Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 21:53

Plan: PP
Stats: 171/143/135 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 78%
Default My story........!

Hi Everyone!

First off, thank you to anyone who posts here. Even if our situations are different, I read your posts and find encouragement. This is a great forum.

I bought a digital scale in late September, and was mortified to be 51, 5'4 and 185 lbs! I was never "skinny" as an adult. But at 135 I looked great. Everything was in the right place. And I'm a total apple! All the extra weight was between my shoulders to my hips.

I became disabled about ten years back due to a freak medical situation. I can walk very short distances, with a cane. If I go to the mall, or an airport, or someplace big like that, I use a wheelchair.

I freaked out and started following a "sensible" program in September. I lost 15 pounds in eight months of deprivation, guilt and anxiety.

Then I started reading about Gary Taubes and his approach. It made a great deal of sense to me. I bought the new Atkins book, and lost around ten pounds in less than a month. But I just still kind of hated it. I'm not a "counter". I just cant exist that way!

I have been so much happier on the PP plan. It is somewhat less restrictive than Atkins. And they explain the science. And even though now that I'm close to my goal, I find it very easy to stick to.

They are both Lowcarb approaches. I just really like the approach of Dr. and Dr. Eades way better than the whole Atkins camp. They seem like normal, fun people who are just there to support you in a lifestyle change!

But I also appreciate reading the science behind their program. It has certainly worked for me.

Not trying to bash Atkins here. It works. Now that I'm in the home stretch, the inches are coming off even when the scale doesn't move. I'll take it!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-11, 08:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Congrats! It sounds like you're doing very well.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 15:13
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Very inspiring story!
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jun-25-11, 15:15

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

congrats!! I'll have to get the book!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-29-11, 13:02

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

I too like what Gary Taubes has to add to the debate and read a really long thread that was facinating on the PP website where the doctor was responding to questions from the public. I am doing the induction diet by Atkins and plan on staying very restricted to awhile to kick the eating habits and mind sets of old. I eat more than the plan recommends and way more protein and that works for me. I tend to think the fewer processed carbs the better for life to avoid the insulin response and live in ketosis while overweight. I am only 9 days in so we'll see where I am at in 6 months! I have lost 8lbs and have 15-20 to go! Things are slowing down but I am down 2.5 inches in 6 days. Keeping your measurements is important as the scale will slow/stop/go up and that can be a bummer w/out other data to show progress is still happening.