Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 16:10
Kitchen Experimenter

Plan: General LC Maintenance
Stats: 230/160/165 Male 70 inches
BF:way less now
Progress: 108%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjb2000
Kevin,
Are you saying they are selling liquid sucralose at Walmart? Wow. Ours doesn't even have the splenda quickpacks.

No Jackie, I was talking about the tablets that jude was saying her friend was going to send her. Our walmart just started carrying them a few weeks ago.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 17:27
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

I buy sweetzfree every time I have a little extra money. I fear at some point she'll be closed down and I want to have enough for me and my friends for a long time.

what I didn't see noted in the various measures above, is that 1 drop of liquid sucralose equals approximately 1.5 teaspoons of sweetener. The measures given were all for vastly bigger measures.

I use it in drinks, chocolate, and baking. However, I do notice that when I use it with chocolate, I usually end up using more of it than I would think would be needed based on my usual 4-1 ratio of sweetener-pure cocoa.

One thing I can say about the stuff, although it costs a lot, it lasts a long time, although it doesn't have the bulk of sugar, it sweetens just as well, I don't get any aftertaste with it, and word to the wise, if you over-sweeten with this stuff it is not like too much sugar, it's like drinking food coloring or something, bleagh. Err on the side of too little.
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 17:51

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%

Does anyone know of a formula or site I can go to figure out the amount of carbs in a slice of homemade bread? I make a particular red river cereal whole wheat bread for my family and would love to know if there is a time in the future that I will be able to incorporate it into my daily carb allowance but without knowing the carb count I have no idea. I would appreciate any help anyone has to offer...thanks
Leah
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:04
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
I buy sweetzfree every time I have a little extra money. I fear at some point she'll be closed down and I want to have enough for me and my friends for a long time.

You have little to worry about. There are hundreds if not thousands of chinese companies making and selling liquid sucralose to anybody who will buy it. I have a website somewhere that brokers deals over the internet for barrels of the stuff. Most of the stuff that does not display the "Splenda" Trademark I believe is coming from these sources and not Tate and Lyle. My understanding is Tate and Lyle only still have the patent for their process of making. Any Company can make it using their own recipe.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

And how much DEG (antifreeze) are they putting in it?
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:08
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Myplan on this site, fiday, mastercook and many others or you can calculate it yourself.

Add up the ingredients
i.e.
1c whole wheat flour = x carbs
2 L eggs - x carbs
etc.

Then add up the total carbs and subtract the fiber (if you do that) and then divide it by the number of servings a loaf makes. A more accurate approach would be to weigh the loaf and then instead of measuring by slices you can measure by weight.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:18

Plan: atkins
Stats: 261/209/170 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:more/much/little
Progress: 57%
Default Well duh

Ok, Now I feel really stupid. Why didn't I think of that! I will figure it out....thanks myjourney
Leah
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Jul-07-07, 18:25
Kitchen Experimenter

Here is that link. Three pages of companies looking to sell barrals of sucralose. And this is just 1 site where companies can buy the generic sucralose if they want.

Buy Sucralose.
  #69   ^
Old Sun, Jul-08-07, 12:46
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Jude they are selling these at the Super Walmart near me now. You might want to look on one of your trips.

Thanks, KP! I'll definitely have a look, though the Walmart I check out isn't a "super", it MAY have both the tablets and the quickpacks, so I can stock up a bit. I like to keep some of everything on hand, though I still have 8 fl oz of the original patented 25% solution concentrate, hope it keeps forever...

#70   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 00:33

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpa
Here is that link. Three pages of companies looking to sell barrals of sucralose. And this is just 1 site where companies can buy the generic sucralose if they want.

Buy Sucralose.

How do we know which one to buy? Sweetzfree and Pureliquidsweetener seem good but so expensive... what alternative would you suggest?
  #71   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 01:47
Kitchen Experimenter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAGirl
How do we know which one to buy? Sweetzfree and Pureliquidsweetener seem good but so expensive... what alternative would you suggest?
I have tried all 3 of the generic liquid sucraloses and the bottom line is they are all basically the same except for price. I buy Sweet Water when I buy it because at $45 for the 4 oz bottle and free shipping their price is the best. None can really claim theirs is any better than the other. I'm not sure why anybody would want to buy the same thing for more money. But thats just my opinion.
  #72   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-07, 02:00

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

Kevin,
Thank you very much for the quick and informative response.