Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-06, 09:51

Plan: CAD
Stats: 168.2/168.2/135.0 Female 65
BF:14
Progress: 0%
Default 1/3rd VS. OUNCES

Hi everyone:

I have tried to do the CAD, but having trouble dividing everything into thirds. I've tried the 3 bowl things as suggested. Measurement wise: when you're dividing up your plate into 1/3's, are the piles supposed to be the same heighth & width size, weight or what??? I guess I just don't get it. All I know is that, protein, veggies and starches have different caloric values. I've read the book over and over and looking for the answers I need. NOW, HERE IS MY QUESTION: Has anyone out there mastered weighing everything in ounces instead of 1/3 portions??? I would be curious as to how that works out. I mean the book does state: 3-4 ozs of protein for complimentary meals, 2 cups of greens, etc., so why wouldn't that formula work for the reward meal?

Example for reward meal: What would the proportionate ounces be for:
6 ozs. of meat
_____ ozs. or cup(s) of green (low carb) veggies
_____ ozs. of bread, potato, desserts, etc. (MIX & MATCH)
Give precise examples please. Thanks

Also, it appears that "entry" and plan "B" are the same !!!

Over Thanksgiving, Xmas and New Years, I put 16 lbs. back on and I feel terrible and fat and those 8's I've been wearing are reallllllllly tight. I really binged terribly.

Really would like to make this work, because having that reward meal makes up for any deprivation you experience during the day. Any help the group can give is extremely appreciated. Happy New Year !!! If anyone wants to email me at meldan111 at hotmail dot com. I have free long distances if anyone is interested in talking on phone. Email your name and phone number. I'm not a weirdo

Sincerely,
Mel
57 (female) Endicott, NY 13760

Last edited by meldan111 : Tue, Jan-03-06 at 18:19. Reason: another question
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 06:55
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi Mel-
I am so sorry yu are having such a hard time with all this. Mel, I have been on CALP for over 2 yrs and I have never measured anything. It is just as easy as can be- just try and estimate equal portions of carbs, protein and vegies. It just seems to work out. The balance doesn't have anything to do with weight or calories or whatever. I balance just by looking at it. If you want the 3 bowl/plate idea, just use 3 of the same size bowls and plates and just do the best you can.
Please keep posting and asking and letting us know how you are doing. Right now the group seems quiet but we are here!
E
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-06, 07:00

Default Thanks Eno

E,
I don't have the CALP book. Waiting for it at the local library. What is the difference between CAD and CALP? You've done so well and I would like to know all your secrets, (so to speak) and I'm sure that everyone here would like some pointers?
Mel

Last edited by meldan111 : Wed, Jan-04-06 at 07:06. Reason: wrong grammar
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 13:04

Plan: CALP
Stats: 16/14/10 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi, Mel-
It sounds like you've been run over by diets! I think the whole premise of this WOL is that you don't weigh food anymore.

This diet has changed me from being a "mindless eater" to a "mindful eater"- if I really want that cake or wine, I make a choice to omit something else. I also divide the carbs into "bites" if I want two bites of potato and three bites of cake, etc. You want to keep those calories down. Most the time I start to panic that I don't have enough food, but end up shoving it all away full and satisfied with the carb still on my plate.

I'm also an emotional eater. Some days I eat less, sometimes more. This is the first time in my life that I can actually be an emotional eater! I have also relaxed a LOT about food because of the variety.

Hopefully your rhythm will show itself. Good luck!
Edy
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 18:58

Default Rm Portion Control

Edy, thanks for your comments. You're right about different diets: low fat (1200 cal), medifast $$$$, new lifestyle $$$$, protein power, atkins, etc. and now CAD. I can loose weight, NO PROBLEM, its keeping it off. I binge a lot. I can kick myself in the butt. I was down to 133 in November, and on Monday, I was 158 when I started CAD. By the way, I did loose 4 lbs. since Monday, so I think I may have my RM portions accurate enough or it could be something else. After seeing what Zul eats, I told myself I can't go wrong with my calculations. Another thing, [U]I am just soooooooooooooooooooooooo hungry after breakfast, after lunch that all I can think about is eating my wonderful dinner at 6:30 pm.[/U] I try to have dinner as late as possible, so I won't think of not having my bedtime snack. Eating everything in 60 minutes is something you have to get used to I guess.

Hey gals, look at my RM menu and let me know if my portions are good:
8 oz. boneless chicken breast fried in butter with 1 oz of mozzerella cheese, 1 oz. am. cheese melted on top with 2 slices of Italian bread and some blue cheese dressing on it
1/2 c. broccoli w/butter
salad (lettuce, tomatoes, onions) with 0 carb. blue cheese dressing
1 - 1/2 slice of homemade zucchini nut bread w 3/4 c. of Edy's pb ice cream and 1 cup of coffee with half and half.

Any help or hints is greatly appreciated.

Mel
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-05-06, 19:44
MAINTAINING ON CALP

Plan: CALP/CAHHP
Stats: 180/125/150 Female 65 in
BF:
Progress: 183%

Hi
You can use the search function and look up threads on the differnces. It's good to scroll down and look at old threads, too.
CALP has the RM always starting with a salad. For me, balancing the RM and having clean CMs is real important.
I also read and reread the books to keep on track. HTH-
E
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-06, 21:21
CAD for life

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 193/163.5/125 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by meldan111
I can loose weight, NO PROBLEM, its keeping it off. I binge a lot. I can kick myself in the butt. I was down to 133 in November, and on Monday, I was 158 when I started CAD.

Mel I thought I was the only person who can gain so fast, I looked at my journal and on October 1st I was 140 now 12-29 171 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh my where is my STOP button. You know I reached goal on CAD and maintained for 6 months before I switched jobs and decided to move back to Indiana. You see that MAINTAINED and for me that is the true and real secret to CAD...You know in fact food lost its control over me and I was still having my favorites at RM and staying in control.

Your reward meal looks good, I have a hard time visulizing how big 8 ounces of chicken is exactly because I never weigh/measure, I probably would have had more broccoli myself, but i love broccoli.

In the beginning I had to go to bed to keep from eating late at night at the computer or TV...Oh and make VERY sure you do not exceeed the 60 minutes, everytime I have slipped up on this I have had a binge/crave attack.

I make sure I have everything ready, my treat, my delicious meal I want so nothing will interupt me and I say to family I am sitting down now, I set the microwave timer then relax and eat at a leisurely pace, you konw it rarely takes longer than 30-40 even taking my time if I have everyting ready ahead of time.

One more thing start a journal and post your meals, Its good to look back at a see what you were eating when you were on track. If you want feel free to stop by my journal and read my meals, sucesses, restarts....You know I am right there with you...Kicking myself in the butt!!!!!!!!!