Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-25-06, 20:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/138/125 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default new and in need of help!

hi everyone..
i am new to the atkins diet and just started 3 weeks ago. i am only looking to lose about 20 pounds before spring break in feb. so i have 3 weeks to go.

i have a few questions though:

i have lost about 7 pounds in 3 weeks (horrible, right?) but i have also cheated 3 times in 3 weeks (about once a week). i feel like these carb. binges have really stopped my weight loss. any thoughts?

also, i have 3 weeks to reach my 13 pound weight loss goal and i really don't see that happening. what else do i do?

thanks guys for all the support. it truly helps!

Last edited by doctorpuji : Wed, Jan-25-06 at 20:29.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 08:01

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

There's no way to put a timetable on the results of a low-carb eating plan. Every body is different. Usually people experience a halt to weight loss after the first two weeks of induction. It then resumes at a pace suitable to their own body.

Furthermore, if you lose down to goal, and then go back to your "normal" way of eating, you're sure to regain the lbs. you've shed. This is not specific to low-carb. The point of any new "diet" is to retrain your habits. That takes a lot longer than a month or two.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jan-26-06, 15:04

Plan: atkins
Stats: 169/153/135 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 47%

Don't cheat! You can do this. Any carb binges now will slow your loss down for days. If you stick to your plan and water, water, water, you will have great results. What is causing you to cheat? Meals or snacks? Time of day? Let us know and we will try to help.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 21:18

BF:
Progress:

lazydaisy...

i know i shouldnt cheat..its so tempting. the food at home is all still carb lovers food so its very tempting. also, after 7 at night (when i know i shouldnt be doing it) i cheat. how long does the weight loss stop for when a person cheats or is it dependent on the person?

ive been trying to drink more water..good right?

let me know and THANK U SO MUCH!
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-27-06, 21:37
Registered Member

Stats: 206/189/50 Female 64 indhes
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs down NO Cheating!!! If you're serious...

Hi,

I learned the hard way that cheating just prolongs the weight falling off...I sometimes would notice if I cheated and had something like popcorn and didn't exercise I would put on 2 lbs. overnight! Brutal eh?
So if you are very serious about losing these 13 lbs you better cut out the carbs and count them too. How many are you consuming a day? I am at 20 myself right now, but I am still in the Induction Phase which is the strictest. I have lost 4 lbs this week since Monday, but most pple can lose anywhere from 6-12 lbs in the first week if you follow the Induction phase to a tee and exercise regularily. I havent' really exercised but I think it's great I have lost 4 lbs already.
I used to be a night snacker like you...do you like flavoured coffee? Or tea?
I would treat myself to a decaf Irish cream coffee with Splenda in the evenings and if I still had a sweet tooth I would have a second cup. Still way less carbs than having a chocolate bar, right?
If you do have sweet cravings go to Walmart where you can buy these great candies by Baskin Robbins that are sugar free and have almost no carbs! They come in different flavours but my favourite is the Mint Chocolate Chip. Russell Stover also does sugar free candies low in carbs too. Check it out!
Feefighter
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 09:33

BF:

I would get rid of the BAD food in the house. At least hide it out of sight. I also like the flavored tea in the evening and I keep SF popcicles and jello around just in case. 7pm sounds like a good time to take a walk or write in a journal. Good luck. Keep me posted.
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 09:36

BF:

PS If I binge on carbs it takes me 2 1/2 to 3 days to get back to ketosis.... that keeps me more on track than anything. Do you use the keto strips? They motivate me.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 12:08

BF:
Progress:

hi guys..
wow thats really good advice! the 2.5 day period back to ketosis is definitely motivation to stop cheating. also the flavored teas sound good. i'm def. going to buy some of the low carb atkins products to fulfill my sweet tooth cravings. so far so good..ive been really strict and will continue posting (it really helps to know there are people who care).

how are your diets going?
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 12:11

BF:
Progress:
Default water

also...ive been drinking a LOT of water and ive noticed weight gain..thats normal right?

its water weight correct?
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 17:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins:Induction
Stats: 219/219/190 Male 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 0%

I personally can't eat the low carb bars and treats made with Maltitol or other sugar alcohol. They make me stall, (I found this out my first time around). Be careful with them. I would start adding them slowly just in case. If you're willing to make your own snacks, there's some good recipes on this site.

Peace,
Bob
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 18:36

BF:

Your body will let go of the water. Give it time. I am surprised at how much h2o I drink without even thinking about it. I drink at least 5 20oz bottles a day plus any tea or crystal light at lunch and dinner.
I never had trouble with stalling, but be careful just in case.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-06, 19:06

BF:
Progress:

im just nervous because i've gained a pound since my increased water intake. so the atkins bars arent the best idea? i usually only have those as a snack if i have a small lunch or dinner.

also, i've read a lot about the low carb shakes as meal replacements. how does that work? i think i would be so hungry if all i had was a shake. does it work well?
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 06:19

Stats: 150/144/125 Female 5'4"
BF:still too much
Progress: 24%

I figure for every day I go off plan, I need 3 days to get back into Ketosis, so I DON'T go off plan. (Who wants to undo all that work???)
I like to snack at night too. Every night I have 2 sf jellos (prepackaged ones you but at grocery store). If I want something salty I have 28 almonds (yes, I count them out - and close the lid.)
I have a special drawer in my fridge that's all low carb foods. All MY stuff - everyone else KEEP OUT! (Don't mess with my cheese!)
I put the kids junk food (lunch box goodies) in a seperate drawer (the bread drawer) which I DO NOT OPEN! EVER! (OUT OF SIGHT OUT OF MIND)
This helps me out. If I STILL want to eat at night, I go to bed. I may read or watch tv there, but the kitchen is all the way downstairs, and it's cold down there...
Hope this helps!
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 08:35
Registered Member

Stats: 206/189/50 Female 64 indhes
BF:
Progress: 11%
Thumbs up Low carb bars, shakes, etc.

Hi,

I eat the Atkins Breakfast bars because they are a low 2 carb product and if I am still hungry I have 2 eggs or 4 slices of bacon. I have decaf coffee or tea in the morning too. I probably DON'T drink enough water because I drink the Carb Options or Atkins drink mixes which are 0 carbs. I also like Diet Pepsi or Pepsi Lime Twist because they don't have that bad Aspartame taste.
I just bought the Atkins shakes (premade in the can...the powder mix is gritty) for 50% off at GNC! I found they were great to have sometimes if I wasn't that hungry and they are surprisingly filling. I wouldn't say they are a meal replacement but I wouldn't have it just as a beverage.
I know it's hard to get your hands on now in Canada but the entire Carb Options line of products are great! They have ketchup, mayo, dressings, snack bars, peanut butter, etc. I am going to go to the States soon to load up. I hope these suggested products help you in your diet. I have now lost 5 lbs since Monday! Whoo Hoo!!!! Keep your chin up.

Feefighter
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-06, 10:01

BF:

There is a thread in the Atkins group about using the shakes as a meal replacement that I've been following. It sounds pretty interesting and I'm going to try it. You might want to check it out.