Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-24, 11:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sorry my mistake. Wegovy, Ozempic and Zepbound are all the same in my mind now, since the ads, with compounded versions, are for all three. On-line sellers probably aren’t too worried about which version they sell to whom.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Mon, Feb-05-24, 15:25

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sorry my mistake. Wegovy, Ozempic and Zepbound are all the same in my mind now, since the ads, with compounded versions, are for all three. On-line sellers probably aren’t too worried about which version they sell to whom.

That's ok, I fully understand how it all just runs together.

You're right that Wegovy and Ozempic are the same thing, the dosages are just set up differently for WL and T2. Zepbound (Mounjaro) has a little something extra in it that Wegovy/Ozempic doesn't have, but still with the with dosages being set depending on whether it's prescribed for T2 or WL.

If what you're seeing is mostly the online sellers and not legit Novo Nordisk ads (Keep in mind that shady sellers will have zero concerns about using the name and logo of a legit company), chances are what's being sold is not the real thing. I know you've talked about "compounded" versions, but I'm sure you also know that unscrupulous scammers are just out to make a buck any way they can - they could sell you vials of plain tap water and claim it was one of those drugs (at a bargain price!), they wouldn't care which version they're supposedly selling you or whether you want it for diabetes or for weight loss.

And since they don't care what it is they're actually selling you or why, they don't care who they sell it to either - adults, children, senior citizens (who can't get WL drugs on medicare), anorexics who obviously don't qualify for a legitimate Rx for it, but are looking for a way to cut their calorie intake even more, someone who has decided that if it works for humans, lets give it to the overweight dog or cat to help them lose weight... I can imagine all kinds of situations where someone would be gullible enough to buy it from a shady online source.

The same sort of thing happened when Homeopathic HCG was taken off the market (because it did not meet the Homeopathic Pharmacology guidelines for homeopathic products). Within weeks there were all these online "physicians" who would prescribe injectable HCG after about a 2 minute online interview. Whether they sent the person the real thing or not didn't matter - the ones they were selling it to were willing to pay for it.

The diet industry has always been big business - and there's a scammer ready and willing to sell it to the gullible.

____

But back to actual doctors prescribing the legit stuff for children, I really think it's a matter of desperation.

There's so many obese kids, and these kids are developing serious obesity related medical conditions - T2 is especially disconcerting since it's something they never saw happen in previous generations.These kids need to lose weight. They need to get their blood sugar under control. They desperately need to get their appetites under control.

And of course they're not educating them about what constitutes a diet that will truly lower your blood sugar and help you lose weight - not that most kids would be likely to adhere to a truly LC diet anyway. And unfortunately most parents would be willing to make too many exceptions to that LC diet, or consider it just too difficult to deal with preparing LC meals or limiting what their kid eats, when it's so much easier to just give them a pop tart for breakfast, send Lunchables to school, and pick up nuggets and fries for dinner.

So they're back to the drug route to help the kids lose weight.
  #123   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-24, 04:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
But back to actual doctors prescribing the legit stuff for children, I really think it's a matter of desperation.

I agree. They can't fix the real problem, which is the food. But the medical associations are letting us down. Only individual doctors are demanding change, and I now see an acceptance that carbs are the problem spreading through most places in America.

That's why Atkins works, but "you have to stay on it." Yes, people who gained it back and tell me that. My good example might be a reminder, but not enough of a motivator.

Yet, if they sat where I am, they would change overnight.
  #124   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-24, 08:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Novo Nordisk is fixing the supply issue by buying a contract drug manufacturer, Catalent for a cool $16.5 Billion. Guess they are not worried about a decline in sales anytime soon.
Back to my ads ReflexMD fixes the whole pesky name problem by just advertising three words. Semaglutide. Delivered Overnight.
What else do you need to know?
  #125   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-24, 10:21

BF:

Quote:
Novo Nordisk is fixing the supply issue by buying a contract drug manufacturer, Catalent for a cool $16.5 Billion. Guess they are not worried about a decline in sales anytime soon.
Back to my ads ReflexMD fixes the whole pesky name problem by just advertising three words. Semaglutide. Delivered Overnight.
What else do you need to know?

They've made so much money off of it already that it's just an investment. Like any other company, it's simply considered to be a good business practice to have the ability to produce enough supply of your product to meet demand.

And for the time being they need to meet the demand for their drugs one way or another, whether it's building a new facility (the demand is currently very high - building takes too long) or buying facilities from a contract manufacturer. They've chosen to find a way to meet the demand themselves. By manufacturing it yourself, you have more quality control too.

Even once there are enough bad side effects associated with the semaglutide drugs that the public starts shying away from using them, there's always something else new in development. When that happens they'll already have the pipeline in place to produce it. If the next 10 or 20 drugs they come up with don't take off like the semaglutide drugs have done, they can still set up contracts with other drug companies to use those facilities to manufacture drugs for other drug companies.

It's a win-win for them.

I suspect we've only just begun to see the sheer number of places online that will sell compounded stuff that they claim to be semaglutide with that sort of overnight delivery advertising.
  #126   ^
Old Sun, Feb-18-24, 14:08

BF:

Quote:
Calianna, the Ro Body Plan is back in my Twitter feed, inserted about every 8 posts, but at least they are not showing me ED meds.

~snip~

There's an article on Business Insider about Ro - it's behind a paywall though, and I don't care to subscribe to it:

Ro, the $7 billion healthcare startup, has a high-stakes strategy to take off-brand Ozempic mainstream

Anyhow there's a link in case anyone here is interested in it, and doesn't mind getting a trial subscription to read it.