Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Main dishes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Tue, Mar-20-07, 21:34
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Made this tonight. It was interesting! I had to hold back on the mustard as dh isn't a big fan. I don't think I've had a chili dog since I was a kid.

A few time saving tips if I may....I buy large quantities of hamburger and put them in the crockpot to cook all day (along with seasonings, onions, a little green pepper). I freeze this and when I need ground beef for a recipe - viola! I've also begun making my own tomato sauce. I saute some onions and peppers in oil then add a couple cans of stewed tomatoes I've purreed in the blender. Season to taste. Unbelievably tasty and easy. Not sure of the carb count but with no added sugars I'm thinking it is pretty decent as tomato sauce goes.

Btw, this is definately an economical dish.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-07, 03:37

Stats: 181/178/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 6%

Oh my, I made this Tuesday night and it was delish! The only problem I had was portion control - it was so good, I couldn't stop at one serving
  #78   ^
Old Sun, Feb-10-08, 20:36
Amazonian Princess

Stats: 310/310/155 Female 5' 7"
BF:i/have/some
Progress: 0%

Oh Em Gee!

Luzyanna - thank you for posting/creating this wonderful miracle of yumminess!!

Leslieam - thank you for suggesting mustard on top!

I just made this for dinner and am in love (sorry dh, I would leave you for this dish! lol)

I didn't use a chili packet, just my own seasonings from my ol' bean chili days....chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, crushed red pepper and cayenne pepper (yup, like it hot!)

Next time, I probably won't put the cheese on before cooking, but put it on "fresh" before serving it.

When I make old-bean chili for dh, I find myself getting jealous when he uses the leftovers to make chili dogs...now I don't have to be sad! lol

Yea, this is awesome and can't wait to have more!! Thanks again!!!
  #79   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 11:07
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 203/192.6/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 13%

I went shopping for the ingrediants to make this last night and everything I found had tons of carbs. The hot dogs I found had like 3 grams of carbs per "dog" and the tomato sauce had 6 grams of carbs (and 1 gram fiber) for like 2 table spoons. Also the chili packet had lots of carbs in it too.

What brands are everyone using??
  #80   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 11:39

Plan: General LC
Stats: 00/000/000 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I buy the Nathan's hot dogs, which are 1 carb each, and use the small can of Hunts tomato sauce. Remember, you are dividing your carbs into 6 servings.
  #81   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 11:58
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 203/192.6/120 Female 60
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetsyJ64
I buy the Nathan's hot dogs, which are 1 carb each, and use the small can of Hunts tomato sauce. Remember, you are dividing your carbs into 6 servings.

*edited* let me add up the carbs

Last edited by LowCarbJen : Tue, Feb-12-08 at 12:05.
  #82   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 12:06

BF:

Holy cow!! That is way too much!! Yeah, look around for some lower sugar tomato sauce - I think the Hunts was the lowest I found. And the Nathan's hot dogs are really good too - a tad expensive, though, so be ready!
  #83   ^
Old Tue, Feb-12-08, 12:07

BF:

Or another thought - the first time I made this, I forgot the tomato sauce altogether, and it was still really good. Oh, and I only use 1/2 package hot dogs, 4 of them, not the whole package.
  #84   ^
Old Thu, Jul-03-08, 07:31

Stats: 341/284.0/210 Male 72
BF:Unknown/32.5/17
Progress: 44%

hmmm this is something I will definitely have to give a try
  #85   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 14:44

Plan: Atkins ~ DANDR
Stats: 230/230/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:it is going down!
Progress: 0%

making this for dinner tonight! Cant wait!

Okay. I ETA that I did my own chili seasonings so that was cool. I also used a can of Tomato Paste that had a total of 10.5 carbs, with 1 carb for each hotdog. that is 20.5 carbs not counting the carbs for the 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese baking on top. That is how I will eat it ~ so not too shabby.

Last edited by *Sheila* : Thu, Jul-24-08 at 15:17.
  #86   ^
Old Fri, Aug-01-08, 11:46

Stats: 208/203.6/170 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 12%

Hi All,

Had this today... THanks Luzyanna it was very yummy.

I somehow managed to buy ingredients that make each serving 5 carbs (total of 6 servings). I used a small Hunt's tomato sauce that had a total of 7 carbs, a Chili spice pack (I believe it was McCormick) that had 8 carbs total, hot dogs 1 carb each (my pack of hotdogs come with 6 larger sized dogs, it's a nitrate free brand), and 2 cups of shredded cheddar cheese 8 carbs = 29 carbs / 6 servings = just under 5 net carbs each.
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 09:14

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

I made this last night for supper. I was very pleased and have left overs that I will heat up tonight. I will try mustart tonite as well. Very good........I like casseroles.

Nanci
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-08, 19:18
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

I keep looking at this recipe and the first thing that jumps out at me is the amount of sodium in chili seasoning mixes and hotdogs and tomato sauce. If you are sodium sensitive you need to be really careful with recipes like this and adapt them but I haven't found any low sodium hotdogs.
  #89   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 09:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 250/196/140 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 49%

Yes, very high sodium......I should have known.......I blew up like a balloon and did not eat any leftovers.

Nan
  #90   ^
Old Fri, Aug-08-08, 09:28
revcharlie

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NANCI B
Yes, very high sodium......I should have known.......I blew up like a balloon and did not eat any leftovers.

Nan

Hi Nan,
I guess the thing Pennink and I probably didn't say on the sodium thread was you become an almost religious label reader when you are trying to eat low sodium and low carb. Make your own chili seasoning, buy sodium free tomato sauce and then you might be able to get away with the sodium in the hot dogs if you are really craving something like this casserole. Also, in my research for CHF, I discovered that you can get low sodium cheese much easier in the United States. I don't have the links right now, but if you check out the CHFpatients website and google low sodium cooking you should be able to find it. Me, I just don't eat any processed meat and that always keeps the sodium way down.