Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Kick Nicotine Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-13-08, 14:25
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/185/185 Male 69
BF:
Progress: 100%
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainecyn
I just started Chantix today and I thought it was jus tsomething strange about me-feel like my stomach is upset and odd taste in my mouth at times. I've felt sick but haven't "lost it" yet. I will keep up with it and see how it does. I had my last cig last night.

I took chantix for 10 days before I smoked my last cig.

Starting with a half a chantix daily with a meal for a couple of days.
Then a half a chantix with breakfast and a half with supper for a couple/three days.
Then a whole chantix with breakfast and a whole with supper.
Then after I thought the cigs tasted like ~#$! I quit....
I was part of a Veteran's Hospital regular quit smoking weekly one hour support group..there were some urges but they were managable.

I feel it's important to take them with a full glass of water and a meal.

my self image and how healthy I feel is so different now compared to last summer. Quiting smoking 3 packs a day of camel non filters has made my Atkins easier cuz I can compliment the diet with a moderate 10 min a day workout....5 min on a stationary bike and a little weight lifting....my resting heartrate is down from the 90's in to low 70's high 60's.

As crazy as it sounds.......I am and always have been less than a will power kinda guy.............which leads me to profess...If I can do this....anyone can..........
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 04:12

Plan: atkins
Stats: 190/175/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

the chantix gave me a bad taste in my mouth when I was taking it and still smoking. Now that I've quit but I'm still taking chantix, I dont get that wierd taste. I dont seem to be having any emotional issues on this either. I am, however, detoxing? or something.........I get bad sweats and in the middle of the night(last night only) the nausea woke me up--it has passed now.....maybe not even related to the chantix but I didn't eat much yesterday (thank God, or it probably would've been in bed with me) eeeewwwww
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Oct-14-08, 15:21
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellen62
the chantix gave me a bad taste in my mouth when I was taking it and still smoking.

they told me I was really tasting a cig for a first time without the pleasure center activation that nicotine provides. I had no sweats.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Oct-15-08, 10:23

Stats: 170/153/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 43%

Just saw a commercial for Chantix last night. It was an FDA warning about risk of suicide or suicidal thoughts and it increases the risk of diabetes. After what I went through (and I wasn't even suicidal) I just think they should get rid of this drug. I know it affects everyone differently but WHY take the chance!!!!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Oct-19-08, 08:06

BF:

I was pre-diabetic (insulin resistant) about 2 months ago which is one of the things that got me started on Atkins to bein with. I am now on Chantix approx 4 weeks. I have no depression or other side effects at all. I am getting more blood drawn this week to see if the insulin thing got any better.......if it didn't, I will have to take meds . I sure hope the Chantix doesn't effect insulin. will post results when in.

As to "why take the chance"......I was a bit scared to take it because of all I heard in the news, etc but i figured I would try because smoking 2 packs a day for me was worse than trying this drug. I've tried EVERYTHING out there----I've quit 6 times----I was desparate for help and this drug seems to be doing it for me. I'm glad it is available.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Oct-20-08, 14:46
Registered Member

BF:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracyc1
I know it affects everyone differently but WHY take the chance!!!!

Taking Chantix is temporary...12 weeks at the most............Quiting smoking can last a lifetime.............

I'll take a chance in an effort to improve my quality of life. The way it turned out I couldn't be happier................quiting smoking opened the door to working out and weight loss, my self esteem is way up.................when people who have known me for years see me, they are always shocked that I no longer smoke and work out daily. I'm down 39 pounds.

I could go on and on and on...................the rewards of no longer smoking become visiable as soon as 4 days after you quit and get only better as the weeks roll by...............I mean really...from 3 packs of camel non filters a day to a non smoker is amazing.................
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-13-09, 14:26

Stats: 226/218/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 14%
Default I'm a Chantix user

Started today, my first smoke free day. I've been taking Chantix for the last two weeks, and I've had none of the bad side effects.

I tried it about a year ago, and think that I should have stayed on it longer. Went back to smoking after two weeks, and instead of getting back on Chantix I continued to smoke. This time, I'm chosing the Chantix.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 05:11

BF:

good luck maggie! The good news is that it only gets easier to stay away from the evil cigg

I am smoke free for 4 1/2 months and it gets easier every day. I used chantix full strength for 2 months and then 1/2 strength the third month.

You can do this
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 06:59
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%

I quit using Chantix...July 6th was my last cigarette. I took if for a week before quitting. I only used the first month prescription actually. I did have nausea to begin with, but hell any female who has ever had morning sickness could handle that..hehe I actually thought my nausea was due to my vitamins I had started taking at the same time. Anywho Chantix worked wonders for me!! Good job to all the quitters out there!!
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Feb-14-09, 14:49
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by gem52372
I quit using Chantix...July 6th was my last cigarette. I took if for a week before quitting. I only used the first month prescription actually. I did have nausea to begin with, but hell any female who has ever had morning sickness could handle that..hehe I actually thought my nausea was due to my vitamins I had started taking at the same time. Anywho Chantix worked wonders for me!! Good job to all the quitters out there!!
Woohoo! Good for you! Congratulations!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 16:54
Registered Member

Stats: 297/281/180 Male 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I started taking Chantix about a week ago and I have noticed a few things:

First, my weight loss STOPPED COLD! Not that I didnt expect a stall anyway because my body is changing so quickly, but it still sucks.
Next, When I smoke now, I truly receive no pleasure from it. It's kinda weird to go outside for a smoke break and find the cigarette that I've always had at the same time didn't seem like such a big deal anymore. My 15 minute break has turned to puff, puff, toss.
Also, I found that with each increase in dose, I am initially grumpy. Not sure what the deal is there, but I tell my wife up front that I'm feeling grouchy and she is very understanding. After about a day, I'm fine.
The dreams are AWESOME! I haven't had this many freaky dreams since I was 14! Sometimes I fly or the best ones are the ones where I know I'm dreaming! I have had about two of those this week!
All in all, I think the experience has been very positive. My only complaint is a strange need to smoke crack and buy an assault rifle. Is this wrong?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Mar-05-09, 20:46
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaja
The dreams are AWESOME! I haven't had this many freaky dreams since I was 14! Sometimes I fly or the best ones are the ones where I know I'm dreaming!
That's called "lucid dreaming." I often have lucid dreams, and indeed, they are fun!

Quote:
All in all, I think the experience has been very positive. My only complaint is a strange need to smoke crack and buy an assault rifle. Is this wrong?
Ummm ... well, right or wrong, try to keep those urges under control for now. You'll be finished with Hell week and into Heck week pretty soon. Things get easier from that point.

Congratulations on your very fine quit, BTW!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 08:21

Stats: 226/218/170 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 14%

Today makes 3 weeks smoke free, I'm really excited about it. I havn't gone this long without a cigarette since I was 16.

thomaja, i agree the dreams are awesome, i've never remembered so many in my life.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Mar-06-09, 08:24
Got MEAT!?!?!?!

Plan: whatever works =)
Stats: 316.8/191.1/180 Female 5.7
BF:too much
Progress: 92%

Way to go Maggie!!!!
You are doing great!!
  #30   ^
Old Thu, May-21-09, 11:54

Plan: -
Stats: 150/150/135 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:

Chantix--- FDA Warnings and Class Action Suits

http://www.consumerinjurylawyers.com/chantix/

http://www.fda.gov/medwAtch/safety/...m#chronological

Varenicline (marketed as Chantix)
Audience: Neuropsychiatric and other healthcare professionals, consumers
[Posted 02/01/2008] FDA informed healthcare professionals and consumers of important revisions to the WARNINGS and PRECAUTIONS sections of the prescribing information for Chantix regarding serious neuropsychiatric symptoms experienced in patients taking Chantix. These symptoms include changes in behavior, agitation, depressed mood, suicidal ideation, and attempted and completed suicide. While some patients may have experienced these types of symptoms and events as a result of nicotine withdrawal, some patients taking Chantix who experienced serious neuropsychiatric symptoms and events had not yet discontinued smoking. In most cases, neuropsychiatric symptoms developed during Chantix treatment, but in others, symptoms developed following withdrawal of Chantix therapy. See the FDA Information for Healthcare Professionals Sheet for recommendations and considerations for healthcare professionals on using Chantix therapy for patients.

[February 01, 2008 - Public Health Advisory - FDA]
[February 01, 2008 - Prescribing Information - Pfizer] Adobe Acrobat pdf format
[February 01, 2008 - Healthcare Professional Information Sheet - FDA]