Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Confession Booth
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jun-20-03, 09:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/148/133 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Hey blue_g

What you're describing is the story of every person who's ever attended an OA meeting. Emotions->sugar binge->guilt & discomfort.

Try a few OA meetings. Even if you don't want to do the program whole hog, they will help you get that behavior under control for a few weeks.

Really, I don't know how it works, but it DOES. If you go to a meeting and you sit in a room with a bunch of people who keep telling versions of your story, "Just one bite and I'm totally out of control," it makes it possible to stop.

I have no idea why this is. But it works.

Anyway, even if you didn't want to become a full-fledged member of OA< it would help you to cut carbs out completely for a sufficiently long time that you would be released from the craving.

Good luck.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 08:55

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default Mother Nature, what'd I ever do to you???

Ohhhhh boy,
Was wondering how that evil TOM would affect me after being on induction such a short time (11 days today, -weight gain the last few days, I'm still down 11 pounds, so I guess not so bad)

But, yesterday, scales showed a 5 lb gain ! I thought, geezzz, from 1/2 (ok, so it was a GENEROUS 1/2 all right ??? lol ) cup of watermelon and 1 small dinner roll (4 carbs in it) ??????

Waaaaaaaaa, Mother Nature, what did I ever do to
you ?????

Started to really question this as a way of life, got really depressed thinking I could NEVER EVER NEVER EVER NEVER
eat my favorite Mexican food, or have tators or pepsi again.
Heh, so I made myself a crustless cheesecake (16 oz cream cheese, less than 1/2 cup Splenda, unflavored gelatin stuff)

DH looked at me really concerned while I was standing at the sink eating it out of the bowl. Men just have NO clue how strong that evil TOM can be, do they ? Asked me if that was on my diet, I snapped IT IS NOW !!! rofl

But I feel better this morning, went to fridge, got one small teaspoon of the cheesecake pudding and went off to read other's misfortunes and triumphs on here.

I think I''m back under control now. Thanks for listening.

Phyllis ( Voo36)

CARBE DIEM !
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jun-21-03, 09:45

Stats: 162/141.2/115 Female 5' 2"
BF:Not A Clue!!
Progress: 44%

Voo!!

ROTFLMAO!!! I could certainly relate to standing at the sink eating the cheescake out of the bowl!!!!!! What a hoot!! I'm on this diet w/ my DH and we've been at each other's throats! He tries to blame it on PMS then he remembers he can't do that anymore since I had a hysterectomy 4 yrs. ago! I swear, tho, sometimes I have *phantom PMS*!!! I went off my HRT's so I've had a tough go of it these past three weeks! Yikes! I actually feel sorry for my hubby!

My dogs have gone running from the room when I get into one of my "moments" cuz they've never seen this side of me before and one of them is 11 yrs. old!!!

Hey, I'd like that recipe for the crustless cheesecake!! Yummm!!

BTW, Baskins Robbins makes a hard candy that's make with Splenda that I keep handy when I have one of those moments when I'm in the car or something! It keeps me from swinging into the nearest Dairy Queen and scarfing down a Blizzard!!! I found them at Wal-Mart and they're quite tasty!! It hasn't seemed to affected my weight loss since I don't eat them everyday.....just for emergencies!!!!
  #34   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 09:39

BF:
Default "On your diet?"

I love the comeback to hubby, "IT IS NOW!" I'm going to use that one.

Don't worry about the five pounds -- it's water.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 10:03

Plan: Low Carb Intuitive Eating
Stats: 289.0/261.2/199 Female 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

SmileS Wryly,

That line is MOST effective if your head can do a full 360 degee spin and green pea soup shoots across the room a'la Exorcist ! lol

Feelin' better today, back on track after cheating a bit on the weekend. I REFUSE to go thru life afraid of every little bite of food that I put in my mouth.

Will just watch for the things that trigger an all out blitz craving and avoid them.

Have a good one hun. We're all in this together.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 10:13

BF:
Default thoughts

I forgot to add -- when you find yourself obsessing over foods you can no longer have (like Mexican), I find it's helpful to focus on the things I CAN have, and the fact that I don't have to feel hungry, or suffer uncontrollable cravings, or count calories.
  #37   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 12:08

Ya know I don't understand what the difference is between counting calories and counting carbs...........YOU'RE STILL COUNTING!!! Everyone that told me to try this diet said, "Oh, and you don't have to count calories....it's great!" Well, we're counting carbs so what's the difference!

I'll be honest............I'm not counting anything! I'm just flying by the seat of my pants and guessing and being careful not to overload on certain things! The counting thing discourages me and I'm losing weight not doing it!

I know it's a personal thing on how to control your intake, but counting anything takes the fun out of eating! If it's a new WOE, then I don't want it to feel like a chore! My lifestyle is just too busy to stand in the kitchen and count every single food item that goes in my mouth!!

Just my .02 worth!!

Last edited by J.J. : Mon, Jun-23-03 at 12:09.
  #38   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 12:27

BF:
Default counting

Yeah, counting carbs is a chore. But not as much of a chore as the constant exhaustion, hunger pangs, lightheadedness, irritability, and muscle weakness that you have to deal with on restricted-calorie diets. More power to you for making it work in your own way!
  #39   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 12:59

Thanks rhaazz!

I didn't mean to sound like an old biddy when I posted that, but counting just doesn't work for me! I tried doing that for the first week and 1/2 and it just about did it for me and the Atkins!

Hubby was pestering me about every little carb I was serving him and wanted me to know exactly how many carbs he was getting. Well, I told him to do it himself! I've been a bitch on wheels since going off my HRT's and Luvox so I gotta do this so I don't drive myself INSANE or I'll end up back on them!

I'm not doing so bad, really, and I'm getting more creative with meals and we're still losing weight! If we were all carbon copies of one another...this would be a pretty dull world....eh???
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 09:51

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

Here is my cheat. All the heck I did was have some peas and mashed potatoes with a piece of low carb steak and I got on the scale and put on 2 pounds. Well, I will let you know that I do not feel guilty! Those lbs. will go right back to wherever the heck they came from. I am going to go back on induction for a day or two or three to see what happens. Well I am going to go for a little walk and I will see y'all later.

Keep The Faith,
Black57
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 12:33

Good for you, Black!! I bet it tasted good while you were cheating, tho!!!!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:04

Plan: atkins/intermit. fasting
Stats: 166/136/135 Female 5'3''
BF:
Progress: 97%

J.J. they were real goood. I went for my walk today and I won't check the scale for a while. I will just walk and take care of myself carb wise.

Talk To you Later
Black57

J.J. What part of Ohio are you from? I am originally from Warren ( half way between Pittsburgh and Cleveland ). I have been in CA for 4 years now.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 13:32

Hey Black! I'm in the southern part of the state close to the Ohio River!

I know exactly where Warren is located! I used to go thru that way all the time to visit someone in Meadville, PA!

I lived in Thousand Oaks California in 1985-6 and loved it there! Do you know where that is located?

BTW, I grew up in Columbus, Ohio!

Keep on walking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 13:31

Stats: 249/175/150
BF:
Progress: 75%
Cool hey rhaazz

I'm feeling mighty fine this week. I got myself back on track and I'm feeling the wonderful effects of a sugar-free body. I really do feel great when I don't eat sweets, it's very weird. You know I lived my life from day to day, and I'm talking pre-low-carb days here, anyway I ate what I wanted, cookies, Little Debbies, candy, cake, breads, pasta, potatoes, basically everything that was making me fat. And although I knew I was fat, I never realized the effects it was having on my body internally. The sluggishness I always felt, my ups and downs with energy. Anyway before I get too carried away, thanks for your words of encouragement and advice. I'm not quite ready for OA, I mean, I'll keep it in mind, but I am going to try and help myself through this journey and I always have the forum. This is such a great thing, I come everyday and read posts and replies, and it's very encouraging, and very, very helpful. Thank you all for being here.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Jul-25-03, 22:20

Plan: Moderate Carb...
Stats: 235/195/140 Female 5'3
BF:HELP!!!
Progress: 42%

Okay....Okay...Okay....I cheated for the first time yesterday with a slice of cheesecake... I did the same thing today....but after each slice of cheesecake I had a low carb vegetable and protein.... And surprisingly I didn't get the sugar high....I do feel a little extra weight on my hips...the bump is back...lol....but I'm not going to weight myself until Monday....

This weekend I will just do chicken and vegetables and protein shakes for snacks.... Hopefully Monday the scales will read 197 again....or less we'll see... I have read some of the other posts and I do think that if we are going to cheat you might as well follow the CAD principle to decrease the insulin spike... Also, in Fit for Life they encourage going off plan on Sunday and eating whatever you want so I'm thinking about that scenario when I go into maintenance.....Hopefully by the end of the year...