Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Australia / New Zealand
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 03:28
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Sorry for the late reply, mermaid!

I don't think I have an exercise plan. I haven't really put that much thought into it. I do Pump on Sun, Tues/Wed and see my PT on Fridays.

It's just what I do, makes my muscles bigger and increases my strength. That's why I do it Not for weight loss.

I really have to get myself a copy of the Good Calories Bad Calories book!

xv1942, do you think the fact Gary Taubes is a journalist and not a medically trained person casts any doubt over the information in his book at all??
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-08, 05:05

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 163/129.4/133 Female 160cm
BF:28%
Progress: 112%

No worries Erika

We're still roasting through the longest heatwave ever recorded in any Australian capital city so exercise has been non-existent over here for the moment.

I've looked at the link you sent xv1942. Very interesting. Let me know how you go with it.

I've had 3 c-sections (the first 2 were emergenies) so I have a little pouch for a belly. I wonder if I can ever get rid of it without surgery. I hoped some weights would help tone it up a bit but it may be mostly loose skin.

Oh well..... The kids were totally worth it
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 20:49
Registered Member

Plan: No Carb
Stats: 200/172/165 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mermaiden9
No worries Erika

We're still roasting through the longest heatwave ever recorded in any Australian capital city so exercise has been non-existent over here for the moment.

I've looked at the link you sent xv1942. Very interesting. Let me know how you go with it.

I've had 3 c-sections (the first 2 were emergenies) so I have a little pouch for a belly. I wonder if I can ever get rid of it without surgery. I hoped some weights would help tone it up a bit but it may be mostly loose skin.

Oh well..... The kids were totally worth it

Hi mermaiden9,

Well I started doing a few "Slow Burn" exercises. And I mean a few. The first I tried was just standing in front of the kitchen sink and using the counter for balance I squatted all the way down with my back vertical. Then I rose slowly straight up, counting one second counts and taking a count of ten to get all the way up using only the leg muscles. Five of those was enough for one day. Supposed to do between 8 and 16. I'll have to work up to it. I now know why they call it the slow burn. Try doing a couple and you'll see.

I've got one of the elastic exercise bands and I worked the arm and shoulder muscles with that this morning. Not to bad but I'll have to work up to the 10 to 12 reps. You expend a lot more energy than you think you would. You are tired afterwards. My thigh muscles are a bit sore this evening. The arm muscles aren't bad.

I had to laugh at the idea of a pouch. Surely you weren't serious.

Have a great day!
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-18-08, 21:25
Registered Member

Plan: No Carb
Stats: 200/172/165 Male 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsheets
Sorry for the late reply, mermaid!

I really have to get myself a copy of the Good Calories Bad Calories book!

xv1942, do you think the fact Gary Taubes is a journalist and not a medically trained person casts any doubt over the information in his book at all??

Hi Besheets,

Regarding Gary Taubes being a journalist and not medically trained. I personally would say no. He does have a masters degree in science, the hard physics kind. Truthfully I would expect a physicist to have a better grasp of what science really is than and MD. But that is just my opinion. Then there is the fact that few journalists have any clue about science or what it is. So that makes you question even more valid.
But your question is very relevant for trying to judge the book. Gary Taubes presents the book as a long involved history of how the medical establishment got to the point where it is today. The book has over 60 pages of bibliography. The way he references what he talks about in the book is by an index of page numbers with the citations for each page where he talks about what was in the paper. So what we're left with is reading all the cited papers and making our own conclusions. A daunting prospect to say the least. Mr. Taubes says he spent five years on it and I don't doubt he did.

By the end of the book while he was saying what all the research had left him with was pretty much the Low Carb Hypothesis. The other thing that comes out of the book, although he doesn't explicitly promote the idea is that modern medicine isn't scientific but just pretends to be. When researchers do a study and write up their findings so the findings agree with the current conventional wisdom and essentially ignoring the data from the study one has to wonder at the integrity of the medical establishment.

I'm lucky as I started to research this stuff two years ago. When I started I had no clue of what or how the body functioned. But I come from an engineering background so I had a head start on most people. The driving impetus for me was my wife's diabetes problem and the lack of any kind of medical solution. A lot of time on the Internet and a lot of time with biochemistry books drove me to the point where it was obvious that carbohydrates were the problem. So the obvious thing to me was just quit ingesting them. So we did and the diabetes problem goes away. It was like a miracle. Reading Gary Taubes book for me was validation that what I had figured out was pretty much correct. He has a lot of stuff in the book that I wasn't aware of, like the connection to cancer and perhaps Alzheimer's disease.

So I'd recommend reading the book but as I said its not a simple read and he says that he did it that way with the hope that doctors would read it. But it's not that hard either.
Just take your time at it.

Have a great day!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-08, 07:44

Plan: Paleoish
Stats: 218/175/155 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 68%

Haven't been here in a while and couldn't believe it when I saw the heading of Mt Barker! Yes I live there too!
So how are you going Mermaiden? Are you still LCing? I am just returning to it but am finding it harder to get my head around since having my 2 children (also emergency cesaerians!). I find that I feed the kids and hubby before I sort myself out! That has to change as I would like to try for another child at the end of the year.
Look forward to hearing from you.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-08, 05:08

Hi Melberry
Yes, I am still low carbing and have just found out I'm pregnant (last one). I intend to continue eating low carb throughout the pregnancy although I have increased them to maintenance levels (not that I'm really counting).

Low carb has become a way of life for me, I intend to stick with it for good now.

I'm really excited to hear of someone else lowcarbing up here. How old are your kids? It is hard getting back on this WOE after a break especially with a family to take care of but it's worth the extra effort.

I just have to tell you of some delicous chocolate we found over in the Strathalbyn Foodland, it's called Markz and has a variety of flavours from dark mint choc (much nicer than the well naturally brand) to coconut milk, almond milk, dark orange, milk chocolate, dark chocolate and they are really really good! They only cost $1.85 and are a great treat. Just so you know, I don't have shares in the company I haven't found them anywhere else yet.

Well it's great getting to know someone else lowcarbing in the area. Stay in touch.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 06:02

BF:

Hi Mermaiden
Congratulations on your pregnancy! I plan on having 4 and will be going for number 3 at the end of the year. I have 2 girls who are 3.5yrs and 14 months.

I am finding it really hard to get started at the moment. My brain just doesn't function like it did pre-baby! I remember the days when I decided to change my diet and exercise everyday and did it with barely a thought. It's probably the carb haze hindering me now. Today I went shopping and have made a start. Now I need to refresh myself on carb counts again. Do you use a plan like Atkins or PP? Do you use protein powder? Do you record it in Fitday or something or do you have it down pat now? Would appreciate some advice on how you do it with 3 kids. DD1 was brought up low carb and seems to prefer it but DD2 only would eat finger foods and refused my favourites of avocado, banana and tuna. She is still breastfed.

The choc sounds good! Will look out for it as I go to Strath weekly.

How old are your kids?
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-08, 23:48

Hi Melberry

I only have 2 at home. My eldest is nearly 17 and does not live with me. My youngest are 4 and 2.

I was following Atkins, although I've been slack with carb counting for a very long time. These days I live the principles, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or sugar. I guess strictly speaking, I'm not really following any plan per se but I am living the low carb lifestyle.

My family are not on low carb but they often eat low carb lunches and dinners. I cook from Dana Carpenter's 500 Low Carb Recipes, which I ordered on Amazon. It's cheaper than buying it here, even with postage costs. I also use DANDR and recipes from this site and others online. I guess the key is planning but I must admit it was tough in the beginning.

I still have days of poor planning where I end up winging it but because I've been doing it for a while now I always manage, even it means resorting to more eggs, but usually there is always something I can throw together. I make flax bread for sandwiches and use the empower low carb wraps from the big health food store across from the printing place in Mt Barker. I snack on nuts when I just feel like something and on Friday and Saturday nights, I allow myself sugar free treats such as chocolate or icecream. Everyday I take a multi-vitamin, fish oil and drink a glass of kefir (instead of milk). If you're interested in Kefir, let me know and I can pass some grains on to you.

My kids love their carbs too. I was not on this woe when they were younger so I've created a love of carbs in them. I hope to change that for the new baby but we'll see how we go.

When I cook the evening meal, I will occasionally add a carby side for the family but often they eat what I do.

It might take you a while to get back on the wagon but I'm sure you will get there. Don't pressure yourself too much, it's tough with little ones. Sit down when you have time and work out a weeks menu and go from there. It helps if your husband/partner is onside.

I'm not at goal but I've been lazy with exercise and strict carb counting, plus now that I'm pregnant, weight loss will have to take a back seat <sigh>

If you're ever interested in catching up let me know.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-08, 01:09

BF:

That's basically the plan I was doing before kids! I generally kept carbs below 30grams but in the end didn't need to count as I just didn't want to eat carbs anyway. I can't wait to get to that stage again!
Unfortunately DD1 and I are egg intolerant which makes low carbing a bit harder work.
Would love to know more about Kefir as I haven't heard of it. Also, do you make your flax bread in a breadmaker?
Would love to catch up and discuss it more in person. I'm sure I will have more success if I know someone who understands low carbing. In the past I have found that people don't really understand it and so don't have anything nice to say about it!
Anyway, send me a PM and we will organise a time and place to catch up!