Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#1   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 10:42
From Flab to Fab!

Plan: Fat Flush / SB
Stats: 300/225/185 Female 5ft 8"
BF:No Thanks
Progress: 65%
Default South Beach Babes~Welcome to the Beach!

WELCOME TO THE BEACH!

Ok, so this is a place for those of us who are brand new to south beach and need to share tips or get advice into what's the best way to do things!
Who's in with me??!
Veterans are of course welcome to share tips and come and join in too. I just wanted a place where people could chat about South Beach and find some friends to make the journey into it a little easier!!

Quote:
How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 1

The South Beach Diet™ is designed so that you can easily swap meals and ingredients. If you don't like eggs for breakfast, have low-fat cottage cheese or lean meat instead. Not a fish lover? Then choose lean beef or poultry. In Phase 1 of the diet, you can eat as many proteins and vegetables as you like, plus fats like olive oil. Fruit and starches aren't allowed until Phase 2. Here's a look at some general eating guidelines. For specific food choices, check out the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy & Avoid list.

BREAKFAST
Protein: Quantity is not limited.
Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.
Fruit: None
Starch: None
Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)
Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH
Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.
Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

SNACK
Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

DESSERT
Enjoy a Sweet Treat or any of the snack choices.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 2

In Phase 2, you'll gradually begin to reintroduce healthy starches and carbohydrates into your diet, starting with low-glycemic index ones like oatmeal and couscous, and eventually moving on to high-glycemic ones like fruits and whole-grain bread. The goal is to eat healthy carbs while continuing to lose weight, so pay attention to how they affect you. If your weight loss stalls or cravings return, cut back or try some different carbs and monitor the results. Here's a look at general eating guidelines. Want specific food choices? You can now eat anything from the Phase 1 Foods to Enjoy list as well as items from the Phase 2 Foods to Reintroduce list.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

LUNCH
Fruit: 1 fruit serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 3 total servings for the day.
Starch: 1 starch serving allowed daily (with this meal or other). Gradually increase to 2 or 3 total servings for the day.

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and dessert are optional. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES
Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

How to adapt your meal plan - Phase 3

By the time you reach Phase 3, you'll know which starches and carbs you can eat without gaining weight, so you'll have already integrated them into your diet. You'll be eating normal foods in normal-size portions, sticking to the good carbs and good fats. There's no list of forbidden foods in Phase 3, however. In other words, if you want it, and it doesn't undo all your sacrifices, you should go ahead and enjoy it! Here's a look at general eating guidelines.

If you'd like to adapt some of your meals to exclude meat, simply choose protein sources such as beans, soy products, lower fat cheese, eggs and egg substitutes, and eat vegetables and nuts for snacks. You can also choose to receive vegetarian-only meal plans, complete with shopping lists, by selecting "vegetarian" in the Profile area.

BREAKFAST
Fruit: 3 fruit servings allowed daily.
Starch: 3 to 4 starch servings allowed daily.

LUNCH

DINNER

SNACKS AND DESSERT
Snacks and desserts are optional: Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, artificially sweetened non-fat flavored yogurt, nuts/seeds, or a Sweet Treat.

BEVERAGES

Last edited by foxgluvs : Tue, May-24-05 at 10:02.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 11:06
From Flab to Fab!

For the record....I have been on atkins for 14 months (with a brief period where I dipped my toe into something else for a while) I lost fantastically well at the begining of atkins, I lost about 40lb in the first 6 months, and then only another 10 or so in the following 7 or 8 months. Just recently I had some personal stuff going on and ended up putting 5lb back on. After losing such a little amount for so long, I was totally devistated and anoyed with myself for being so stupid.
A few weeks of sillyness and I paid highly on the scale.

For fear of falling off of the wagon completely, I am going to try South Beach.

My start weight as of this morning is 251.5

Good luck to anyone who might want to join in sharing tips.
H xx
  #3   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 11:34

Plan: general lowcarb
Stats: 247/149/120 Female 5ft 3 in
BF:
Progress: 77%

What an AWESOME idea for "virgins" to SB. All I can say about S.B. right now is I LOVE IT!!!!!!! I'm on cloud nine right now. I have lost 11 pounds and I'm day 6 of phase 1!!!! I know its may only be water weight but its very encouraging to keep going on.I've also been doing a very strict induction to phase 1. I think because the only things that I've been using to flavor stuff are seasoning salt is helping alot. I havent been using any sauces of any sort-which is hard for me because I love oyster sauce on my stirfry.But it has sugar in it and thats a no-no for me right now I love eating dannon lowfat vanilla yogurt with splenda in it. To me it taste like cheesecake.YUMM!!!I'm still bad at drinking water! Anyways, I look forward to meeting everyone and Hazel this is too cool!!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 12:27

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

Hey there!!

I'm so happy you started this thread......I'm moving to the beach on Thursday since I need a couple of days to eat all the fattening stuff I still have on the fridge

I have this little book that I bought in January about the *good fats, good carbs* from Dr. A. It's really helpful since it's more based on the stuff we have here in Holland than on all the -yummy- stuff you have in the US
  #5   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 13:35

Plan: SBD
Stats: 159/147.6/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

Hi there!!

Thanks for posting this thread.
I'm on Day 8 and having a great time!! My energy came back w/a BANG yest-- hubbie was asking if I was sneaking my diet coke on the sly! LOL!

I see the change more in my clothes than on the scale? Is this very normal??
  #6   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:09

BF:

Inches, pounds..I'm all for it
  #7   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:19

Plan: My OWN general LC!
Stats: 146/141.5/115 Female 5ft4in
BF:not sure!
Progress: 15%
Default yeah! buddies!

I breifly read something about SB. and just started to add berries and nuts...and am so happy now!.... but i am going to go back and read it to make sure i do everything "right"
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:42
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Hi Girls!! Welcome to the Beach!!

Thanks Foxgluvs for starting this thread for all the newbies to this great food plan!!

I will pop in and make sure you are doing things right, you can be sure of that!!

FYI- I've been on SBD since 4/25/04 and have lost 93 lbs with 21 lbs to my first goal. Keys things that have helped me stay on plan are:
1- a huge committment on my part to get this right.
2-I enjoy eating fish and eat salmon twice a week.
3-I eat 5-6 times a day, meals and snacks.
4- I rarely have any grains and never eat any bars or low carb flour porducts as I will stall for sure.
5-No franken foods except for dreamfields pasta once every 2 weeks.

Good Luck to all of you and remember..."The only stupid question is the one that you don't ask!!"
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:45

Plan: My own combo
Stats: 147/135/132 Female 1.72cm (5'8'')
BF:no clue
Progress: 80%

Hey Judy....

Can you check -and try to answer- my question about fruit (new thread)???? I just thought about asking you after you made that comment about *stupid questions*
  #10   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 14:46

BF:

Thanks so much Judy for your tipsThey're much appreciated
  #11   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:10
From Flab to Fab!

JUDY!! I am so glad you're taking the time out to be here!! A BIG thank you for your input

Hey, I thought when it was quiet earlier that no one was going to turn up - and I come back tonight (tonight for me anyway) and see there are some takers!! I am really pleased to see you all.
Hopefully we can all take this journey together and it will make it more interesting!

If anyone wants to share menus that would be great. Or meal ideas if you come up with some good ones. Especially Pete, coz it seems like you're doing REALLY well, so I want to see what you're eating!!

I am so excited!!

What I had to eat for breakfast was such a relief after months and months of having to eat eggs and bacon in the morning! I had 50g guacamole, 50g humous with 100g celery...it was delicious, and actually very filling! I also had a yogurt.

I'm off to bed, but I think my day went well today!

How are you folks doing with your food?
  #12   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:20
From Flab to Fab!

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicurgrl

I see the change more in my clothes than on the scale? Is this very normal??

Yes, it is common to get more of a change on the scale, I remember when I first started atkins, I didn't lose a single lb for about 3 weeks (seriously) how I didn't give up I will never know, but the thing that made me carry on regardless was the fact that my tape went down by 4 inches on my waist in that time!!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:23
From Flab to Fab!

Carmen I replied to your thread about fruit too!! Too many natural sugars hon, that means far too many carbs....that'll be your problem
xx

G'night ladies...i'm off to bed (it's about 10.30pm here and i'm bushed!)
See you all in the morning!! Can't wait to see how we all do in a week or so!!

WE CAN DO THIS!!!!

#14   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:27

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 170/166.5/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hola - sorry it took me awhile to "check in," but work's been a little hectic and I suppose I should take care of that before coming here, eh?

Well, there certainly are a lot of us newbies here! Several of which crossed over from Atkins or other low carb plans. I hope to see every last one of you here in the weeks to come!

Since I'm in Phase I I'm still eating eggs for breakfast - but I use Egg Beaters (aka: egg whites with food coloring and thickener) most of the time to save a few cals, fat, etc. I still eat regular ol' eggs a few times a week, though. I try and add vegi's and light cheese to my eggs and I try and drink a 6-ounce V8 juice with it as well.

You can view my Day 1 and 2 meals by clicking on the link to My P.L.A.N. if you feel like snooping around. Todays menu may or may not change a little depending on what exactly goes into dinner/dessert (man am I glad I love ricotta cheese!).

Since I'm still VERY new to this, I'll refrain from giving any advice because I don't know how my weight will change, if at all, in the next 2 weeks. But when I see results I will certainly share! I will say - I try and workout 3-5 times a week and I suggest you all do the same, even if it's just a short, brisk walk outside. The results from exercise are amazing for not only your body, but your health.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:33

BF:

Hey Everyone,

here a phase one induction friendly sb dessert in case of emergencies . I havent tried it but I read many posts on it that said it was delish, but very addicting so to be careful.I'm doing a strict phase 1 induction and trying to follow it to a t but one day I did overdo it and ate 8 of those sugar free reeses. NEVER AGAIN!lol so I went looking on the internet for something that would be quick and easy if I ever got a "sweet tooth" and this is what I found on one of the SB forums. Let me know how it turns out when you try it

1/2 cup natural PB
1 egg
1 sf fudgesicle (melted in microwave 15 sec)

Mix all ingrediants well-until PB and egg are totally mixed.
Made about 8-10 cookies.
Scoop each onto a greased cookie sheet and bake ~ 350 for 10-15 minutes.
Closed Thread