Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 01:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/205/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Exclamation Carb counter conflicts

Well, I am wondering what you all can tell me bout this. In Atkins NDR, there is a carb counter at the front and back of the book. There are some descrepencies.
The counter at the back of the book says:

Back: Front:
6 cauliflower florets: 1.5g 4.4g
1/2 cup broccoli: 1.7g 3.9g

This is there for most of them. The only thing I have noticed is that in the back of the book, is shows "total carbs" and "digestible carbs", the ones Atkins says to follow. In the front counter it only has one listing, and that seems to be the "total carbs". I have been following the carb counter at the back of the book but am afraid I made a boo-boo. Has anyone else noticed this?
PS-What is a floret? Is that the stem and the little tree? we always called broccoli "trees" and cauliflower "snow trees" when I was a kid, so I am lost.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 05:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 197/184/145 Female 5 ft 6 in
BF:45%/32%/22%
Progress: 25%

You have been doing it correctly. You use the digestible carbs, or what other LC plans call ECC for effective carb count.

A floret is one of the small bunches with a little stem.

funny how we often name things differently. Snow trees is so appropriate if you are a kid! We always called garlic cloves "garlic toes"

There's a carb counter here at this site too. It has a much more extensive listing than in the book. Look over to the right. near the bottom of the quicklinks listing, and click on Carbohydrate Counter if you need to find something not in the book.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Dec-07-02, 10:24
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I'll throw in my 2 cents here...

A better way IMHO to learn about carb counts in relation to portion sizes is by weighing foods. You won't be a slave forever to the scale - just until you get the hang of it.

You'll be amazed at how few carbs there are in LC vegetables and how big a portion is if you weigh.

Karen