Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249.2/242.6/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 7%
Default Kettlebells?

I'm starting to work out with kettlebells. I did them for a bit last year and had some good results, but had Kettleworx DVD's. The workout is really effective, but the editing was poorly done and annoying so I dropped it.

I found Kettlenetics with Michelle Khai. Mixes some dancy moves with light kettlebells. Not sure how effective it will be yet.

Anyone doing this? What dvds do you like?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-12, 07:53

Stats: 181/173/131 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

hi I'm using kettleworx and it is annoying lol so badly edited BUT I love kettlebells, going to try some other programme I have bought, will let you know what it is when I find it paarrrrrffffff
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-21-12, 03:33

BF:

I'm thinking of getting the one by Bob whatshisface from Biggest looser, since I like him on the show. His would probably be pretty good. I'll let you know if I do.

With the dance-ish one, I'm almost afraid to use anything over 5lbs on the kettlebell since some of the moves seem like they'd be awkward with a bigger weight and I have one shoulder that tweaks on me.. I think a pinched nerve and I don't want to irritate that. I may see though, I have an 8lb bell too.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-12, 07:07

Stats: 181/173/131 Female 64
BF:
Progress:

Thanks for your reply, yes please let me know about Thingymabobs Dvd lol
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 11:38

Stats: 280/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Oh duh I just posted a thread, didn't see this one first. I have 2 Danskin (plastic, sand-filled) kettlebells, a 5lb and a 10lb. They come with Gin Miller's Calorie Burner Workout, which I think is really great. I got Kettleworx at Target, but haven't opened it yet. I read some reviews about the terrible editing and the uneven reps, so I'm thinking I should take it back (especially since I could use the money). So I should probably go ahead and return it, huh? I really wanted to love it after seeing the infomercial. I don't know how they could let such a stupid issue ruin a good workout set.

I might get another video or two...when I do I'll review them...
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 13:04
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I found workouts on-line. A friend sent me this link which I found interesting.
Quote:
Each directional weight carries its own unique modifications, from anatomically designed handle grips and specific weight distribution for balance, to specially angled backs to match forearm angles during snatch movements. We designed each DemonBell while paying as much attention to function as we did form.
http://demonbells.com/
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 18:35

BF:

Isai - I would take it back. They *do* deliver a good workout, however, he uses the exact same footage everytime he does a new circuit, and he uses it on the other DVD's too, so you have this constant feeling of deja vu. And if he's made a mistake, it's in every repetition of that clip. I really think it could have been the best kettle bell workout ever if the editors had just paid more attention.

He also says that women never need to use more than a 10lb bell, which other kettle bell experts disagree with. They say ladies should work up to 15 lb ones or even 20 lb. This makes sense to me, because many men use 35 lb bells. I think it's fine to start low, but the idea is to progress.

I got Bob Harmon's dvd set today and did his Cardio Shred Kettle bell one. It is a workout, but there is a lot of stopping to explain things. I wish he would have a tutorial section and then just a workout that I could go straight through. I don't need to know how to do a kettlebell snatch, dead lift or swing. I can do those.

He also includes non kettle bell movements. Probably 1/4 of the workout is doing things that are not involving the kettlebell, some pushups - which I've seen on other kettlebell dvd's and some jogging in place with high knees. He says to keep your heartrate up. There's another move.. forget what he called it where you squat, put your hands on the floor and hop your feet out behind you in a plank, then hop back in and up. I didn't do that one, since I'm battling shoulder injuries, I just did more swings.

I'm a little disappointed because it had rave reviews on Amazon. However, I have to say it was kicking my little booty too, so I will probably stick with it and see what results I get.

Haven't done the strength one yet.

One thing I did appreciate, the girl he had doing the workout looked like she was struggling with it too. Nice when even the 'in shape' one has a hard time like me!
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 18:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I found workouts on-line. A friend sent me this link which I found interesting. http://demonbells.com/

Mike those are really cool! Speaks to my hidden goth side.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 18:54

Stats: 183/124/120 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I have a friend, woman, who is at 35# and is planning to move up to 40 in a few months. She doesnt use a DVD. Does the 300 swings, 50 each side clean jerks and more. Im going to go to her house and have her show me how to do it but doubt I can ever do that!! She does chin ups and pull ups and skates with a rollerderby group. She is the cutest little thing you ever saw!
Shock? ya!!
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 19:01

BF:

I've been looking at this set seriously, too! Guy looks like he knows what he's doing.. good form. He has you tube clips on the site demonstrating.

Skogg's KB System
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 19:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorris47
I have a friend, woman, who is at 35# and is planning to move up to 40 in a few months. She doesnt use a DVD. Does the 300 swings, 50 each side clean jerks and more. Im going to go to her house and have her show me how to do it but doubt I can ever do that!! She does chin ups and pull ups and skates with a rollerderby group. She is the cutest little thing you ever saw!
Shock? ya!!

Oh, very cool! I had a friend who did roller derby too. She's fun!

Maybe I should just make my own workout. Let us know how you like it.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 19:33

BF:

I will!! I think roller derby would be fun but I keep imagining myself falling on my bum and not getting up well!! LOL
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 19:38

BF:

I use the cast iron bells like the demonbells but without heads!
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 20:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knorris47
I will!! I think roller derby would be fun but I keep imagining myself falling on my bum and not getting up well!! LOL

Yeah, I'm not coordinated enough to skate without killing myself. However.. I can layer a shimmy on the hips and chest circles in belly dance.

Yeah, the demon bells are cool looking, but a mite expensive. I might use the prospect of getting one as a reward. I've already promised myself a smoking hot bellydance costume too for reaching goal.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-12, 22:22

Stats: 280/260/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 13%

Yeah, I'm probably taking Kettleworx back. It sucks that they did such a poor job putting it together. It wouldn't have taken so much more work to do it right. I'm just glad I never opened it (I got it 2 days ago). I got the 10lb Danskin KB 'cause I couldn't find my Gin Miller DVD, and getting the set at Walmart was only a little more than buying the DVD separate online. I did a bunch of swings yesterday and my quads are killing me now haha...and I've been doing squats and lunges regularly for a couple of months. =)

Anyway I'm gonna do the shortest workout on the DVD on Saturday with my 5lb KB to ease into it again (I did it about a year ago and had to stop due to injury), see how I feel. I might make myself wait a couple weeks before I increase the weight. I plan to do KB twice a week and still do one round of my current weight training program with dumbbells. I definitely plan to up the weights as I get better...and when I get my 15lb KB it'll be cast iron. I'll try different workouts as I go and I will go as high as I am able with the weights. I wanna be She-Ra!

I'll check out those websites...I'm on my phone, currently.

Off I run to work!