Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 09:46

Plan: Very low carb
Stats: 192.2/160/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by melibsmile
Do not under any circumstances take the statins. If she won't leave you alone, find a new doctor. (Sorry if that sounds harsh, but I'm really sick of "professionals" trying to force women to take drugs that have significant side effects and no proven effectiveness in women. She's just trying to cover her ass I'm guessing, and you don't need to indulge her.)

--Melissa

Thanks. I have no plans to ever take a statin.

I'm also fighting to keep my husband off them. He's a 'part time' low carber which can be worse than not being one at all. (He gets saturated fats here and then goes out and eats bread for lunch, not a good combo.) I've just gotten his committment to low carbing for 6 months.

So I do feel like I'm fighting doctors left and right to keep statins out of our lives.

Why recommend a statin before niacin treatment or garlic? I just don't understand.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 09:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Why treat cholesterol as evil when it isn't necessarily?
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 10:10
Absurdtive

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272.5/174.4/165 Female 5'4
BF:44?/32.6/20
Progress: 91%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beez in BR
Why recommend a statin before niacin treatment or garlic? I just don't understand.

Because most docs are bombarded by the pharmaceutical companies who drill the prescription options into their head. Treatments like niacin and garlic don't have a cheering section that stands to make a huge profit, so most doctors aren't aware of them. Sad but true. Just ask Dr. Davis.

--Melissa
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 10:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Why treat cholesterol as evil when it isn't necessarily?

I agree, but I know I won't be able to convince my dr. of that. I am just hoping to moderately decrease my LDL a little during the next four months by doing what I'm already doing.

I'd also LOVE to have a VAP test so I could have something on paper to show that I have predominantly Pattern A LDL.

I'm not taking a statin, ever. They'll just have to put me down as 'non-compliant.' I just hope my insurance doesn't penalize me.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 01:13
Absurdtive

Nancy and Lisa (if she can see this): Lisa was right. I did have a thyroid problem, more specifically a reverse T3 problem. I switched doctors earlier this year, after needing to wait to switch health insurance during open enrollment last year in order to get on health insurance that would partially cover out-of-network doctors. I have been on compounded T3 since late March. I am not optimized yet, but we are getting there. Anyway, my cholesterol numbers have dropped like a rock to where they should have been the whole time. Check out the sexy cholesterol numbers:

TC: 181
LDL: 98
HDL:73
Tris: 52

To give you some perspective, here were my numbers in December 2009:

Total Cholesterol: 394
LDL: 299
HDL: 71
Triglycerides: 132

It's funny because this is where my numbers should have been....and my WOE is putting them there, but the thyroid problem was masking it. Now that it's almost normalized, they are back where they should be--I actually eat more carbs now than I did at the time, but it's not a huge change; not like the pre-LC to LC change in my diet. With a triglyceride level of 52, the calculated LDL of 98 is an overestimate; if I run through the Iranian equation, I get 75 instead of 98. Sexy.

--Melissa
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 09:49
Experimenter

BF:

It is amazing what a difference T3 can make!
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 23:38
Absurdtive

Quote:
It is amazing what a difference T3 can make!

It really is. Lynn and Lisa both said that this would happen but I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical (just the natural New Yorker in me). I'm convinced now.

--Melissa
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Dec-09-11, 23:15

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

Quote:
Want a better reading of your LDL?
Here's a calculator that'll do a better job if your triglycerides are under 100.
http://homepages.slingshot.co.nz/~geoff36/LDL_mg.htm

Example for me:

Total Cholesterol: 250
HDL: 66
Triglycerides: 59

Friedewald LDL: 172
New Calculation: 143

I prefer the original number for me

Total: 131
HDL: 45
TG: 85

Old: 69
New: 76
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 10:00

BF:

Quote:
I know I won't be able to convince my dr. of that ((cholesterol isn't evil.)) I am just hoping to moderately decrease my LDL a little during the next four months by doing what I'm already doing.

I'd also LOVE to have a VAP test so I could have something on paper to show that I have predominantly Pattern A LDL.

I'm not taking a statin, ever. They'll just have to put me down as 'non-compliant.' I just hope my insurance doesn't penalize me.

Just wanted to update this, since it's been a while:

I had a VAP test and it showed, of course, that my LDL was Particle A (large, fluffy, benign) and my endocrinologist was still giving me a hard time because of the total number.

So I had a calcium heart scan, which I had to pay for ($119) and scored a ZERO. My endo was flabbergasted. Really, his mouth opened and closed a few times when I told him. Then he said (even though he knows I am strict low carb), "Well you must just be genetical predisposed against getting heart disease. Soldiers in the war in their 20's were examined when they died (because of the war) and even they were found to have calcium buildup in their heart. At the age of 42 with a calclium heart score of zero, you won't ever have to worry about heart disease."

I thought it was funny. Because I already knew I didn't need to worry about it because I was strict low carb since June 21, 2010 and will remain so for life. I also know that if I went back to high carb that I would have to worry about heart disease . . .

That was three months ago. I'm about to go back next week. I'm curious to see how my numbers look, because I was finally able to give up drinking heavy whipping cream. I wonder if my numbers will look more acceptable to him, but I'm glad that I have my calcium heart scan to remind him about.
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 10:04

BF:

Quote:
Thanks. I have no plans to ever take a statin.

I'm also fighting to keep my husband off them. He's a 'part time' low carber which can be worse than not being one at all. (He gets saturated fats here and then goes out and eats bread for lunch, not a good combo.) I've just gotten his committment to low carbing for 6 months.

So I do feel like I'm fighting doctors left and right to keep statins out of our lives.

I wanted to update this, because it's so great!!!

My husband has drastically changed his eating habits and probably has about 70 - 100 grams of carbs a day (way more than me, but much less than the typical person.)

I went to the doctor with him last month and after looking at his labs the dr. said, "I don't know what you've been doing since last year, but whatever you're doing -- keep it up! Your cholesterol numbers are fantastic!"

Woot! Woot!

Now my husband is really a bleliever.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Jun-05-12, 08:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr William Davis has blog post today about the transient increase in LDL while still losing weight: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...sterol-went-up/. Good explanation for Short term changes in all the cholesterol markers. The reader had the test done after three months, which Dr Phinney and Volek noted in the Art & Science of LCL, is about the time frame this effect can be at its worst. Very helpful article.

He does not address the issue of higher LDL after being VLC and weight stable for a while, which is another issue.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jun-05-12 at 10:14.
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 13:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Mark Sisson has a new blog post on this topic, offering a few other reasons for higher LDL, both in the long and short term. Includes practical advice to test and correct each idea. With the macronutrient deficiency, supplementing with a thyroid support product that includes iodine, selenium, etc is another option.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/why-.../#axzz1yvXLrxcT
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Jun-26-12, 13:06
Absurdtive

Thanks for the link Janet.

--Melissa
  #74   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-13, 12:24
Experimenter

BF:

Inserting a link to an article about the shortcomings of the Friedwald calculation: http://www.sciencedaily.com/release...30326141941.htm
  #75   ^
Old Thu, Mar-28-13, 14:23

Plan: Whole Foods Atkins
Stats: 178/168/150 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress: 36%

Hello
I am trying to read and sort through all of the good info here. I have been a faithful LCer since Thanksgiving 2012. Two years ago, my cholesterol was high (doc still waiting for my records from Mayo to arrive). So last week had blood work done and was really anticipating great numbers. Instead:
TC 334
HDL 81
TG 82
LDL 237

My new doctor a little freaked and wants me on low-fat whole grain immediately. However, no statins,etc. but another test in 3-4 months. I am wondering if the blog by Dr. Davis addresses this. The test was after about 3 1/2 months of LC...28 lb loss.

Blood pressure 100/68
All other tests perfect.
My mother and sister have thryoid problems and have always had high cholesterol.

Whew....I am taking a deep breath and staying calm!