Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 15:47

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default Heightened suicide risk after weight-loss surgery

I don't remember having seen this article here yet. I wonder if the depression and suicide is associated with nutritional deficiencies due to the surgery.

BTW, I have to say that the comments to this article are particularly stupid.
  • "People who eat themselves SO fat have problems to begin with."
  • "If these people weren't serious depressed or mentally ill otherwise, they would not have begun eating themselves to death in the first place."
  • "Knowing you can only eat a tiny amount of anything for the rest of your life is like another death sentence."
  • "I honestly believe that this didn't turn out to be the 'quick-fix' that they were hoping for and realized that they still had to work in order to get to a healthy weight."

Is there some requirement that one be a total moron to post comments on new stories?

Quote:
NEW YORK (Reuters Health) – Severely obese people who undergo weight-loss surgery may have a higher-than-average risk of suicide in the years following the procedure, a new study finds.

The report, in The American Journal of Medicine, adds to evidence that patients who have bariatric surgery to lose weight have an increased risk of suicide compared with the general population.

But the reasons for the pattern, researchers say, remain unknown.

A number of studies have found that while the absolute rate of suicide among bariatric surgery patients is quite low, it is still higher than the norm for the general population.

The benefits of weight-loss surgery are well-documented. The procedures, which alter the digestive tract to limit food intake and nutrient absorption, can help severely obese individuals shed a substantial amount of weight. They can also reverse obesity-related health problems like type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.

The latest study, which tracked deaths among Pennsylvania residents who underwent bariatric surgery, examined a longer period than previous research -- up to 10 years following the procedure.

Among 16,683 who had bariatric surgery between 1995 and 2004, 31 committed suicide by the end of 2006, the researchers found. The data translate into a suicide rate of nearly 14 per 10,000 men per year, and five per 10,000 women each year.

Those numbers are substantially higher than the suicide rates among Pennsylvanians in the same 35-to-64 age range, during the same period. Among all men in the state, the suicide rate in 2005 was 2.5 per 10,000, while the rate among women was 0.6 per 10,000.

Overall, 30 percent of suicides in the surgery group occurred within two years of the procedure, and 70 percent occurred within three years.

For now, the reasons for the higher suicide risk are unclear, according to lead researcher Dr. Hilary A. Tindle of the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania. Her group's study, based on death certificate data, could not examine details surrounding the individual suicides.

But the study does not imply that bariatric surgery itself leads to suicides -- something that is "critical" for patients to understand, she told Reuters Health in an e-mail.

Rather, she said, it may be that some bariatric surgery patients have depression or other mental health problems before the procedure -- or develop them afterward -- and that, in turn, increases their overall suicide risk.

Depression is common among severely obese adults, including those who seek weight-loss surgery, Tindle and her colleagues point out. One study of surgery candidates found that two-thirds had, at some point in their lives, experienced a so-called "Axis I" disorder, a group of mental health conditions that includes depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders and substance abuse.

Bariatric surgery candidates do undergo screening to see whether the operation is appropriate for them, and that includes a mental health evaluation. But a history of depression or other psychiatric conditions does not necessarily preclude a person from having the surgery.

Instead, Tindle explained, a team of health professionals -- including the surgeon, a dietitian, a psychologist and, often, an exercise physiologist -- try to determine whether an individual is medically and psychologically ready for surgery, and if not, they attempt to address any underlying problems.

More research, according to Tindle's team, is needed to understand why bariatric surgery patients show an increased suicide risk. If there are pre-surgery characteristics connected to a higher risk, then some suicides might be prevented by more careful monitoring and treatment, the researchers say.

Also unclear is whether suicide risk depends on how much weight a person loses after surgery. It's possible, Tindle's team speculates, that any pre-existing psychological distress could be exacerbated if patients have disappointing weight-loss results -- or if their overall quality of life does not improve as they had hoped.

According to Tindle, the findings indicate a general need for longer term monitoring of patients after surgery.

Bariatric surgery centers across the U.S. do post-surgery monitoring, with the recommended follow-up being six months.

But, "most of the suicides among individuals in this study occurred later than the time post-surgical follow up usually ends," Tindle said.

About 225,000 Americans are now having bariatric surgery each year, according to the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery. Given those numbers, Tindle said, it will become increasingly important to understand the factors that contribute to patients' heightened suicide risk.

SOURCE: http://link.reuters.com/mah85p The American Journal of Medicine, online September 14, 2010.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100928...suicide_surgery
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 15:53

Plan: VLC
Stats: 265.4/238.8/199 Female 5'5.5"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Depression is common among severely obese adults, including those who seek weight-loss surgery, Tindle and her colleagues point out. One study of surgery candidates found that two-thirds had, at some point in their lives, experienced a so-called "Axis I" disorder, a group of mental health conditions that includes depression, anxiety disorders, eating disorders and substance abuse.

This caught my eye, because psychotropic meds are well-known for causing weight gain, sometimes severe. I used to participate on the NAMI bipolar forum. Discussion of how to lose the weight caused by the meds was common. I'd be interested to know how many of these obese people reporting an Axis I disorder "at some point in their lives" became obese from their meds.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 13:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I have frequented certain blogs, particularly by Melting Momma, who speaks about the nutritional deficiences and the problems that leads to.

She has seizures as a result of absorption problems.

As though the malnutrition is not bad enough, that alone could lead to depression, I'm theorizing.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 14:02

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

I think suicide is an alternative when there is no end in sight. And frankly, once we cut off a piece of intestine, there is truly no end in sight. No end to hunger that is. I'm no expert in either suicide or bariatric surgery and I can think of this off the top of my head. I wonder why the article says "But the reasons for the pattern, researchers say, remain unknown."

Why am I sure that there will be no end to hunger? Because when we cut food intake significantly enough, Ancel Keys showed us that humans will suffer both emaciation and neurosis to the point of self-mutilation. It's but a short step toward suicide.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 14:05

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by costello22
This caught my eye, because psychotropic meds are well-known for causing weight gain, sometimes severe. I used to participate on the NAMI bipolar forum. Discussion of how to lose the weight caused by the meds was common. I'd be interested to know how many of these obese people reporting an Axis I disorder "at some point in their lives" became obese from their meds.

Here's something about that:
http://www.why-low-carb-diets-work....eight-loss.html
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 16:48
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

It appears that quite a number of people have a lot of physical problems following WLS, not counting the psychological problems that immediate profound malnutrition is likely to cause.

I might add that it occurs to me, that some degree of ignorance about eating well is a problem even for people who are not missing a whole chunk of intestine. The other day in the cab, the cabbie tells me his stepson was on atkins, but it was terrible, he lost 100# but felt horrible and had constipation so bad he had to go to the doctor after a week of not going, and had gout made worse, and so on. I could only think that a) they probably didn't even read the damn book, clearly his fat intake was way too low, and b) apparently it didn't occur to them that if living on nothing but steak is a problem maybe you should do something different. Instead they blamed Atkins as unhealthy. These were people *without* any known problems (aside from the standard level of stupidity in the general public, that is).

It seems to me that people after WLS are in a really tough place. We know how hard it is to deal with all the cooking etc. in a whole foods low carb life, but imagine if you can only eat a few bites, WTF is the point at all it would seem like. And of what you eat it's mostly not even digested properly perhaps because a critical part of your body is gone.

Add to malnutrition and likely related problems, physical ailments, and not losing all the weight you hoped and it seeming like if that does work, nothing will. All in all I'd say it's a recipe for a freakily depressing experience. If a person wasn't suicidal going in, the process going anything but brilliantly could certainly lead there without much work.

PJ
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Oct-06-10, 17:09

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

One factor I can think of is that lots of people use food as their mood handler; when that is stripped away after surgery, there's severe consequences, and I don't think all the programs deal with it properly.