Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > South Beach Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 01:26

Plan: Dr. Eric Westman's/Atkins
Stats: 150/148/132 Female 5'-4"
BF:
Progress: 11%
Talking Atkins stats vs. SB stats

I just looked at my stats on here from last year. On Feb. 15th, 2009 I had lost four pounds total on Atkins six weeks into the plan (and was definitely whining!)

Of course, I found out in May of 09 that I had a thyroid problem and was put on meds. In June of last year, I gave up on trying to reduce and decided I would wait, take a break from the cycle of viscious frustration and start a reduction plan after the meds were in my system and I was mentally ready again.

Jan 1st, I started South Beach. Today, I have lost a total of 6 pounds, less than two weeks into the plan. I never would have believed I would have had results like this! I only have 12 more to go now!

Of course, I wonder whether it's the medication, or the change in the food plan that has made such a difference or probably the combination! Whatever it is, I am happy about it and plan to stick to both. Plus, I have added cycling to my workout regimen when I have never cycled for exercise before. I think this is part of the weight loss equation also - though some would disagree (if they totally believe Gary Taubes book Good Calories Bad Calories.) I read it and didn't find a lot of information in there for retired athletes......(though it could have been there....it was too boring to read it all at once so I have poor recall!)

Special thanks to Judy whose advice has really helped me! I also looked back at our conversations when I wasn't losing and of course, you were right! For some people, calories do indeed count. For people that are die hard GCBC, my advice is not to take that as some sort of holy grail....if you aren't losing, that is a fact, so try something else - LIKE SOUTH BEACH!
Interestingly, I also have learned that people that are hypothyroid do better on a modified carb rather than a very low carb diet.

Finally, I would like to hear Judy's view on saturated fat though. Please, when you get a chance, let me know about this as I am reading the book right now. (link would be good to something you wrote in the past maybe!) It's the one and only area of SB I am really unsure of. Again, confusion on my part because of well meaning advice from the VLC'ers.

Thanks in advance and I hope this post helps others that are making the switch!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-14-10, 11:17
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Great post and fabulous results Angie!!
I'm really happy for you.
I happen to think that you've got sveral aspects to your success this time...one of which was listening to me.
Got the rights meds, switching up your exercise, paying attention to total calories....and stop counting carbs!! all are pieces of this puzzle.

How do I feel about sat fat? If there is one kind of fat where I look to cut back on its sat fat....I do not see any reason to cut back on the other fats other than to keep a control of their % to my totals...so I practice portion control on nuts, seeds, olives, avocados, evoo...but I eat them all daily.
I have 1 mug of coffee daily so I allow myself to use 1 tbs of real H&H. I also now use whipped butter, just a little on my Ezekiel. I decided that I didn't want to use margarines/spreads....personal choice.
I hate reduced fat cottage cheese so I do use full fat....but sour cream tastes the same to me reduced fat so I use that. I do eat reduced fat jarlsberg and cheddars....they taste the same to me.
When I use mayo, I use full fat and they use HFCS in the reduced fat kind. I was able to find the Hellmans made with evoo.

These are all personal choices that I've made since being in maintenance...I do not recommend that newbies do as I do now though. I didn't do these things when I was in weight loss mode.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 17:45

BF:

The saturated fat will be the part of SB I will eventually modify as I do believe they are a good thing. Like you said though, in weight loss mode, you have to do things a certain way. I think I will switch back to full fat on some of these things and then cut back on protein a little.

Last edited by aeroangie : Sun, Jan-17-10 at 19:47.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-10, 17:51
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroangie
Thhe saturated fat will be the part of SB I will eventually modify as I do believe they are a good thing. Like you said though, in weight loss mode, you have to do things a certain way. I think I will switch back to full fat on some of these things and then cut back on protein a little.

You'll find what works best for your body Angie....I see nothing wrong with a bit more sat fat than the plan allows.

I just do not agree with eating heavily fatted meats all the time, drinking cream....eating butter as a snack....you get my drift.

There are many ways to get good fats and it doesn't need to all be from sat fats.,....mufas are great!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 16:22

Plan: DSP
Stats: 232/197/150 Female 5'2"
BF:lots of it
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
....mufas are great!
What's a mufa?
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 17:15
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee4LC
What's a mufa?

Good question!
Here ya go:
http://www.answerfitness.com/215/wh...ufas-mufa-diet/

Quote:
What Are MUFAs? | Ask the Fitness Nerd
November 9, 2008 on 10:46 am | By Matt | In Ask The Fitness Nerd | What’s a MUFA? The Fitness Nerd explains what this funny acronym means and why MUFAs are suddenly the rage among dieters.
Dear Fitness Nerd:

What are MUFAs? I keep hearing people talk about them, but I still haven’t quite figured out what they are. I know they are a type of fat, but I thought fats were unhealthy and should be avoided. Are they a supplement of some type like CLA? - Kayla R, (West Hollywood, CA)

MUFAs are an acronym for a “monounsaturated fatty acids” — a class of healthy fats found in foods like nuts and seeds, avocados, olives and certain vegetable oils. MUFAs are not typically taken as a supplement (as Conjugated linoleic acid or CLA often is), since they are plentiful in foods.

MUFAs have gotten a lot of attention recently for three reasons:

1. MUFAs may help you lose weight.
There is some evidence that people who regularly consume MUFAs have lower body fat levels and are more successful at dropping body fat and weight than people who are on low-fat, carbohydrate rich diets.

This research flies in the face of the conventional-wisdom that drove the low-fat craze of the 80s and 90s, which advised people to reduce their fat consumption as much as possible in order to lose weight, lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of stroke, high-blood pressure and heart disease. The latest research actually suggests that diets which are higher in healthy fats like MUFAs may be more effective at weight-control than low-fat diets.

2. MUFAs may reduce the risk of disease.
A growing body of research shows that MUFAs may not only help people lose fat, but that they also have protective properties that may lower the risk of developing certain diseases, including Type II Diabetes, heart disease, stroke and possibly certain types of cancers. MUFAs are also part of The Portfolio Diet, which is an approach to eating that combines MUFAs with other cholesterol-lowering foods like soy, plant sterols and soluble fiber from things like oatmeal and may reduce blood cholesterol-levels as effectively as prescription statin drugs.

3. The “MUFA” Diet
MUFAs play a central role in the popular “Flat Belly Diet” (also known as the ”MUFA Diet”) which promises to reduce belly fat (and flatten your abs) through diet alone.

The mantra of the Flat Belly Diet is “A MUFA at every meal.” The Flat Belly Diet uses a list of five MUFA rich foods and recommends that you try to include at least one of these MUFAs into each of your four daily meals. Without getting into the particulars of the Flat Belly Diet or whether it is effective here, this diet has focused attention on MUFAs by their inclusion.

MUFA Foods List
So what exactly are the foods that contain high-levels of MUFAs? They include:

◦Nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans, hazelnuts/filberts, Brazil nuts, pistachios, Macadamia nuts
◦Peanuts
◦Peanut Butter
◦Almond Butter
◦Soy Nut Butter
◦Soy Nuts/Soy Beans
◦Avocados
◦Avocado Oil
◦Olives
◦Olive Oil
◦Sunflower Seeds
◦Sunflower Oil
◦Canola Oil
◦Sesame Seeds
◦Sesame Seed Oil
◦Tea Seed Oil/Tea Oil
How Much MUFA Should You Eat?
There are no recommended guidelines for how much monounsaturated fat you should eat daily, only guidelines around total fat as a percentage of your daily calories. The USDA recommends that people keep saturated fat consumption to a minimum, preferably under 20 grams. However, the UDSA does not have an official recommendation around how much polyunsaturated (PUFAs) or MUFAs to consume.

Potential Health Risks of MUFAs
Overall, the benefits of MUFA consumption seem to outweigh the risks. However, there may be some health risks associated with moderate to high consumption of MUFAs, although much of the research is conflicting.

First, there is some clinical research that shows monounsaturated fats may contribute to insulin resistance in a similar fashion to saturated fats. However, a large-scale study published in the March 2001 edition of the journal Diabetologia found that MUFAs had no impact on insulin resistance, and indeed, those subjects eating the high-MUFA diets saw a reduction in LDL cholesterol (the “bad” form of cholesterol.)

Another study published in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute found a correlation between breast cancer in post-menopausal women and high MUFA and oleic acid consumption.

However, even the study’s authors warn against concluding that the MUFAs alone are the cause of this increased risk of breast cancer. The studies authors points out that the risk might actually be the result of not balancing the MUFAs with PUFAs (polyunsaturated fatty acids) in the form of Linolenic acid. They also hypothesize that other dietary or hormonal factors may be at the root of this increase.

MUFA Foods: Smart, But Not A Silver Bullet
At the end of the day, MUFA consumption should follow the same guidelines that we always use when discussing diet and nutrition: eat clean, consume a variety of foods and choose a combination of MUFAs and PUFAs for the best overall health benefits. There are no “magic diet” foods, even though some foods may have health and fat-loss advantages.

That said, including more MUFAs in your diet can help you feel more satisfied after eating (which is one of the reasons the Flat Belly Diet includes them at each meal) and foods that are high in MUFAs also tend to be high in other healthy compounds and nutrients like antioxidants, Omega 3 fatty acids and vitamins and minerals. So while there is no guarantee they will help you lose weight, they are certainly part of a healthy diet.

One final thing to consider: MUFAs are fats, and thus are calorie-dense compared to other macro-nutrients like carbohydrates and protein. So you’ll want to monitor how your body responds to MUFAs in terms of weight gain. It’s very easy to consume hundreds of calories in fats by eating a very small overall volume of food. Some people have no issues with the extra calories from dietary fats, while others can experience fat gain.

Remember, at the end of the day, it’s the amount of calories you eat that ultimately results in fat gain or loss.

Yes, I think that this guy covers it well. Hope you now know what it is.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-10, 21:28

BF:

I like the article above except I don't believe anything the USDA says anymore, so their recommendations are useless. I guess you are right in that we need to find what works for our body and to try to include some of all the fats. I came across this yesterday about saturated fat and found it interesting. Makes me wonder when is the USDA going to admit they have been promoting lowfat BS science and they are totally wrong. I hope I live long enough to see it. I get tried of defending low or even now a "moderate" carb way of eating.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 09:21
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
I like the article above except I don't believe anything the USDA says anymore, so their recommendations are useless. I guess you are right in that we need to find what works for our body and to try to include some of all the fats. I came across this yesterday about saturated fat and found it interesting. Makes me wonder when is the USDA going to admit they have been promoting lowfat BS science and they are totally wrong. I hope I live long enough to see it. I get tried of defending low or even now a "moderate" carb way of eating.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20071648

I hope I live long enough to see it too.
Why are you defending the way you are eating? It really is nobody's business how you eat.
How about you just say that you no longer allow sugar and processed starches into your food?
People don't ask me any longer....which I'm happy about. They just want to bitch to me about why they think that can't lose weight and have come to realize that I will get on my soapbox and lecture them.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 11:02

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

Last edited by BMarieB : Tue, Jan-19-10 at 15:58.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:38

BF:

Funny Judy....people are just always so interested in the way I eat for some reason. Probably has to do with me having been a fitness trainer for so long, so I get a lot of questions anyway.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 15:59
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Funny Judy....people are just always so interested in the way I eat for some reason. Probably has to do with me having been a fitness trainer for so long, so I get a lot of questions anyway.

probably so Angie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie
you put a frickin burger in a fat person's (myself pre-sbd) face they will eat the whole damn thing.

why only a fat person?
There is absolutely nothing wrong with the whole burger....minus the bun and the fries!!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 16:21

Plan: South Beachy/ My Plan
Stats: 206/159.0/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 77%

LoL, I took it off thinking it may sound insensitive... but I was calling my-previous-self fat... and I'm not offended.

It'd be even better if it were a chicken or turkey burger!
OOOOO and homemade sweet potato fries! Maybe dipped in a greek yogurt, mustard dip type deal! Ok, I'm getting hungry, I'll stop now
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-10, 16:48
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMarieB
LoL, I took it off thinking it may sound insensitive... but I was calling my-previous-self fat... and I'm not offended.

It'd be even better if it were a chicken or turkey burger!
OOOOO and homemade sweet potato fries! Maybe dipped in a greek yogurt, mustard dip type deal! Ok, I'm getting hungry, I'll stop now

you are a funny girl today marie!!