Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Jun-20-21, 21:44

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jun-23-21, 08:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Twenty years ago I read the book “Why Stomach Acid is Good for You” by Jonathan Wright. I remember it as very helpful and it does talk about low stomach acid. I believe that’s it’s primary topic(I read it so long ago it’s hard to remember) what I do know is that gerd has not been a problem since then when I started eating very low carb. Before that I had taken either Prilosec or Nexium every day. I could not go a day without them. The book is available on Amazon.

I had the same experience especially after eliminating all grains and seed oils. I often wonder what the commonly prescribed and over-the-counter PPIs are doing to people long term. I don't care to find out first hand.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jul-02-21, 03:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I had the same experience especially after eliminating all grains and seed oils. I often wonder what the commonly prescribed and over-the-counter PPIs are doing to people long term. I don't care to find out first hand.

Quote:
Why Popular Heartburn Drugs PPIs Are Linked to Premature Deaths

At last count, doctors wrote over 100 million prescriptions for drugs like dexlansoprazole (Dexilent), esomeprazole (Nexium), lansoprazole (Prevacid), omeprazole (Prilosec), pantoprazole (Protonix) and rabeprazole (Aciphex). Such drugs have been mainstays for treating heartburn, GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disease) and ulcers.

Initially, doctors thought these drugs had minimal side effects. The FDA considered PPIs so safe that it approved drugs like Prilosec, Prevacid and Nexium for over-the-counter sale. But researchers continue [to] ask whether PPIs are linked to premature deaths from a range of conditions.

I have to admit, as skeptical as I am, I didn't expect this stark a headline.

Quote:
Red warning flags have been flying over PPIs for years.

Researchers in St. Louis introduced their latest study in BMJ (May 30, 2019) this way:

“Proton pump inhibitors (PPIs) are widely used either as prescription or over-the-counter drugs. Several studies suggest that taking PPIs is associated with a number of serious adverse events including cardiovascular disease, acute kidney injury, chronic kidney disease, dementia, pneumonia, gastric cancer, Clostridium difficile infections, and osteoporotic fractures. Some of these adverse events are associated with an increased risk of death.”

I should write a book: Over The Counter DEATH.
  #19   ^
Old Sun, Jul-11-21, 12:23

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Since taking ACV before meals, I've had less attacks of acid in the throat at night. (Strangely, I had one after a fast and didn't have one after a spicy curry with beers).

After researching further, I now think the underlying cause is a hiatal hernia. It seems like they are very common but are usually benign and go unnoticed. I completed the IQoro questionnaire and the result was highly probable (but they do have a very overpriced product to sell). It's also sore when I press my Xiphoid Process (bottom centre of the ribcage where the top of the stomach is). I've never had heartburn and I've had a very quiet and indistinct voice all my life and wonder if this is related.

It seems like surgery is not worth the risk so I'm going to try some mechanical methods that I've come across:

a) Using a football mouthguard as a cheap alternative to the IQoro - I've ordered the Vettex DoubleGuard.

b) Massage as directed by Erik Dalton.

c) The water and gravity method described in this video (if you can concentrate!) although I might try to find something more dense than water. This also contains a massage technique similar to Daltons but it's dynamic (involving the breath and bending over).

d) Yoga poses or other stretches - The Chair is the only one I've found so far that looks like it might help. (I had been doing several inverted poses as part of my morning routine which wouldn't have helped).

I've been home office working since the start of Covid and have been using a standing desk which should have helped. However, I've also noted that I have a habit of tensing my lower abdomen when standing thus increasing abdominal pressure.

The wife's against me raising the bed so sleeping downstairs on a raised settee will be a last resort.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-21, 03:39
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm glad the ACV is helping.

I think acid reflux is worse after fasting because the stomach makes acid in anticipation of a meal and then when there's no meal there's nothing to work on/digest.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jul-12-21, 04:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
Since taking ACV before meals, I've had less attacks of acid in the throat at night. (Strangely, I had one after a fast and didn't have one after a spicy curry with beers).

After researching further, I now think the underlying cause is a hiatal hernia.

Good luck with your strategies. More than half the battle is figuring out what the problem really is.

I see a definite, and unhappy-making, trendline, from an attitude about actually fixing problems towards "management of symptoms" which are two clearly different things.

If it can't be fixed, yes, we want our symptoms managed. But I do wonder if decades of bad eating advice created so many of these problems that the medical system struggled with priorities.
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-22, 12:18

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Update

I thought I'd found the solution last year as I gave up alcohol and it went away. However, I partied at Xmas and it returned but this time, giving up didn't fix it.

I'm having trouble finding any pattern to it but I seem to have some success with taking bitters prior to eating and bedtime to increase stomach acid. The one I use is A.Vogel Centaurium - it's foul when you start with it but you get used to it and it helps to throw it to the back of your throat. Seems more natural to me than taking ACV or Betaine HCL.

I've recently come across Norm Robillard's theory that the route problem could be intestinal gas (SIBO) and I'm starting his Fast Track diet that limits fermentable carbs via an FP value (Fermentation Potential). The app has a lot more FP values than the book and is reasonably priced.
https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/fast-tract-diet/

I came across his work via some old blog posts from Dr. Eades:
www.proteinpower.com/gerd-treat-low-high-carb-diet/
www.proteinpower.com/gerd-treatment-nutrition-vs-drugs-3/
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Feb-20-22, 12:43

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose

I've recently come across Norm Robillard's theory that the route problem could be intestinal gas (SIBO) and I'm starting his Fast Track diet that limits fermentable carbs via an FP value (Fermentation Potential). The app has a lot more FP values than the book and is reasonably priced.
https://digestivehealthinstitute.org/fast-tract-diet/

Dr William Davis of Wheat Belly fame has written a new book all about sibo:

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Gut-Fo...ps%2C245&sr=8-2

It contains a protocol for eliminating sibo.

A person on Dr Davis's forum asked about Gerd and here is Dr Davis's reply:

"Everyone here starts with the Undoctored Wild, Naked, Unwashed program, Apple. Click on the green "Start here" button above or see the entire program outlined in the Undoctored book. Just the basic efforts reverses GERD in the majority of people.

If, however, you are already on the program or it persists after several weeks of the program, see the Undoctored Advanced Concept discussion about H. pylori and stomach acid, as well as the several videos about SIBO. A lot of SIBO shows up as GERD."

This post was from 2019, so several years before his Super Gut book was published. You have to be a paid member of the forum to access it but his basic protocol is in his book Undoctored. Dr Eades reviewed his Super Gut book:

https://www.proteinpower.com/super-gut/

Last edited by cotonpal : Sun, Feb-20-22 at 12:53.