Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-28-20, 04:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default How to Break a Keto Weight Loss Stall

A new Guide from DietDoctor. Many tips, supported by studies, for ways to troubleshoot weight loss challenges.
A new study from Virta that their patients lose scale weight for about 9 months, regroup for 3 months, then continue to lose weight in second year.

Troubleshooting a weight-loss stall with our tips and guides
By Anne MullensAnne Mullens, medical review by Dr. Bret Scher, MDDr. Bret Scher, MD – Updated January 27, 2020 Evidence based

Is it a stall?
Non-scale victories
How the body loses weight
When keto isn’t enough
Our top 10 tips
Summary

Are you eating a low-carb or keto diet but not seeing the results you expected? Does your scale seem stuck, yet you think you still have ample weight to lose?
We know it can be frustrating to see friends and family successfully losing weight and gaining health with low carb when you feel you are not.

You may wonder, “Am I doing something wrong? What else can I do? Is this eating plan right for me?”

This guide helps answer those questions and more! We explain what a true stall is, review how weight is lost, help you troubleshoot your own situation, and link you to other Diet Doctor guides for more in-depth information. Plus, we’ll give you our top 10 tips for breaking a stall.

We aim to empower you to make informed and evidence-based choices that are right for you. Our goal is to help you understand the pace of your unique journey and find options to try to get the scale moving again.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-l...t/break-a-stall
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 06:50

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Thanks! I found out about Diet Doctor site from this forum.
Its very helpful.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 08:54

I made this comment somewhere else, but will add it here. A few days after I posted this, thinking about that Virta observation of a 3 month stall after 9 months...I dug out my old weight charts...and darn if I didn't have that myself. Even though I had switched to counting total carbs from net only 4 months previously, there was was a straight line month 10-13, then resumed slowly downward. Interesting.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 09:15

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Well, I am so focused on the scale to see progress, that I tend to ignore other markers.

So, today, since nothing much is happening scale-wise, I took my measurements again

To my surprise, nothing has happened there either - after 2 months.

Is there a prize for being the slowest turtle in the race?
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 13:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Good health !
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 13:45

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

This is me!!!

Quote:
For example, the hormonal changes during menopause, especially declining estrogen, can slow metabolism, reduce muscle mass, increase body fat and store it in the abdomen.11

Too little thyroid can slow metabolism.12
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-20, 14:45

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Interesting JEY100 - I recalled I had an intersting stall and I went back and grabbed my little graph thingy from MyPlan here and pointed out two interesting spots.

First line at 5 months was where things were wacky and I stayed within a twenty pound range for 4 months. Then at MONTH 9 - linear to the bottom. I guess I reached my "plateau" early compared to the DD study.

Wow so weird!

I hopefully don't discourage new people that come here and thing they have it all planed out how they are going to lose weight linearly - like lets say for round numbers 10lbs/month (which is achievable by the way) and get confounded and disapear when it doesn't happen like that.

They just needed to keep what they were doing (generally) and wait AT LEAST a year. People don't like to hear that "... AT LEAST A YEAR" part but, oh well, neither would have I but I didn't care that much and realized what was going on (me not in control of the process - ok, maybe just a bit player in it) Dropped my goal weight and worked hard and dropping any expectations of what would happen.

I couldn't have guessed what has happened in the mean time, So why try.

And here we are

Thanks for the DD article.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 03:46

Thud, we always suspected you of being an "early bloomer" when it came to weight loss. The first five months you lost 80 pounds...much faster than the straight line 10 pounds a month. You reached that point earlier where your body realizes you are serious about fat loss this time and puts on the breaks to retain some of it. The rest of the trip downward to goal is the amazing part of your graph. I wonder if the observed "stall" around 9 months is a % loss? We both were roughly at 20% weight loss? More speculation...best go into the process with none
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 08:55

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

My question is Exercise. Does anyone increase exercise when stalled to get it moving again. I mean, my issue is hormonal plus age so my loss is slower. Low carb is really the only healthy thing that worked for me. I seem to be able to lose a lb per week if I walk at least 30 mins 6 days per week I also am using weights again to build up my muscle.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-20, 09:01

Tip #8 in this article, especially Weightlifting. I renewed a Y membership, and worked with a trainer to create a new program, different program.