Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 09:31

Plan: HF Atkins paleo
Stats: 230/144/150 Female 63 inches
BF:less/than/before
Progress: 108%
Default New to exercise, advice?

For anyone who has some exercise experience:

I did not exercise while losing my first 50 pounds. I've been stalled in the mid-160s since July, though.

Now, I've recently started working out. I play indoor soccer on an adult league for an hour once a week. I also do cardio on an eliptical (25 minutes, 2x per week). And I do weights 2x per week.

In the past two weeks, since establishing this workout plan, I've gained 10 pounds? I'm eating all the same foods, drinking extra water. And every morning when I weigh, the scale just goes up and up. This morning, i was at 175. I haven't weighed that much since May.

I don't know what is going on. I like the way I feel after exercising, and I don't want to stop. But is short term weight gain a side effect of working out? 10 pounds in 10 days?

Also, I work 60 hours per week and have three kdis, so my time is limited. I play soccer on weekends and then go to the Y on T and TH. I do my cardio first then upper body wights on T and cardio plus lower body weights on TH.

It seems like it isn't enough, but I don't know how to get more in, as I don't have a lot of time.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 10:22

Plan: lower carb
Stats: 333/199.8/172 Female 5'8"
BF:??/39.0/25
Progress: 83%

It is normal to gain a bit of weight when you first start resistance training as your body holds on to more water. 10 lbs seems a bit high, but I would recommend continuing on with it and see if it stabilizes. The benefits of resistance training far outweigh the increases on the scale. Also, you may want to start measuring inches as you will see changes there that may not be reflected in your scale weight.

I would recommend though, that you do the weight training first, then the cardio afterwards. You want to go with progressivily heavier weights on the resistance training and doing the cardio first drains you of some of your energy. Definitely switch those around.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 10:52

Thanks for the tip.

My dh says I should skip the cardio and just do an hour of resistance on T and TH. But I feel like I need cardio as well. And if I don't do it on T and TH, all I get is the one hour weekend soccer game.

I'll try switching it around though. I started doing lighter weights with 3 sets of 15 reps on each machine. But my dh told me I should up the weight, doing 3 sets of 8-10 reps instead. He told me that light weight with lots of reps is pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things (although stil better than being a couch potato).
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 13:03

Plan: UDS
Stats: 199/190/190 Male 69
BF:12%/11%/6%
Progress: 100%

That's most likely 10 lbs. +/- of muscle that you've sacrificed during the 50 lb loss. Your adding some of the muscle back to accommodate the increased activity. It's actually a very good thing. (This is a good reason why you don't try and lose weight by diet alone).

Your dh has given you some good advice on the reps/sets...
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 15:04

When you are losing fat, it is much better to lift heavy with lower reps. Your body needs to have a reason to hang onto the muscle, otherwise it will let go of it. Your hubby sounds like he knows what he is talking about! One of the things I do is look at other folks gym logs to see what they are doing. It really helps to get a feel for how other women train.

kb, it is my understanding that women don't put on muscle that quickly. I know that women who are new to lifting can initially add a bit, but I doubt that she has gained 10 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks, especially with the higher reps/lighter weights.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 15:41

New muscle, I would agree. Regarding this thread though, I don't believe that is the case. I think it's most likely her body returning back to its normal state.

This is just my opinion.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 16:19
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Hi FAduckeggs!
I don't know why you gained 10 pounds, but IMO, your DH's advice to skip the cardio and focus on the resistance at higher intensity, is sound.

Quote:
Men's Fitness, August, 2005 by Bill Hartman
True or false: Losing fat is 90% diet and 10% training.

False. That's actually the formula for losing weight-a very different goal.

I'll explain. Most trainers will tell you that your diet is the most important factor in your pursuit of a fat-free body. After all, you can eat 1,000 calories (think two Snickers and a Big Gulp) a lot faster than you can burn them. But that's still only half the equation. Simply cutting calories without exercising--or worse, doing the wrong type of exercise--doesn't just burn fat. It burns fat and muscle. So you'll weigh less, but your body will be weak and soft in stead of lean and hard.
The fact is, the way you train is every bit as important for fat loss as the way you eat. Unfortunately, when most people think of exercising to lose weight, they think of aerobic activities such as jogging or cycling. And while both burn lots of calories (which is important if you have trouble sticking to a diet), when it comes to burning pure fat, aerobic exercise is about as overrated as Lindsay Lohan's acting. Here's why:

* Your body adapts to cardio. Meaning, the more you do it, the more efficient your body becomes at burning fat for fuel, causing you to burn fewer calories from your fat stores each time you exercise.

* It takes longer. Because your body adapts to aerobic activity, your workouts have to last increasingly longer in order to provide the same calorie burn. This not only increases the amount of time you have to spend in the gym but also increases the odds that your body may start breaking down muscle instead of fat for fuel.

* The benefits are temporary. Aerobic activity doesn't increase the amount of fat you burn after your workout. Your metabolism returns to normal shortly after stepping off the treadmill.

THE WORLD'S MOST EFFECTIVE WAY TO LOSE YOUR LARD

At this point, it should come as no surprise that hitting the weights is the best way to get rid of unwanted fat. The trick, though, is knowing exactly how to train to accelerate the rate at which your body burns fat, without sacrificing any of your hard-earned muscle. The first step: Forget about training individual body parts. Instead of doing arm and shoulder days, think of your body as a single unit and try to work as many muscles as possible each session.

Studies show that the more muscle you stimulate in a workout, the greater the boost to your metabolism for the next 24-48 hours (a process known as "afterburn"). That means your body burns fat at an increased rate long after your workout is over-while you're driving to work, watching TV, or even sleeping.

OK, so you ready to start lifting? Aim for three full-body workouts per week, resting a day between each. (Because you're working your entire body each session, you'll want to avoid lifting on back-to-back days, in order to give your muscles time to recover for your next workout.) Here are the four essential rules you must follow to ensure you get the most out of your muscles--and your fat-loss workout--every time you set foot in the gym:

1 Use free weights. Machines are designed to target individual muscle groups. This actually reduces the total amount of muscle involved in moving the weight. For instance, a leg-extension machine works one major muscle group: the quadriceps (and maybe your jaw if you grind your teeth hard enough). A free-weight squat, however, hits more than 250 muscles.

2 Stay on your feet (whenever possible). Nothing shuts off muscle like sitting or lying down. For example, a standing curl is generally better than a seated curl because your back, hip, leg, and even big-toe muscles have to work just to keep you standing.

3 Do compound exercises. Always opt for exercises that force you to move at more than one joint--the squat (hip and knee joints), bench press (shoulder and elbow joints), and rows (shoulder and elbow joints) are all excellent examples. These "big" lifts require a tremendous amount of energy, stimulating the release of muscle-building and fat-burning hormones and accelerating your results.

4 Go heavy. Conventional wisdom used to suggest that high-rep, light-weight workouts were the best way to lose fat and increase muscle definition. But in reality, low-rep, heavy-weight workouts burn more calories. More important, they also work more muscles, increasing your "afterburn" once you leave the gym. (Low-rep, heavy-weight workouts also have a much greater protective effect on your muscle, preventing it from being used for energy and ensuring that your weight loss comes purely from fat.)

The bottom line when lifting to lose fat: Stick to 5-12 reps, using the heaviest weight that allows you to complete each rep with good form. Perform 3-5 sets of 4-6 exercises per workout. (If you do four exercises, do more sets per exercise; if you do six exercises, perform fewer sets.)
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Nov-16-07, 20:18

Okay, I'm going to give this a try for a couple of weeks. Sounds good to me.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 07:15

Update:

I am still at 175, a full ten pounds up. I think that kbfunTH's theory is sounding about right. My eating has NOT changed in the past two weeks. The only change is some pretty rigorous exercise.

Also, when I was in school and younger, I was a pretty competitive athlete. (I traveled Europe on a field hockey team, plus I played indoor hockey, volleyball and softball and ran track competitively.) I had a very muscular lower body, especially. Well, dh and I both noticed last night that my legs and thighs have suddenly really picked up a lot of definition. It's like muscle has just re-appeared, almost overnight.

I've heard that former athletes can re-gain muscle quickly when they start working out again. I've just never thought of myself in that category.

But even though I am up ten pounds, my clothes are looser today that they were two weeks ago, my body feels better, and I feel much stronger.

I still have plenty of extra body fat to lose, but I'm hoping that once my body gets used to exercising again, the fat will start to go away again.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Nov-17-07, 21:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
Update:
I still have plenty of extra body fat to lose, but I'm hoping that once my body gets used to exercising again, the fat will start to go away again.

Keep it up and it will!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Nov-18-07, 07:22

Oh, good! Glad to hear this for you. And thanks for coming back and sharing it with us. I'll know more now for next time!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 06:06
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Quote:
My eating has NOT changed in the past two weeks. The only change is some pretty rigorous exercise.
Are you sure? I mean, really sure? Do you track your calories? I noticed you haven't used the MyPLAN tracker recently, but maybe you're using something else, like FitDay. The reason I'm asking is that sometimes exercise causes our appetites to increase and we do eat more without realizing it, unless we're carefully weighing and measuring the food.

10# of water weight gained though is not too far from the norm, esp. if your TOM is approaching. If your eats truly haven't changed, then the water retention due to muscle inflammation of a new resistance program will eventually settle down and you will see the scale move again.

Quote:
I've heard that former athletes can re-gain muscle quickly when they start working out again. I've just never thought of myself in that category.
Yup. "Muscle memory". Holds true for all of us.

Quote:
But even though I am up ten pounds, my clothes are looser today that they were two weeks ago, my body feels better, and I feel much stronger.
This is the most important bit!
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-19-07, 08:06

I played soccer again last night, and it was soo much fun. But I was ravenous after. I ate more than I have eaten in ages. Mostly LC (oaky, I did eat a bananaand 1/2 a roll), but also a lot of food. Usually I'm not hungry after exercise, but I was famished last night for some reason.

The only time I enter foods into MY PLAN is when I've started eating something new or changed what I'm eating. I do it as a way to check up on things a bit.

I tend to eat the exact same thing for breakfast, lunch and dinner on many days. I order an egg mcmuffin with no muffin from McDonalds most mornings for breakfast. Then I have either rotissery chicken with a side of cauliflower and blue cheese dressing (from the bagel place downstairs) or I get a salad with grilled salmon on top from NM for lunch every day.

Dinner is typically a pan fried piece of meat of some sort and a small salad of tomato, avocado and bell pepper with oil and vinegar. Weekdays, I eat the same things all week.

My weight seems to be inching back down. It was 172 on Sunday and right at 170 this morning, even with me eating us out of house and home last night.
  #14   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 15:25

Happy to report I am still exercising. I've been upping the weights significantly, to make it basically the hardest workout that I can do.

I haven't stepped on the scale recently. I'm trying to just make LC and exercise a permanent lifestyle, not just a weight-loss tool. So, I'm just going to do it, and if I lose, I won't even know unless my clothes get loose.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-07, 23:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by faduckeggs
Happy to report I am still exercising. I've been upping the weights significantly, to make it basically the hardest workout that I can do.

I haven't stepped on the scale recently. I'm trying to just make LC and exercise a permanent lifestyle, not just a weight-loss tool. So, I'm just going to do it, and if I lose, I won't even know unless my clothes get loose.

Good attitude!