Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Bread & Baked Goods
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 15:44
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Hold me back - Parmesan Crusted Cheese Stuffed Revolution Rolls

I make no apologies for this recipe being all about the cheese! You can stuff this with any meltable cheese your little heart desires. You can use what herb you want in them...they just taste so dang good, you will kiss yourself with gratitude!!!

You can make pizza rolls out of them too! Make them in a larger size, then split them, stuff them, roll in beaten egg white and parmesan cheese. Bake them off at 400* for 20-30 minutes until golden and crispy outside, melty gooey inside and Yeeeeeehaw! Hello Texas!

STEP 1
This recipe is divided into two steps.

You can make the Lemon Rosemary Gruyere Revolution Rolls any time you want – up to about 4 days ahead. Just be sure to throw those puppies into the ice box in a sealed bag, once they’ve cooled completely. Or you can freeze them up to 3 months!

For a complete step-by-step on how to make the basic Revolution Rolls you can find it here.

Lemon Rosemary Revolution Rolls – Miniature
Yield – 36-54 Miniature Rolls (Memory fails me. Wil try to make these soon for confirmation)
Prep Time – 20 Minutes
Cook Time – Mini Rolls – 15 Minutes
Cook Time – Standard Size Buns – 35-40 Minutes

Ingredients
4 Eggs, separated
1 c. Mozzarella Cheese, grated
1 scoop Whey Protein Powder, Natural Flavor
¼ c. Cottage Cheese
1 tsp. Country Style Dijon Mustard
2 tsp. Rosemary, fresh, chopped
1 tsp Lemon Zest
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar, brags
1/8 tsp. Kosher Salt
¼ tsp Garlic Powder
¼ tsp Onion Powder
¼ tsp Crème of Tartar
3 oz Gruyére Cheese, cubed, optional*
Olive Oil Spray

Preheat oven to 325°. Line miniature muffin pans with non-stick aluminum foil. A shot glass works great to tamp the foil into place! (Don’t forget to save these liners. Stack them and place them in a baggie. Freeze them and reuse as many times as you’d like. Saves time and money!)

Spray non-stick aluminum liners with olive oil spray.

Grate mozzarella cheese and cube gruyere into ½” cubes. Set aside.

Blend cottage cheese in a small food processor or blender until smooth. Reserve.

Combine whey protein powder with rosemary, lemon zest, baking powder, salt, and garlic and onion powders. Set aside.

Separate eggs.

Add mozzarella cheese shreds, cottage cheese, and Dijon mustard to the egg yolks.

In clean dry bowl, beat egg whites using an electric hand or stand mixer until egg whites start to froth. Add cream of tartar and continue to whip egg whites to the stiff peak stage. (Hint, whipped egg whites will no longer slide around in your bowl when the bowl is tilted.)

Once egg whites are beaten, use the same mixer to beat the egg yolk mixture until thick and creamy. (A bout 2 minutes.)

Add apple cider vinegar to egg yolks and mix well.

Turn 1/3 of whipped egg white into yolk mixture. Stir vigorously with a large spatula to combine. The goal is to loosen the yolk mixture. Don’t worry about trying to maintain egg white volume at this stage.

Now add half of the remaining whipped egg whites to the yolk mixture. With a large spatula, gently fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture. You are trying to incorporate the whites while losing as little volume as possible at this second addition of egg whites.

Now repeat the gentle folding technique with the remaining egg whites.

Place one teaspoon of Revolution Roll batter into each mini muffin well.

(Optional Step – Place one cube of cheese into the middle of each muffin.)

Top with one teaspoonful of Revolution Roll batter into each mini muffin well.

Bake for 12-15 minutes or until mini muffins are set and tops are golden.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes before gently peeling off aluminum foil.

Feel free to serve these bite size rolls at this point! You will be the star of the kitchen, especially if you deliver the butter to the table at the same time!

Or, if you just feel like hoggin’ the limelight a bit more, continue to the Step 2 of this recipe.

STEP 2
You can bread the Revolution Rolls and place them on a parchment or non-stick aluminum foil lined baking sheet up to 4 hours ahead. Bake the rolls at the last minute and serve immediately!

Parmesan Crusted Cheese Stuffed Revolution Rolls
Yield - 36-54
Prep Time - 10 Minutes
Cook Time - 15-20 Minutes
Difficulty - Easy

Ingredients
1 batch Lemon Rosemary Revolution Rolls – Miniature
4 oz Cream Cheese
3 Green Onions, finely chopped
½ c Egg Whites (about 3 Egg Whites)
¾ c Parmesan Cheese (Green Can Variety)
Olive Oil Spray

Preheat oven to 400°.

Line baking tray with parchment or non-stick aluminum foil. Please, if using aluminum foil, use non-stick!

Finely chop green onions. Use the whites and the green parts!

Beat egg whites with a fork until loose and frothy. They don’t need to be whipped like you whip them for the Revolution Roll batter.

Make a horizontal slit into the middle of each mini Revolution Roll.

Fill roll with about ½ tsp of cream cheese and a large pinch of finely chopped green onion. Try to be neat about this and push any cream cheese into the center of the roll. Press the roll firmly together to compress the opening.

Roll each roll briefly, but completely into beaten egg whites.

Thoroughly coat eat roll in parmesan cheese.

(Note - If you use another brand of cheese, make sure it is finely ground. Don’t use parmesan shreds. You can use a food processor to make ground parmesan from both the shreds and also blocks of parmesan. Be sure to cut the block of parmesan down into cubes though, before trying this! Unless you want to experience a “Hey y’all, watch this!” Texas moment!)

Bake at 400° until rolls are golden and crisp on the outside.

Serve immediately! But be careful…remember it has a molten hot, gooey, cheesy center!

SusieT’s Notes –
Another four forker you guys!

This is nothing but a cheese delivery system and I’m not apologizin’ one iota! *snort* Into each person’s life a little cheese must fall. You know you want it.

These work so great, both as just the Revolution Roll from STEP 1, but also as the parmesan crusted, crunchy little Texas filly from STEP 2. It works as a roll, it works as a topping for things like Chicken Pot Pies and soups and stews. So many options, so little time!

The rolls got rave reviews from the low carbers and also from the carb monkeys – but what do either of those groups know! They were bombed, remember?! Ha!

Seriously. Stop what you are doing. Go make these. They are so good, I even posted the recipe early before I had time to plug in all the nutritional data for the recipe! I will be back with that later. I wanted you to have the recipe early enough to make tonight. Go! Buh bye!

Last edited by SusieT : Mon, May-07-12 at 16:31.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 16:26

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

Susie you want to adopt me? I want me One of each please
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 16:31
Registered Member

BF:

Ok, come on down! Haha! We'll leave the light on for ya!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 17:24
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Those look lovely, Susie. But when I have that stuff around, I eat way too much of it. I'm avoiding baking these days until I get this last 20# off. But I printed it out to try when I get to goal. Thanks for sharing here and for providing such detailed instructions.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-07-12, 21:17
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks Peggy! I so understand the no baking part! After this week, I have a feeling I won't be doing "breads" again. This is bread week over at Fluffy Chix Cook and I'm featuring recipes that would be Induction Friendly under DANDR rules, and also in the Nuts Rung of OWL.

Part of me is very afraid! Haha!

The interesting part about this Peggy is that knowing I can eat as much of this as my carb level allows me, I am able to control portions! Amazing for me...lol.

However, my cheese consumption has sure gone up since doing the recipe development and that's something that I personally need to change cuz of the breast cancer. Milk has so much estrogen and hormones in it...Even if they don't give BGH to cows, most commercial dairies milk pregnant cows.