, I can't get past the nagging thing about recent research finding shrinking human brains due to lack of healthy saturated fat and protein. It's not touched on in this movie, as it's just one of those "little" inconvenient details the main stream never wants to confront . . .
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 12:10

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Yes, but to be fair this documentary is a year old and at the time it went further than anything that had hit the mainstream. Since then, low carb has 'almost' become mainstream so of course there is much more info the general public could tolerate hearing now. Back then many people were receiving this info for the first time and would probably have walked out of theatres if they had tried to cram everything into it that we here already knew. I brought a friend who didn't know any of this stuff - and she's the Dean of a University. I heard someone behind me gasp in surprise at one point at a particular piece of information. Fed Up could really be subtitled "Low Carb 101" or "Low Carb for Dummies", but thank goodness somebody got something out there at last.

This is what I wrote on the Fed Up thread on these forums at the time:

Quote:
It was well-made and had useful information to offer anyone who is still a devotee of low fat high carb. It gave a few tantalizing facts about the politics of why we got into this mess which I would have enjoyed learning more about, but the emphasis was on demonizing sugar. Several heartbreaking youngsters were followed; watching a 12 year old girl, who weighs more than 200lbs, crying with frustration because she couldn't lose weight even though she spent hours a day following the adults' advice to be active and exercise was particularly wrenching.

There was little or nothing I hadn't read here on this website, but my friend wanted to talk about it after so it did provide new info for her. My only criticism is that it didn't make a statement about healthywholegrains, only processed grains and sugar. Sorry, but that's not good enough. If you want to help stop the obesity crisis, tell the whole truth. Gary Taubes and Dr. Lustig didn't mince words, but I wish they'd had more time to say more.

Back to the politics: one thing I learned was that Michelle Obama's "Let's Move" campaign was originally intended to mean Let's Move to improve the food supply and consumer education. It scared the hell out of Big Food so they offered to "help" her. The first thing they did was turn it around to make Let's Move mean "let's exercise". Sadly she and the government went along with that (too timid to stand up to Big Food?). So, again, obesity is our fault for being lazy sloths, not theirs for putting sugar and starch in everything, knowing full well we cannot help but become addicted to it.

It's a start. It's more truthful about the food industry than anything has been before, but still baby steps. Even so, it's well worth going to see and definitely most useful if the experienced crowd here brought along someone to whom all this is new and eye-opening.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 12:41

BF:

Whofan - excellent review and I get your viewpoint. I agree it's a start, and I'd like to know how to move the food/ medical lobbies aside to produce "Fed Up 2" that takes the next step. I keep thinking that much of the information people need to hear is still very polarizing among many of the prominent players in the nutrition space, not to mention the inevitable clashes among the Paleo/Keto/WAP/Vegan/Vegetarian/MyPlate proponents. Unfortunately, while "Fed Up" raises the most important issue about the need to challenge dietary recommendations, it also leaves too many questions unanswered. I realized after reading your review that public awareness of this issue will only happen when nutrition authorities, mainstream media, and concerned celebrities work together to promote the message. Getting these diverse groups on the same message will prove to be the real challenge.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 10:43

BF:

After watching the movie again over the weekend, I stand by my original posts. The movie is an eye opener for those who haven't been paying attention. Agreeing on the right path leading out of this jungle of confusion is the primary, current, and most formidable road block. Conflicting information and obfuscation reigns. We've got a long way to go . . .
  #8   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 13:08

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
The movie is an eye opener for those who haven't been paying attention.

And there are many who haven't gotten the message. I sat at the same table with a fellow volunteer on Sunday who hasn't got it yet. Her lunch was pastries, chips, pizza, and full-sugar soda; snacks were more pastries & more soda. I feel so sorry for her - I experienced those same awful cravings without knowing what to do about it.

She's very overweight & mentioned getting sleepy in the afternoon. Just like me at one time.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-06-15, 19:11

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I vividly remember the almost, over-whelming need for after-lunch naps. I haven't had that urge in over 10 years.