Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-14-11, 17:12

Plan: Classic Atkins
Stats: 275/272/165 Male 180cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Default Atkins and Moksha Yoga

Atkins is already water intensive- you drink a LOT of water. Moksha Yoga is really sweat intensive - you sweat a LOT. So I'm curious how this works? Is this safe? Has anyone else tried the two combined...?

Moksha Yoga is a type of Hot Yoga with Roots from Bikram - but supposedly more relaxed. The room is heated to 100 degrees / 37 C (Body Temp) during the workout. This is supposed to allow the ligaments to loosen and reduces the risk of injury. I'm told I should expect my first class to involve a puddle of sweat at my feet - and a constant struggle to breathe in the heat ... But afterwards I'm supposed to feel dynamite.

I was told to hydrate well before class... I'm already back on induction so to be on the safe side I've drank about 120oz of water so far today.. (peeing like clockwork) ..

Little jittery. First yoga class ever.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-22-11, 08:51

BF:

Thought I'd post my own reply incase anyone else comes looking for the same info.

Have now done three yoga classes whilst on Induction. After first week on induction I'm down 12lbs. What I noticed is that my water intake needs to go up - way up .. but also my fat intake. During my first class I found I was shaking during exercising .. and afterward - I wanted to eat everything in sight .. 4 hours before my 2nd and 3rd classes - I ate a meal high in fats .. and the workout went much better.

A 140lb person doing Hot Yoga will burn 440 Calories per one hour class. Since Yoga uses body weight for resistance - the calories burned goes up, the more you weigh. At 260lbs - I'm burning around 860 Calories per one hour class.

Since I'm on induction .. and in Ketosis ..The body is burning through what little carbs I have .. and must burn fat / protein for energy.

Going to keep going.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Mar-11-11, 15:30

BF:

Just thought I'd further this thread. I noticed I was drinking a LOT of water but was still exhibiting symptoms of heat exhaustion during classes. After my 3rd class I just exited and drank drank drank.

The last class I went to, I brought an Electro-Mix solution. I was sweating less .. felt cooler .. and was not drinking like a camel after. Rehydration therapy - gotta love it. Problem is that all the sports drinks have sugar in them which I don't agree with. Give http://www.emergenc.com/index.php/p...lty/electro-mix a try if you are finding you just can't hydrate - its been working great for me.