Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 05:03
Registered Member

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 312/252/182 Male 5 foot 10
BF:
Progress: 46%
Default Induction: Weigh yourself every month, not before

I found it extremely damaging when i checked my weight every single day during my first 2 weeks, and nothing happening. It made me question the WOE and whether it is right for me, and just backs up the whole 'nothing works for me' that you've been struggling with your whole life.

Anyway, after the first two weeks, i decided to crack on with it, and not weigh myself for a month (at that point i hadnt dropped one poxy pound). First came the sensation of clothes being looser, then came the compliments and finally, last night i weighed myself and in 6 weeks i have dropped 23 pounds

I just wanted to say this, because i know the feeling of despair when it doesnt seem to be working (there are a lot of "help me, it's not working threads" ). Give yourself a month, and when you finally look at the scales it will not only give you a massive ego boost, but even more motivation to carry on and become a firm believer in this WOE. I am so convinced this can work with anyone (hell, if it works with me it will!), so just give it the time, and dont beat yourself up about it.

Even given my success, there are a few things i need to improve:

Give up ketchup
Eat Greens!
Try to aim for specific daily nutritional goals (i go day to day, sometimes i dont eat anywhere near enough cals, carbs or fat)

When you see success when you have not done it to the book, it makes you think how much more you had achieved if you did it properly. I will address these issues this month.

Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 05:23

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 270/256/175 Female 5.5
BF:Afraid to Know
Progress: 15%

Thanks for sharing that with us, i really have a problem with getting on the scale everyday and i have tried to stop but that thing really has a whole on me. but you are right it is not good so i have to make a special effort and do what you did. Congratulations on your weightloss.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 06:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 400/333/250 Male 5'9
BF:49.5
Progress: 45%

Steve, Congrats on the success!!!!!! Stay true to the plan and it works.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 07:32

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 135/123.0/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Excellent job on the weightloss! I'm glad you stuck with it, even through difficult times. Good luck on your LC journey!!!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 10:10

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/151/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 85%

Throw out your scale! That's why I did years ago, and it worked great. Puts you in touch with your body instead of a mere number.
Now, of course, I have to go to my mom's house to update my stats...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 10:25

Plan: low carb-atkins
Stats: 280/170/150 Female 5'8
BF:40/27.5/22
Progress: 85%

Im trying so hard not to get on the scale everyday....I dont get discouraged though If im up a lb or 2.....I know its only normal..
but maybe I should do what you did....just get rid of it for a month....then get on it..and see....
Great work BTW...Keep on Lcing!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 11:23

Stats: 146/121.5/120 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 94%

Glad it works for you! 23 pounds must have been a lovely shock.

For me, I need the daily re-inforcement of why I am on this WOE. Watching the scale go steadily down (even with those ups in between) keeps me motivated. Maybe one day I'll be able to be content with once a month.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 11:38

Stats: 000/000/135 Female 5' 2"
BF:uh/no/thanks
Progress: 0%

I'll bet that was quite a shock when you saw you were down 23 pounds! Congratulations!

I admit it....I'm a scale junkie. I tell myself I won't weigh myself everyday, then curiosity gets the best of me. I promise not to weigh myself everyday from now on!!!!!!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 11:56

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/179.5/140 Female 67 in
BF:TOO MUCH
Progress: 21%

scale junkie too! Good for you for sticking with it! I was in your SAME shoes just a few weeks ago-questioning EVERYTHING and boarding on quitting. Im SO glad Ididnt! its beginning to work just NOW and my scale IS finally moving. SLOWLY but moving nonetheless! Isnt it good to know that we are ALL going through similar experiences-this board is great!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:20

Stats: 235/145/130 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 86%

That's really a great idea!

I think it's a good idea to look at the big picture. Look at what you weighed and what you felt like at the beginning of the year, and contrast that with how you look and feel now. Just ignore all the little ups and downs in between.

Even if progress is slow, it doesn't matter, if you are headed in the right direction!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Nov-07-03, 17:35
This is the year

Stats: 194/186.8/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 13%

I put my scale in the laundry room which is downstairs in the basement. I only go down there once a week to do laundry, so I only weigh once a week. The rest of the time I don't even think about it anymore. Way less frustrating than when it was in my bathroom!