Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 10:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

True that I’ve been resolving various health issues, being more strict with LCHF (fewer nuts, fewer “treats”, less cheese) and incorporating ADF. I’ve lost over 40 pounds during my pandemic isolation and my BG numbers have plummeted. But I’m still very far from “normal” so my worry is that Covid won’t care about how hard I’ve been working to improve my health. It’ll just know where I am now!

Anyway the person who may have inadvertently exposed me is, like me, in her 60s. She hasn’t had a Covid test and feels perfectly fine and healthy, takes her daily zinc, vitamin C, D3, uses thieves oil, and various other vitamins and botanicals. But three days after she came to my house to pick up paperwork I had to give her for a job she’s taking over from me her elderly mother was diagnosed with Covid. The same mother my friend said she was so strict about self-isolating in order to protect! She has no clue where her mother got exposed. Anyway my friend’s doctor told her just to “assume” she has Covid because of her close proximity with her mother. Keeping fingers crossed as I feel much better today than yesterday.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 15:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Not surprizing ly the medical system is about treatment, not prevention. Tackling IR via addressing a low carb diet......may force the tide to turn finally but not without lots of kicking and screaming.

I had an epiphony today. A newly hatched chick has curled toes. As it affects its mobility, it must be addressed. A little bootie made of tape. I searched fir the best option, vetwrap, as it will not stick to the feathers on the toes. My last roll was too old. Now my best option will pull on those feathers.... to do nothing the chick will not survive. To put on painters tape may cause secondary problems. Seems like doctors are constantly chasing the secondary problems......
  #213   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 15:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
True that I’ve been resolving various health issues, being more strict with LCHF (fewer nuts, fewer “treats”, less cheese) and incorporating ADF. I’ve lost over 40 pounds during my pandemic isolation and my BG numbers have plummeted. But I’m still very far from “normal” so my worry is that Covid won’t care about how hard I’ve been working to improve my health. It’ll just know where I am now!

Anyway the person who may have inadvertently exposed me is, like me, in her 60s. She hasn’t had a Covid test and feels perfectly fine and healthy, takes her daily zinc, vitamin C, D3, uses thieves oil, and various other vitamins and botanicals. But three days after she came to my house to pick up paperwork I had to give her for a job she’s taking over from me her elderly mother was diagnosed with Covid. The same mother my friend said she was so strict about self-isolating in order to protect! She has no clue where her mother got exposed. Anyway my friend’s doctor told her just to “assume” she has Covid because of her close proximity with her mother. Keeping fingers crossed as I feel much better today than yesterday.

Glad you are feeling better. Its a good sign that you have a robust immune system!
  #214   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 15:42

BF:

Here is a factor mentioned in the article....
Quote:
This could be due to age-related decline in immune function or perhaps less reserve to recover from a severe illness. While you can’t control or reverse your age (many have tried!), you can prioritize your health to minimize your risk, and you can practice heightened prevention techniques to hopefully reduce your chance of contracting the virus.

While DD has not fully embraced fasting, this article doesnt even mention IF or other levels. Probably because no or little research is tackling the regenerative effects. There is some that indicates IF is restorative to the mitochondria.

Anyone have details to add?
  #215   ^
Old Sat, Jul-18-20, 13:54

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hmm, I didn't save the details and can't recall the study, done on a whole bunch of Covid patients, though it does make me feel a bit better:

I'm T2 diabetic and working hard to get my BG down into more normal ranges, but I still haven't managed to get below 100 yet (lowest reading was 107 so far but considering it was more like 300 when I started my fasting campaign that's a big difference). Anyway while I'm still not totally normal, but my readings are still well below 180, even my early morning FBG which is my highest reading of the day (156 this morning). So I still have hope.
  #216   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 03:25

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Coronavirus: Public Health England calls for action on obesity in Covid-19 fight

New evidence links obesity to increased risks of coronavirus-related hospitalisation, intensive care and death

https://www.theguardian.com/society...-covid-19-fight

Quote:
The case for action on obesity has “never been stronger”, according to Public Health England , who today publish a review of evidence which shows that being overweight remains one of the biggest risk factors in the battle against Covid-19.

The health agency’s review of evidence relating to weight and the effects of the virus, published on Saturday, found that the risks of hospitalisation, intensive care treatment and death all “seem to increase progressively with increasing BMI (body mass index) above the healthy weight range”.

As other risk factors, such as age, ethnicity and sex cannot be changed, PHE says interventions to help people lose weight or prevent weight gain “may be one of the few modifiable risk factors for Covid-19”.
  #217   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 07:07

BF:

Im praying the UK will lead the world out of obesity and the related illnesses.
  #218   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 05:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Recent paper on long-term effects of COVID-19 recovery points at mitochondria damage:

COVID-19 patients could be at risk for chronic fatigue syndrome: 'Your whole life can change if you get this'

Quote:
COVID-19 patients may be at risk of developing the neuroimmune condition ME/CFS that depletes one's energy. ME/CFS, which leaves 75% of those affected unable to work and 25% homebound or bedridden, impacts 15 million to 30 million people worldwide, and symptoms may be triggered by an infection, according to the National Institutes of Health. Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases, says some diagnosed with coronavirus are showing symptoms that resemble those seen in ME/CFS patients.

This is particularly pertinent to my DH, who lost his house and career from CFS/ME. Since we met, I've been researching his issues on the internet, and we've had some successes. But the breakthrough was Dr. Sarah Myhill, a UK physician who has devoted herself to this particular illness.

We've been doing well with the Myhill Protocol. It's centerpiece is how the key to the syndrome (it's a combo of post-viral syndrome and mitochondrial damage) is in these powerhouses of the cell.

CFS - The Central Cause: Mitochondrial Failure

Quote:
16th January 2009 saw the publication of "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Mitochondrial Dysfunction", our paper (authors: Prof Norman Booth of Oxford University, Dr John McLaren-Howard of Acumen Laboratory and myself) presenting evidence that chronic fatigue syndrome has a physical basis.

The central problem of chronic fatigue syndrome is mitochondrial failure resulting in poor production of ATP. ATP is the currency of energy in the body and if the production of this is impaired then all cellular processes will go slow. It is not good enough to measure absolute levels of ATP in cells since this will simply reflect how well rested the sufferer is. The perfect test is to measure the rate at which ATP is recycled in cells and this test has now been developed by John McLaren Howard. He calls it "ATP profiles". It is a test of mitochondrial function.

The centerpiece of Dr. Myhill's protocol? Keto

Quote:
Eating the correct evolutionary diet is the single most important thing you can do to improve and maintain health. Therefore, I make no apologies for labouring this point! In order to succeed at this diet, one must first understand the intellectual imperatives as to why such a diet is so important and then one must stick at it!

The Paleo Ketogenic Diet - this is a diet which we all should follow

It's not just healing. It's protective.
  #219   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 09:13

BF:

Dairy.

Perhaps is some one decends from a group of people that gave depended on dairy products for hundreds of generations is adapted to real dairy.

Imho, our original foods had no herbicides, pesticides, residues and such. Animals free ranged. The air didnot was clean of human made contaminates.

Finding foods as clean as possible is worthwhile.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Thu, Jul-30-20 at 09:24.
  #220   ^
Old Thu, Jul-30-20, 09:27

BF:

"
For modern Western Man, we live in a state of permanent Autumn with addictive carbohydrate foods constantly, conveniently and cheaply available. We are in constant metabolic syndrome with all the short term (fat and fatigue) and long term (heart disease, cancer and dementia) problems associated with such..... "
  #221   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 05:11

BF:

The 21-Day Immunity Plan

Dr Aseem Malhotra

The simple, evidence-based plan to rapidly improve your metabolic health, help with normal immune function and likely reduce the risk of severe effects from Covid-19.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/21-Day-Imm.../dp/B089Q81QQ1/

https://www.amazon.com/21-Day-Immun.../dp/B089Q81QQ1/
  #222   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 07:58

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi
The 21-Day Immunity Plan

Dr Aseem Malhotra

The simple, evidence-based plan to rapidly improve your metabolic health, help with normal immune function and likely reduce the risk of severe effects from Covid-19.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/21-Day-Imm.../dp/B089Q81QQ1/

https://www.amazon.com/21-Day-Immun.../dp/B089Q81QQ1/

Very timely. We need to inform people that starting positive lifestyle changes helps much sooner than one thinks. Positive effects start immediately with simple changes. Good to know this book is coming.

Last edited by GRB5111 : Mon, Aug-03-20 at 08:09.
  #223   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 08:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

What a timely and pertinent book!

I believe the literal life or death implications are going to make changes which would take decades by more peaceful means.
  #224   ^
Old Mon, Aug-03-20, 09:53

BF:

Quote:
Battling the bulge? Aseem Malhotra, consultant cardiologist & bestselling author

These days people hold very strong opinions about wearing masks, especially when it comes to others, but try mentioning that what they put in the mouth behind that mask has more impact on the Covid-19 pandemic, and you may risk true social isolation, if not ostracism. How does food feed this novel coronavirus? To discuss this, Oksana is joined by Aseem Malhotra, consultant cardiologist, bestselling author and one of Britain’s leading anti-obesity campaigners.
https://www.rt.com/shows/worlds-apa...aseem-malhotra/
  #225   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 00:35

BF:

Obese people in Coronavirus hotspots will be told to stay indoors to combat second wave

Plans are reportedly being considered for a 'more sophisticated model' of shielding to avoid mass lockdown

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politic...indoors-combat/

Quote:
Obese people could be told to stay at home in coronavirus hotspots as part of a targeted approach to tackling a feared second wave of Covid-19 this autumn.

The Government is understood to be examining plans for a "more sophisticated model" for shielding to avoid mass lockdown if Covid-19 returns over the next few months.

One Cabinet minister described the plan as a "stiletto not a sledgehammer" approach to tackling outbreaks, with people who are especially vulnerable told to remain indoors.

The plans are understood to have been wargamed in Whitehall as part of civil servants' preparation. The minister said: "There will be more micro-stuff - that is a clear direction of travel.

Officials are looking at how NHS data can be used to target vulnerable groups, such as those who are obese and over-50, if there is a second spike so they can be contacted and told to stay indoors, The Sunday Telegraph can disclose.

A Cabinet minister said: "They are understanding that age does come into it ... The shielding cohort is way too broad - you can't say that every fat person has to shield. It will be more subtle."

The news came as new tougher lockdown measures were imposed in Preston where young people were urged by the local council to abide by them and "don't kill a Granny".

Tighter lockdown measures were also continued for another week in Bradford, prompting a local Tory MP to complain directly to Boris Johnson it had effectively cut a local village in half.

Ministers have been struck by the degree of transmission that is now taking place indoors, where people are not required to wear masks, compared to workplaces like hair salons were face coverings are mandatory.

One minister said: "The main transmission is through people getting a bit more relaxed - it is about you going round for dinner to see a friend you have not seen for ages. That is why it must be a micro-lockdown."

The local lockdowns will continue to be based on council boundaries while in rural ares the lockdowns might just apply to market towns and villages because the size of shire counties would be impractical to shut down.

One minister said officials had recognised that in areas where a council runs a large rural area you "can't lock down entire counties - that would be ridiculous".

Bespoke approach

In a series of meetings last week Mr Johnson agreed a "bespoke approach" that would stop the spread of the virus "through targeted measures focused on particular areas, household interaction and individual businesses", Government sources said.

Mr Johnson also made clear that in the event of a more severe local lockdown where strong measures are needed in an entire town or city, shops, pubs and restaurants must shut before schools.

Number 10 declined to comment. However a Government source said that the Government's medical advisers were "looking at doing things in a more targeted way".

Extra restrictions were imposed in Preston, where residents banned from mixing with people from outside their social bubble in homes, gardens, and indoor venues, such as pubs from midnight on Friday.

Adrian Phillips, chief executive of Preston City Council, said it was "alarming to see that the under-30s are contracting it at a significant rate".

He added: "I know our director of public health has said 'Don't kill Granny' to young people to try and focus the message."

Current rules on gatherings in Greater Manchester, Leicester, parts of West Yorkshire and East Lancashire remain in place.

Tougher restrictions were also imposed in Bradford prompting Tory MP Philip Davies to complain personally to Mr Johnson that his constituency in Shipley had been included because it falls in Bradford's council area.

The village of Menston, eight miles north of the city, was now effectively cut in two with half of the population in lockdown and the other half unaffected because the council boundary ran through it.

Mr Davies said: "This situation is intolerable. The infection rate figures in the Shipley constituency do not remotely justify being within the local lockdown area."