Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#196   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-14, 18:05

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

And from the latest Ancestral Health Symposium, more than I want to know about Bone Broth:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zr...1QEjNm54X7KylkQ

Warning, not for the squeamish (that's YOU, Blue).
Sponsored Links
  #197   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-14, 19:23

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100

Blue, speaking of the "odd bits" of animals, you will be happy to know I found a dehydrator today at the thrift store, and haven't a clue what to do with it. I had the vague idea of making my own kale chips and beef jerky. anybody, what do I do now?

I ran across several ideas recently that made me think I wanted a dehydrator, but now the only one I remember was dried zucchini. I can't find the blog either where the blogger stated how much zucchini you could store, dried vs frozen.

But here's another blog:
http://gnowfglins.com/2012/08/31/ho...s-and-shredded/
  #198   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-14, 03:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks, Janet! Yesterday Molly also posted that she is getting a dehydrator and asked for tips in the Kitchen forum, so I added that link there too. Realized also need something to slice evenly and hoping my food processor works for that. Think I'll start with Kale and work up to zucchini . We have a similar thought process...about a year ago something I read gave me the idea to dehydrate something, so to keep an eye out for one in a thrift store because whatever it was might end up a one time fling. So now I finally find a dehydrator, bring it home, and can't remember why I wanted it, nor the recipe. But heck, it is fruit and veg season so off to google-fu whatever my old brain forgot

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-13-14 at 03:52.
  #199   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-14, 06:09

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Spending two nights in NJ right now, spending some visiting visiting sister and couple old friends, then tomorrow it's off to NC to visit sister there, and then to home! Monday was a fasting day and it was fairly easy, spent the night in Bangor, Maine. Yesterday was a sort-of eating day - but got to my hotel in NJ, and my sister brought me a dinner from The Pork Store - one of her fave places for prepared food.

She brought a pork sausage and broccolirabe dish with a side of roasted artichokes, and a second side that's one of their specialities, called "Atkins eggplant" - eggplant dish using Atkins-friendly ingredients, and it was DELICIOUS. Wow I wish I had the recipe.

She also brought some dark chocolate and admit I had some of that too. :-)

Today is an eating day. My hotel has a breakfast buffet, but primarily not that good for anyone trying to be gluten-fee: bagels, toast, muffins, cereal, waffle machine. But they had a big dish of hard-boiled eggs, and REAL butter, so I ate a couple HB eggs topped with butter, salt and pepper. And I also took little containers of cream cheese and peanut butter, and ate those (mixed) with a spoon - a fave treat.

Dinner with a couple friends tonight. I'm traveling with two dogs and can't leave them in the hotel room, and can't leave them locked in a car if I go anywhere so have to take them with me, so tonight we are getting some sort of takeout. Friends recommended the baked chicken breast and kale dish at a fave Italian place (unbreaded chicken) so getting my different veggies.

Tomorrow another fasting day as I travel to NC!
  #200   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-14, 06:10

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Note: I did have a dehydrator once, only $29.99 brand-new. I used it a few times, make zucchini chips in it, and beef jerky. It was okay but not so great that I was willing to continue to give it kitchen space, so finally gave it away on Freecycle.
  #201   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-14, 07:51
It's Only Food!

Plan: Ketogenic / IF
Stats: 279/248/210 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Yeah, that's me. Thanks, Liz for the rating.

Dehydrator, huh? Good luck in figuring out what it was you wanted it for, JEY. That made me chuckle.

Safe travels, Merpig. I'll wave as you pass by. I'm in the Fredericksburg, VA area.

Still losing and feeling great following Keto Clarity and doing Fung's IF on alternate days. I could be fasting daily the way that I feel, but I want to save that for when I need it to nudge things along.

I don't have the book with me and can't recall....protein. Is it 1g. per kg. weight that we are or is it our goal weight? I'm okay if it's goal weight but lacking if it's actual weight. I can't imagine eating more and still losing. I know my body would rebel.
  #202   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-14, 10:06

Debbie, what great friends and family you have to find such great food for you on the road. When you get the recipe for Atkins eggplant, I want it too. I love eggplant in just about any form!

It's another fasting (skipping breakfast) day for me. It's feeling routine again, though I kind of resist the idea the night before. No gym today as my car is in the shop and husband has gone to the city with his car. We'll see how I do this morning without that diversion.

Last edited by Liz53 : Wed, Aug-13-14 at 11:47.
  #203   ^
Old Thu, Aug-14-14, 03:42

Week Six short update: Fasting continues to be pretty easy for me, especially with yesterday's routine of coffee with CO and cream, then an hour of rather intense cardio and strength at 9 am. Was busy writing and realized at 2:30 had had nothing else, so I finished that yucky marrow bone broth. Then dinner later. Sadly no weight loss this week and completely my fault. Got back into having two glasses of wine with dinner. My Bad. Also have been lax about BG testing, keep forgetting to do it. Will try to do better these last two weeks, though quite sure I will continue to IF beyond this experiment.

Debbie, North Carolina rolled out the red carpet for you! Gorgeous, low 80s, no humidity, no rain....am I dreaming? Where are y'all at?
  #204   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-14, 04:54
It's Only Food!

BF:

I've just finished my second week of IF, and a nutritional ketogenic diet. I've lost 12 pounds. The second week I experienced days of no weight change peppered with 1/4 to 1/2 pound losses only to awake today to an amazing 3 pound loss from yesterday. I've never experienced such a resounding 1 day loss before. To say I am pleased and happy would be an understatement.

I ordered Dr. Bernstein's book from Amazon and have been enjoying it. Although I'm not diabetic I could have easily gone that route so I found it helpful, supportive and encouraging for any of us on a keto journey which, by the way, I find absolutely the best way to go.

Here it is August, we have cool temps and low humidity. Unheard of. In fact we have the windows open. I hope this not a prelude to what is to come.

Last edited by BlueEyes2 : Fri, Aug-15-14 at 05:24.
  #205   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-14, 05:31

So that's where my weight loss went this week! Amazing, Blue. Now I'm just confused. I'd like to eat the higher veggie carbs, but maybe I need to back down and try NK + IF. Or more days of fasting per week. Or just stop the wine

But here is my really burning question of the day. When I dehydrate vegetables, where does the fiber go? And the nutrients for that matter. Assuming all still there except water? Because if it is, I really, really overate carrots yesterday. They like shrink to nothing in my nifty dehydrator! All that work and a whole bag of carrot chips became a half cup of dried veggie matter. And man, they definitively need some oil and seasoned salt.

Great news Blue, thanks for the update!
  #206   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-14, 05:47
It's Only Food!

BF:

That's why I don't have a dehydrator. I'd be snacking myself silly like I do with nuts which is why I don't eat them as snacks either. It just wouldn't work for me. Besides, I seem to be one of the few who detests kale chips. I made them in the oven with olive oil and salt. After a couple of the bitter little buggers I decided that papery foods weren't my thing. My husband ate two and declined the rest. So we threw them out.

I would think some water soluable nutrients could be lost in the drying process although I think it would be minimal. The fiber is there but not as robust as in its hydrated form. The cells would have collapsed.
  #207   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-14, 09:18

So pleased for you, Blue! You really seem to have found your niche. Even if you don't follow Bernstein, it will give you more insight into how your body and insulin resistance (assuming you have it) works.

And, I'm not a fan of kale chips either - or honestly, kale in any form. There are many many vegetables with a much better taste, imo. I get it in my CSA occasionally, but usually pass it on to a friend who *loves* kale chips.

JEY, I think dried fruits and veggies would be off limits for anyone who doesn't want concentrated carbs. The water and the fiber definitely modulate the effect. The water soluble fiber probably becomes some sort of concentrated powder (inulin?) but I would think the cellulose and other non soluble fiber would retain its structure at least somewhat.

I didn't see wine on Fung's list of foods to eat/drink, but I had some last night and I'm up .8. Tasty stuff, but definitely counterproductive.
  #208   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-14, 10:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 167/135/127 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 80%

Congrats Blue! you lucky girl!
I am struggling like crazy with this 'lower protein' plan. I stay at my limit for a couple of days, and then it is like I'm starving for protein and I overdo in a ridiculous amount.
And yes, Janet, wine is my downfall too. Even though I stay within the limits of carbs and cals, I can't lose if I drink alcohol - even the zero carb vodka and scotch will stop any progress. Maddening.
  #209   ^
Old Fri, Aug-15-14, 13:53
It's Only Food!

BF:

Thanks, everyone! I'm so relieved to find something that works well for me.

Sadly I've had to forego the alcohol. A nice cocktail or glass of wine would be welcome now and then but if I do I gain and stall. Some day...
  #210   ^
Old Sun, Aug-17-14, 02:42

With all the arguments about does ketosis = weight loss? on another thread, will add here my ketones yesterday before dinner were .5 and BG 94, not fasted, about four hours after last eating. I did lose about two pounds last week, it was just hidden by wine bloat (know wine is not allowed and stops weight loss but it was that or trespass on HOA neighbor to round-up her garden )

In KetoClarity, it is stated that .5-3.0 is "nutritional ketosis" but later 1-3 is optimal. I was not in ketosis the day I started Fung's protocol (read Lo) and since I have had readings of .5, 1.4 (fasted 24 hr) and .5 again yesterday for blood ketone levels. I am slowly losing 1-2 pounds per week, eating higher carbs (more veg and fruit) with a modest reduction in average calories. So from very imperfect data because too frugal to buy more ketone strips, it appears for ME, this IF results in being in nutritional ketosis all the time, even if only at the lower end of .5, fasting days may go higher. And I am likely in a greater energy deficit than before, whatever…IF, ketosis, or energy deficit, it has resulted in modest weight loss and lower BG throughout the day.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Aug-17-14 at 07:30.
Closed Thread