Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 05:26

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%
Default Dr Mike's blog on the physiology of eating

As usual, Dr Mike goes into detail on the physiology and organic chemistry involved in the digestion of foods. Only at the end do his remarks speak generally.

He is always good at explaining in detail and this blog post is no exception.

https://proteinpower.com/a-new-hypothesis-of-obesity/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 12:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

WOW, this theory is amazing. Perhaps it is not just carbs that contribute to obesity but the decades of push to eat seed oils.
Quote:
My early hypothesis was that PUFA somehow drove the increase in obesity and maybe the fall off of saturated fat intake contributed.

In other words, maybe PUFA is driving the obesity epidemic while saturated fat is protective. So, I started looking for a biochemical or physiological mechanism that could explain this.

I came across the work of Peter Dombromylskyj, (see his Proton Series in his Hyperlipid blog) who had gone back the basic biochemistry of fat metabolism and noticed that saturated fat increased the production of FADH2 while PUFA decreased it. So, the ratio of the two, the FADH2/NADH ratio, may act as a switch to control the storage of fat. As the ratio goes up—more FADH2 to NADH—the storage of fat goes down.

If this were true, then it would help explain the enormous increase in obesity since around 1980. Since then—thanks to the widespread fear of saturated fat—we’ve all been reducing saturated fat and replacing it with PUFA.

By advocating the substitution of PUFA, provided mainly in the form of industrial seed oils, for saturated fat, which we have all eaten for millennia, in a misguided attempt to reduce the rate of heart disease, the nutritional authorities unwittingly set us up for the massive obesity epidemic we’re now in the midst of.

A diet high in PUFA, by the decrease in production of FADH2, inhibits the rate of RET, allowing the fat cells to continue to take up calories beyond a certain set point. Adding saturated fat increases the RET and signals that the fat cells are full.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 12:32

BF:

Did a quick look for info on saturated fats esp beef. This popped up to the top. Read carefully....look at the content of the fat source, the verbage is garbage as it rates higher levels of oleic acid are mire valyable than onega 3 and saturated fat amounts.

What our meat animals eat matters.

https://animalscience.tamu.edu/2013...does-it-matter/
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 12:42

BF:

Pork. Hogs are noted for putting on fat that can vary from soft to relatively hard. Its all about what the piglets are fed during growing and finishing. Makes me ask, how to increase tge saturated fat level of pork.

One source lists pork fat at 1:1 saturated to unsaturated fats.

And this tid bit to work in...
Quote:
A recent paper published in the Journal of Animal Science suggests producers may want to adjust pig diets when including distillers dried grains with solubles (DDGS). Some producers believe that feeding pigs saturated fats will undo the fat-softening effects of DDGS. Firmer fat means longer-lasting pork.

Which feeds increase the saturated fat in pork....
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 14:20

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Hmmm. Checked my package of ground pork from Aldis. 40% satfat. The grassfed ground beef is 35%.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-13-20, 14:43

BF:

As usual conflicting info..... maybe we can dig into this . For me, the study has more value . What is printed on packaging is not based on the best info, it just needs to meet the rules. I started questioning package labels a they are used to sell product.

How can we gather more info ??