Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Candida Yeast & IBS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, May-12-05, 23:55

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%
Default What is the best brand of probiotics?

Hi,
I am new to this particular board and need to know what you would recommend as the best brand of probiotics. Also, could you tell me what is supposed to be in it? I bought "Natren Megadophilus" and it has 2 billion cfu acidophilus. Is there something else that should be in it?

I took my first OoO yesterday morning and my first acid. capsule last night and I seemed to feel better this morning. Is that possible?

Thank you in advance for any information you folks may have.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-13-05, 07:05
Registered Member

Plan: Hagglund, Yeast Connctn
Stats: 125/108/115 Female 5'5'
BF:
Progress: 170%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillylou
Hi,
I am new to this particular board and need to know what you would recommend as the best brand of probiotics. Also, could you tell me what is supposed to be in it? I bought "Natren Megadophilus" and it has 2 billion cfu acidophilus. Is there something else that should be in it?

I took my first OoO yesterday morning and my first acid. capsule last night and I seemed to feel better this morning. Is that possible?

Thank you in advance for any information you folks may have.

my probiotic has 10 billion live cells of the important probiotic strains, and I've heard of those with 15 billion per tablet. I'd love to hear the best kind. I do recommend that you get the live cells, and lots of them, not the dormant kind, since it's doubtful whether they all reanimate. Also, I'd get the non-dairy, non-yeast brands, without gelatin. I get veggie caps.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jul-22-05, 21:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Hi,
I'd also be interested in hearing some recommendations.
PLEASE, those of you who are more experienced, give us some ideas

Thanks,
whammy
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 14:57

Plan: Nourishingtrad.& Pilates!
Stats: 190/140/140 Female 5'10
BF:14/size2/size2
Progress: 100%

well, I did some research and have been using Natren brand "Healthy Trinity" dairy free for the entire digestive system. per capsule -
5 billion lactobacillus acidophilus,
20 billion bifidobacterium bifidum,
5 billion lactobacillus bulgaricus
Seems to be working well, though quite pricy (over $30 for 14 capsules). any other brands people like?
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-27-05, 05:43
Registered Member

Stats: 168/153/140 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress:

Have ya'all tried Threelac...Boy let me tell you....It took me righ out of the bed and right into life !!! I stayed in bed or on the couch all the time cause I just didn't have any energy to do anything. But after being on Threelac man, all i want to do is be in the warm (or like it is now HOT) sunshine and then go SHOPPING!!!! LOL.......

Last edited by doreen T : Sat, Jul-30-05 at 07:58. Reason: No promotional advertising, per forum rules. Thanks.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 06:53

Plan: raw vegan diet
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default best brand of probiotics

Well, Florajen works well but is very expensive. Garden of Life's primal defense works well and doesn't need refrigeration. This is even more expensive unless you eat a raw vegan diet, than you only need a few. The article on the "dangers" of primal defense" scare me a bit. I"m using up my bottle and done with it I think. However, by far the most effective and inexpensive probiotic for me is rejuvelac. I make it from soaked wheat berries and then can use the berries to make esseene bread and other recipes if I like. (I personally don't like the way these things taste, so I use the berries about 6 times to "keep" remaking more and then I throw them out in my compost and let them nourish that!)

Basically you put 1 c. wheatberries in a canning jar and put some netting (you can get in a fabric store) and the lid on it. Now you have your own "sprouter." I fill jar with water and let it sit about 8-12 hours. Then I dump the water in another jar and drink it. (Tastes like a mild beer, not bad). Then I let the berries sprout for about 36-50 hrs. or so. Then I fill jar up again and drain it off every 9 hrs. or so (more often in hot weather), and drink it down. It is a little lemony tasting, gets stronger each time by the end it has a little smell and aftertaste that I don't thrill to, but hey, it is cheap enough. SOmeone gave me a 1/2 of a 5 gal. bucket full of berries for free. I usually use about 1/2 c. wheateberries cause it is just enough to drink 1 c. and I fill the jar about 1/2 way instead. I notice an improvement in any vagina candida within a 1/2 after I take it and lots of gas.

This is an easy way to know if a probiotic is working. If you havent taken any for a while and you start a new one and don't get uncontrollable gas for a few days as your body "adjusts" to less candida, it is a dud!
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 15:28

Plan: Atkins-SCD
Stats: 125/99.5/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 170%
Default probiotic brands

I have researched the internet for lab tests done on different probiotics. Most of them didn't have any live cultures by the time they got to the consumer. The refrigerated ones did a little better. One study done in Seattle was especially discouraging. Only one brand had in it what was claimed on the label, and that's Culturelle. They only tested a few brands though... Another test by consumerlabs had more brands that passed the test including Enzymatic Therapy, Natren's Healthy Trinity, IFlora and some others I can't remember. You might want to research this before you buy anything. I don't think they tested Threelac though...
Threelac is just too expensive for me. I use Culturelle. So far so good...
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 19:30

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 200/184/160 Male 72inches
BF:
Progress: 40%

Hi all,
In Canada we have a product called Bio-K.(Fermented milk) It comes in a small 3.5oz plastic yogurt type container. It claims to have a minimum of "50 billion live, active bacteria. (LB. Acidophilus CL1285 and LB. Casei)" Its about $44.00CA for 15 bottles. Its delivered in a refridgerated truck. I have been taking it for about 2 months and I feel great.
I am celiac and currently dealing with a yeast problem.
Take care..Ron L
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 13:54

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%

Does anyone know about carb content of unsweetened active culture yogurt? I've been hearing crazy things that the carb content is different from the label, since the whole process of making yogurt requires that the sugars get consumed by the bacteria.
I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question, but no where else seemed more appropriate
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 14:35
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I would go by what the label says.

Most yogurts are not cultured long enough that all the lactose gets eaten by the bacteria. On the SCD diet though you culture it for 24 hours (4-6 times longer than normal) and it gets quite, quite tart and loses all sweetness. A good sign that the sugar is completely devoured.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 14:41

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

Lillylou, I've heard natren's probiotics are the some of the best you can get. I take healthy trinity too.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 14:42

Plan: carb/cal cycling
Stats: 176/136/125 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 78%

oops, just realized this post is really old.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 18:18

Stats: 180/159/135 Female 63 inches (five 3)
BF:5'3"
Progress: 47%
Default yogurt

Thanks- the yogurt i buy has one ingredient: cultured milk- so i think i may try it out in a week or so. it's generally sour so i usually mix it with honey- i think i'll try it with splenda.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-12-06, 19:06
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:

I was thinking about the whole probiotic thing and how to tell whether they're alive or DOA. I bet you could just pour a capsule into some warm water with some sugar or honey and culture it for 4 hours at 90-100 degrees. Taste the water. If it tastes sour and yogurt-y, the culture is alive. If not, I'd venture a guess it is dead.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Feb-13-06, 23:19

Plan: raw vegan diet
Stats: 169/141/130 Female 5 ft. 8 in.
BF:
Default probiotics- which are best?

That's a great idea to check for viable acidophilus. I know it is good if I have been off a probiotic a few days and try a "new brand"- If I get gassy for the first few days-It's has good acidophilus in it and if "nothing happens" it's a dud.

I recently read that if you had a real bad case of candida (like I do) that the candida could be in a "fungal form" that is more difficult to "take care of" than in a yeast form. In order to get it into a yeast form, they recommend the candida diet and 1000 mg. (or is it mcg.-not sure) of biotin for 6 mo. They recommended not "wasting" probiotics or antifungals in this stage. I started doing this and low and behold a very good "acidophilus" product was given to me for free, so when I cheated and ate some "choclate cake" I took the acidophilus "to minimize" the "damage" and it didn't give me any gas for the most part.

It made me wonder if the candida is changing from the fungus to the yeast form. Sure hope so. It also means my "gas test" only works for people with the "fungal form" of candida, I suspect. My hubby who has "mild candida" never got "gassy" from the probiotics we'd take.

Well, I'm done "rambling" for what its worth.
Le Ann