Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Aug-04-20, 20:28

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

From reading his 2016 book The Longevity Diet, the FMD is to address immediate issues (cancer, etc.) - so the protein sources are strict. For someone with no issues, and fasting for preventative measures (that's what I do), your diet will look a lot different. That's my take.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Aug-05-20, 13:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I just recently paid attention to this style of fasting from a Marty Kendall newsletter and downloaded the Free explanation with 165 pages. https://www.datadrivenfasting.com/book I had to order a new glucose meter, and may join his challenge https://www.datadrivenfasting.com/home when after I test this a bit more.
Well I just requested the free book which means I'll probably get hit with a boatload of emails now, but the info at https://www.datadrivenfasting.com/t...250a55d971ddabc was interesting to read:
Quote:
To achieve long term success, you need to find the minimum effective dose of fasting that gives you long term results you want without pushing your body so hard that it rebels and leaves you trapped in an endless restrict-binge cycle.
This is sort of me. I do feel like a eat a LOT on my eating days, even weighing and measuring all my food, Which of course does get old after a while.
Quote:
Even if you were able to weigh and measure EVERYTHING you ate, the data in your app never perfectly matches the foods you are eating.
Your body also doesn’t ‘burn’ the food in the same way that calories are measured.

​Your calorie tracking app doesn’t account for the thermic effect of food that changes, depending on the macronutrient profile of your food and the degree of processing.

​Any calorie target from an online calculator is going to be inaccurate. Your metabolism is complex, and the amount of energy you require depends on a range of factors, including your muscle mass, exercise, your stress level and your sleep time and quality (not to mention lockdowns and pandemics which restrict your movement).

​Your energy expenditure changes from day to day. So, if you try to maintain a fixed calorie intake, there is a serious risk that your healthy appetite signals will become dysregulated as you try to push through hunger some days and overeat on others.
Yup, yup and yup.

Well I'll be curious to see what the free book has to say. So many fasting gurus out there, and will adherents claiming awesome success. I've never heard of this method before.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 04:55

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Marty Kendall does not send out many newsletters, and they are loaded with Interesting Free information when they do arrive. This Technique requires at the beginning frequent BG tests but I haven’t been doing any in well over a year, so it has been eye-opening to start. Although annual check at the doctors was a few points under 100...I am solidly in the 100-120 range all day, so higher than expected. At the beginning, I am mainly watching the impact of a list of foods and noting how the readings effect hunger. This year has been crazy and I need to get back on track, so trying this as the structure to re-boot. Today is 10 years since I started LC with the New Atkins book...And I need a fresh start with a new decade! The book has links to other free information..his list of nutrient dense foods for blood sugar control, videos with Dr Naiman,
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-06-20, 15:18

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Well I just requested the free book which means I'll probably get hit with a boatload of emails now, but the info at https://www.datadrivenfasting.com/t...250a55d971ddabc was interesting to read:
This is sort of me. I do feel like a eat a LOT on my eating days, even weighing and measuring all my food, Which of course does get old after a while.
Yup, yup and yup.

Well I'll be curious to see what the free book has to say. So many fasting gurus out there, and will adherents claiming awesome success. I've never heard of this method before.

I got curious and downloaded his book, too. Very interesting information and I plan to experiment with it since I already have the glucose meter at home. Thanks for the book link!
  #20   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 11:08

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Haha, I was hoping for a short cut as Im struggling with even a fast day.

Have you tried different 24 hour periods and different days? I prefer to start at lunch on Tues.

Other tips are to keep busy and drink plenty of water or unsweetened green tea or black coffee.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 12:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I found that some green tea with salt and coconut oil would fix me right up.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 19:15

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan_rose
Have you tried different 24 hour periods and different days? I prefer to start at lunch on Tues.

Other tips are to keep busy and drink plenty of water or unsweetened green tea or black coffee.

You're right...must set myself up to get thru 36 hours. Success in the past was when kids did own food for the day and I avoided the kitchen except for ice, water, and seltzer....... smell of food is a trigger to eat.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 19:41

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I'm still working with the ideas in Marty Kendall's book (the link cited a few comments above). I like the concept in their book of finding and using the least amount of fasting/restriction/etc. needed by your individual body to get the job (weight loss, health) done and not push harder than that so the body doesn't rebel against too much demand on it from too long fasts/too much stress on the system so things backfire. At least that's how I'm currently interpreting their ideas. Measure blood sugars to know how your body reacts and what you need and not just what some one-size-fits-all plan suggests. I'm learning a lot about how different foods affect my blood sugar and when I'm really hungry or not.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 20:43

BF:

Quote:
Problem #2: Popular fasting protocols don’t do anything to retrain your healthy appetite signals so you don’t end up with a binge eating disorder.

Oddly, I was a binge eater as a carb addict. I will always be a carb addict.

"HEALTHY APPETITE SIGNALS" is complicated. If I eat to satiaty, its still too many calories to drop excess pounds of stored fat.

Otherwise, Im still reading the link posted a few posts back.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 03:41

BF:

I wish to state that in my extensive experience, it is much easier to fast, with green tea, salt, and coconut oil, than it is to eat 800 calories.

The Fat Fast from Atkins comes in second. And that gives you 1,000 calories!

I'm not saying it won't work for someone different. But every time I've had to white-knuckle through an eating routine, it turns out to be bad for me. So now, I look for sustainable from the jump.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 10:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
I'm still working with the ideas in Marty Kendall's book (the link cited a few comments above). I like the concept in their book of finding and using the least amount of fasting/restriction/etc. needed by your individual body to get the job (weight loss, health) done and not push harder than that so the body doesn't rebel against too much demand on it from too long fasts/too much stress on the system so things backfire. At least that's how I'm currently interpreting their ideas. Measure blood sugars to know how your body reacts and what you need and not just what some one-size-fits-all plan suggests. I'm learning a lot about how different foods affect my blood sugar and when I'm really hungry or not.

I am also enjoying the Data Driven protocol, though still working on the surprise of how high BG was. 8 days In now and learning about foods (I am thinking dairy has to go...very sad) and finally have a few 98/99. If you don’t mind many finger pricks, and tracking foods, numbers...it can be fun. As someone was quoted in the book, if your BG indicates you are not really hungry and should fast longer...that is easier for his mind to accept than just tough it out for x more hours until the fast ends. And since many recommended foods align with Dr Naiman's P:E diet, I am making positive diet changes (though weight loss hasn’t followed yet). The novelty of having a glucose meter again and consistent tracking of food is enough for me now, happy just to reduce BG readings while tweaking the food.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Aug-12-20 at 12:50.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Aug-12-20, 18:18

BF:

One of our past members regularly used bg stick to check the personal effect of specific items. As I remember, strawberries spiked the bg but not cherries. She ran week long experiments, eating the exact same food and only chamged one item.

Someone else checked nuts in this same fashion. Raw better than roasted.Then rated each kind of nut.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-20, 02:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
One of our past members regularly used bg stick to check the personal effect of specific items.

It's a good technique! I used a free glucose meter to show DH the effects of his favorite meals. He changed them.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-14-20, 08:43

BF:

The power of numbers and science!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Aug-23-20, 10:55

Plan: None, limit carbs, Omega6
Stats: 161/140/140 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I wish to state that in my extensive experience, it is much easier to fast, with green tea, salt, and coconut oil, than it is to eat 800 calories.

WereBear, have you read somewhere that oil is fast-mimicking?