Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Fibromyalgia, CFS, S.A.D.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 13:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%
Default SAD - Seasonal Affective Disorder

http://my.webmd.com/content/article/1685.50927

By David Avery , MD

Question:
I'm usually pretty cheerful and energetic, but I've noticed the last few years that I start feeling pretty down around this time of year -- I just don't have much energy or enthusiasm. Am I depressed?

Answer:

Nov. 20, 2000 -- Of course, it's hard to tell without meeting you, but one possibility is that you have the winter blues -- or seasonal affective disorder (SAD), as doctors call it.

People with SAD usually feel fine in the spring and summer, then experience symptoms of depression in the fall and winter, when the shorter span of daylight seems to throw off their biological (circadian) rhythms. Their energy lags, they eat more and gain weight, they want to sleep a lot, and they may have trouble getting up in the morning. A lot of folks feel down in the dumps -- and they feel that way almost every day.

People with SAD tend to stay in a deep sleep later into the morning than usual, then feel lethargic, drowsy, and "wiped out" during the day -- much like a case of jet lag. Unlike jet lag, however, the distorted sleep patterns of SAD can persist for weeks or months. It's easy to imagine how this could lead to a major depression!

As many as 1 in 20 people suffer from SAD, and it appears to be more common the further you get from the equator. For instance, while about 1% of people in Florida get SAD, it's closer to 10% in New Hampshire, according to a study in the February 1990 issue of the journal Psychiatry Research. Many more people have milder versions of SAD -- their symptoms are still evident but not severe enough to qualify as a major depression.

Many people think of depression -- including SAD -- as a women's disease. And it's true that about 2 out of 3 people diagnosed with SAD in this country are women, according to an article in the Dec. 8, 1993, issue of The Journal of the American Medical Association. But lots of men do get SAD -- more, I suspect, than are reflected in most estimates. I think one big reason for this is that guys often tend to "tough it out," so they don't seek professional help.

So what can you do if you're feeling this way? My primary suggestion is that you bring more light into your life. Literally. The more bright light you're exposed to each morning, the better. If you get up after sunrise, you could go outside or sit by a large window -- even on cloudy days. But even if you must rise before the sun does, there are still things you can do.

You may have heard about "light boxes" -- powerful lamps that expose people to lots of light. In my experience, these lights really work for a lot of people who basically just sit in front of one for about 30 minutes each morning. You don't have to stare at the light -- you can read, have breakfast, carry on a conversation, or even watch television, as long as the light box is in your peripheral vision. Fixtures that offer 2,500 to 10,000 "lux," which are about 10 to 20 times brighter than average indoor light levels, are probably the most effective.

A newer, more convenient technique is called dawn simulation. With this system, an incandescent light in your bedroom is set to a timer. It comes on before sunrise and slowly increases in brightness. There is not as much research on this technique but it seems promising. Both these types of light therapy seem to work by shifting your circadian rhythms earlier in the day.

Talk to your doctor about these light therapy techniques. If they don't work, you may also want to discuss taking antidepressant medication, which seems to help some people with SAD.

Whatever else you try, you should carefully manage your sleep patterns. Try to curb the familiar habit of staying up later on Friday and Saturday and "sleeping in" the next morning. Get to bed and get up at set times every day. Ideally, this will help your body re-establish your biological clock. And by all means, make sure you get enough sleep.

David Avery, MD, is a professor in the department of psychiatry and behavioral sciences at the University of Washington.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 14:49
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/186/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 54%
Thumbs up

Hi T. Great post!

Hope you don't mind .. I've redirected to the Fibromyalgia, CFS and SAD forum, so interested folks can find it here.

I've been using my bright-lightbox every morning for the last couple of weeks now. It helps!

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-02, 14:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/180/160
BF:
Progress: 69%
Cool sad

Thanks for the great post on s.a.d.I have had it for a number of years and only resently found out why it happens,but did'nt know of some of the remedies.Mine seems to have gotten better over the last few years,but its still there.Mine seams to last no more then a month,i think the best thing to do is stay busy,and be around friends and family more.I have also heard of this gland at the base of the bottom back side of the neck,peanil gland ,ok im sure my spelling is'nt correct but it sounds something like that,anyway if that gland does'nt get enough lite then one could possibly get depressed or just not feel 100%.Hope this helps in some small way,Dave.