Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 07:35

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default CNN Saturday Morning House calls - Atkins Diet Debate- Right Now

Just wanted to let folks know that CNN Saturday morning presently has a debate and phone in on the Atkins diet along with two nutritionists--- One representing Atkins diet and of course one who does not...B

Last edited by Bonnie : Sat, Feb-01-03 at 07:41.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 171/135/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 116%
Default RE: House Calls

I have linked to CNN Health where you will see a small headline under the House Calls Section...no transcript of what transpired as yet but Reader's Digest version was typical where the anti-Atkins nutritionist held up a California strawberry stating this should be included in the Atkins Diet where the rep from Atkins really set her straight in the fact that strawberries and other LC fruits and veggies were allowed after induction...all in all felt a good show ... the commentators kept dwelling upon the fact of the reports from Atkins followers of rapid weight loss most folks were experiencing and thought "too much weight loss in short time period was unhealthy"...B

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/

Last edited by Bonnie : Sat, Feb-01-03 at 08:21.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 08:35
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

I'm surprised by the new directions the Atkins folks are trying to set, why are they now afraid to say red meat is good? The Atkins rep was talking in circles, when the issue of red meat came up, stating that red meat is only eaten in the first two weeks, then you should just fish and chicken?!?! She didn't say it exactly like that, but that's how it sounded.

I'll be getting the new "Atkins for Life" to see what's the point from all that red meat phobia.

Did anyone else get this impression?

I agree it was a good debate overall, but this red meat thing was realy disappointing.

Wa'il
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:21

Plan: Schwarzbein Principle
Stats: 195/176/125
BF:too much
Progress: 27%
Default Same thing in Schwarzbein II

She sort of backs off of some of what she says in the first one.
Frankly I like the first one best, and with what I read online The paranoia is bugging me too

I just do what feels good.. and getting in red meat regularily is part of that.
AND eating that skin on poultry!
Nedra
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Feb-01-03, 16:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 249/194/145 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 53%

I wanted to smack that anti-Atkins lady with her carrot LOL.
She said that we should be getting our vitamins from whole foods and then she said there was nothing wrong with slimfast as a diet HUH???? Talk about confusing. I think the red meat thing was about saturated fat. Actually I think they were just looking for a good saturday go round - at least that's what the anti Atkin's lady wanted ; > )

Erika
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-03, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 174/163/163 Male 5 feet 7 inches
BF:21.1%/18.5%/18.5%
Progress: 100%

Re the Atkins's lady's comment about red meat: Remember she was responding to a caller who wondered if someone who does not like red meat can still do Atkins. She said yes. This then got turned into "Atkins backs away from red meat," which the Atkins defender sort of encouraged. It was frustrating to watch it. I'm sure someone who dislikes red meat can do Atkins, but that is not the same as saying that Atkins has backed away from him endorsement of red meat.

Sheldon