Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 326/295/250 Male 6'5
BF:38% / 33% / 15%
Progress: 41%
Default Target Weight / BFI

Hey all, I have a question about choosing a target weight. When I started the diet 2 months ago I got a BFI test from my gym and was at 325 lbs ~ 28%.

So I was carring 91lbs of fat, which would mean that I would be at Zero fat at 234lbs. Correct?

Ok, so obviously I don't want to set my goal for Zero Body fat. But what is a good Target to set? I know it will come down to how I look and feel. I was thinking 250 to start, But fitday's graph shows that as Severly OVerweight (I am 6'5").

I know that it varies between muscle tone and bone structure and all that, but I am curious how you came up with your goal weight, and maybe can give me some insite other then me just shooting in the dark.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 07:47

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Hello Stuart and welcome to the board and LCing.

Women can begin to set a goal weight by allowing 100 pounds for the first 5 feet of height and adding 5 pounds per inch over 5'.
So at 5'7", I could set a lower limit of 135 pounds. But if a person has a larger frame and lots of muscle development, that could go all the way up to 160. I am being realistic and set 170 pounds as my current goal. A goal weight can always change as you approach it.

You might want to set 'interim' goals or mini-goals and you can celebrate as you achieve each.

There are height-weight tables on the net (I have posted links in a thread here somewhere - use the Search function for the last few months.) They are of help IF they have a fairly wide range for each height.

Go to the Exercise Forum and see what BF targets those people are setting. Many people - Natrushka, for example - have really gone into the research on 'good' BF%

Good luck.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 09:28
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

That depends, choose a target body fat percentage instead of a weight one as if you are with a gym you will probably build muscle. at 325 and 28% body fat you have a lean weight of 234 you figured. If you get down to 15% body fat that means you would have 85% lean weight. So take your lean mass devided by 85 then multiply by 100. 234 / 85 * 100 = 275. So 275 would be a goal weight for 15% body ft, unless of course your lean mass increases For 10% body fat 260 would be a goal weight. As you are working out and gaining muscle mass though, you should have your body fat retested often to see if your lean weight is increasing. It could be a disapointment if you are just watching numbers on the scale and it isn't moving because your goal weight has become too low The formula is from Protien Power.

Don't go by the height weight charts. They are ok for the average person, but not people with high muscle masses. For me to fit into what they consider a good range for my body I would have to drop to 0% - 18% body fat, which I think is a tad low. I'll shoot for 20% and what ever weight that's at I'll be happy
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 09:57
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 300/278/200 Male 6' 4"
BF:More than I need
Progress: 22%

Stuart,
I agree that for us tall guys (I'm 6-4) the height/weight charts seem screwy. I can't imagine being 6-4 and weighing 160 as the chart suggests. Would guess that would be a -10% body fat!! What if it gets windy!!! I'm shooting for 200 lbs. at the higher end of the chart. And believe me I will be skinny compared to today. I've already seen a drop in blood pressure after a month of lc'ing. Good luck!!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 10:09

Stats: 326/295/250 Male 6'5
BF:38% / 33% / 15%
Progress: 41%

Ok thanks for the Help and Ideas. I think I will target a BFP of 15% and a Weight of 250. Which will give me a sub-goal of putting on more muscle. And when I get closer, if the numbers aren't matching up, I will re-adjust later.