Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jul-06-05, 22:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%
Default Please Read! "Herbal Magic"

Guys, I am a nursing student and we are out in the hospitals getting our clinical practise. I saw something today that you guys will not believe. I think that I can vouch for all the Canadian's and say that we, as ex-dieters have heard of the Herbal Magic diet, and may perhaps have seen the stores around in your area. Anyways, I am stationed in a heavy care unit and one of the patients on our floor was on it. The patient was admitted to the hospital 7 years ago when the diet they were on caused a stroke, later leading to severe brain damage, then decline, now vegetative state. I kid you not folks, and yes the Dr.'s and lab tests confirmed that it indeed was the cause of it. What happened was this persons potassium level was depleted and potassium is one of the important electrolytes in our body. I realise that we are on Atkin's, but I know of several friends that are on Herbal Magic, and I cannot stress enough this story. Those of you who do know of someone on this diet, please advise them to go to their dr. and get their blood and electrolytes tested. Or even advise them to take a potassium supplement. I would hate to see another of these cases. The patient was 33 years old when this happened. Be safe everyone!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 00:14

Plan: Low-carb (balanced diet)
Stats: 162/160/130 Female 64 inches
BF:35%/34%/25%
Progress: 6%

I've never heard of this diet. What is it?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 08:11

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

OMG, that's terrible - I looked into that last year and thank god it so expensive I never gave it a shot! I'm so sorry for that patient.

Vikki
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 08:13

Plan: Atkins / Curves
Stats: 182.0/182.0/150 Female 5'6"
BF:27.2
Progress: 0%

#5   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 08:31

Plan: Self Made Plan
Stats: 194.2/191.6/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

I never heard of this either, but just a reassurance that I don't want to take anything that promises me "instant" weightloss!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 08:59

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default Looks like low-cal to me

There's not much information on that site. Interesting that they have built the links about franchising before they have built the link for remedies. However, the little tangible information they have suggests that it's basically a low-cal plan with supplements, and that makes me wonder just where the potassium deficiency came from.

I don't know how quickly K+ deficiency can come on. I know with me, there are PLENTY of warning signs that I'm heading into trouble--signs I CAN'T ignore, like leg cramps.

Any eating plan will be dangerous if you ignore your own body's signals.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 09:23

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

I doubt the diet had anything to do with the womans stroke. Stroke is not linked to low potassium levels.

Low potassium can occur on any weight-loss plan and has many other causes.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 09:26

Plan: 1
Stats: 110/110/110 Female 111
BF:
Progress: 74%

What happens when a diet isn't followed properly? Aren't we then at risk of medical consequences? Like Atkins...and dropping carbs to as close to zero as possible, which means dropping the veggies! Or staying on induction for way too long?
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:09

Stats: 136/129/118 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 39%

The whole point is do the research before you immerse yourself into it. I hope we all know that we should never drop the veggies, and zero carbs is just plain unacceptable.

As for the potassium depletion, the reason that it caused a stroke is because repolarization was not occuring in her motor neurons, causing her action potentials to be constantly excited. Basically if your nerves are constantly stimulated you get a twitching sensation (ie leg cramps with pain or a funny sensation). In this patient's case her depleted potassium caused extreme paristaltic movements in her nerves, added to the fact that potassium is a major electrolyte for heart and respiratoy function. This either caused a piece of plaque in her arteries (we all have a degree of plaque) or an air embolism to travel to her brain, hence the stroke.

Missscruff is correct in saying that certain people do not follow things as perscribed. I'm adding that people also do not research their diet before beginning it. I don't care what diet you follow, you have to listen to your body.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:19

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

"........please advise them to go to their dr. and get their blood and electrolytes tested......"

Anyone, any "diet" any WOE, check your health first and periodically with your doctor! get a complete checkup, and do a complete series with bloodwork, you know Lipid panels, glucose, electrolites liver and kidney function.....

"......Or even advise them to take a potassium supplement....."

Ehhhh, I would advise the doctor first, and a good multivitamin first before potassium. Yes the diet may deplete potassium levels, but what if the person is diabetic and doesn't know it? Too much potassium can be bad too, am I correct in that?

"........I don't care what diet you follow, you have to listen to your body."

YES, you are correct!!! LOL!! Seriously, if something doesn't feel quite right, see your doctor.

Thanks for the heads up!
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:25

Stats: 361/285.0/240.0 Male 5'11"
BF:Shake Hands w/Beef
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissScruff
What happens when a diet isn't followed properly? Aren't we then at risk of medical consequences? Like Atkins...and dropping carbs to as close to zero as possible, which means dropping the veggies! Or staying on induction for way too long?

".......Like Atkins...and dropping carbs to as close to zero as possible.........."
Now see, this is something that has always worried me. Weight loss is only a part of the Atkins plan. The Lifestyle is a total plan for mind and body health and well being. If you read DANDR, Dr Atkins specifically adresses the issue of doing the diet as laid out and under a Doctor's watchful eye.

Modding any diet and not checking your health while doing so is verboten in my book. Risky business, that.

To date, the Atkins people and Dr. Atkins in his books have never found any reason to worry about staying on induction for long periods of time. But don't take my word for that, read it and decide for yourself.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:26
Faux-foods=Doh!Foods

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 216/180/154 Female 168cm
BF:
Progress: 58%

Is this what happened to Terri Shiavo?

e
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 21:53

Plan: Human Experimentation
Stats: 170/100/105 Female 4'10
BF:
Progress: 108%

Yeah that is what happened to her, she had eating disorderes and it was going to happen to me, but I went on the board here and read about the potassium and things like that. It helped me so much because I had no idea. I take potassium everyday! Of course, I mean, this might not be the whole issue with the person mentioned above. Electrolytes and potassium are extremely important.

But that really sucks and I know about Herbal Magic, I always make fun of it because it always seemed like such BS, and now I know to completely shun it when ever I walk by one of the shops.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Jul-07-05, 22:02

Stats: 135/127/123 Female 5'5-1/2"
BF:

I've not heard of this either. Maybe it's the next multi-level diet to reach us; thanks for the post.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Jul-08-05, 05:58

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Default I don't see the connection

What I'm not seeing in this thread is the direct connection between the diet itself and the potassium depletion. In the minimal information in the diet's website, vegetables are listed. Most vegetables contain potassium; that's where we get it. When we're low on almost anything, our bodies become super efficient at taking in what they need from what we eat. So what was the patient doing / eating / whatever to so seriously delete potassium, and then ignore the warning symptoms, that the stroke followed?

I live in the US South, without air conditioning, and sweat a lot. I lose potassium all day long. Believe me, the warning signals are not something I can ignore to the point of stroke.

Any severe vomiting or diarrhea will disrupt electrolyte levels, true. And then, with disrupted electrolytes, one becomes cloudy (at best) or flat-out confused, and may not recognize the problem. Does the diet recommend purging?