Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:20
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%
Default Fainting

I have been on Atkins for 3 weeks. Lost 10lb so far but last night passed out twice and vomited. My story is complicated because I had sinus surgery last week and had been sitting in a warm but not hot Jaccuzzi as this helps with the breathing problems. Today, I feel shaky and scared! I had an EKG last week and that was normal and so were blood work and blood pressure. Could this be a potassium/mg/calcuim problem. Liquids OK. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 15:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Exclamation

hi Vonnovich,

Sounds like dehydration to me. I know you mentioned your liquid intake is "fine", but that's not enough. What does your liquid intake consist of? Caffeine is diuretic, and will make you lose fluid; even decaf. contains theobromines and other compounds, and tea has tannins, which are diuretic. Diet sodas contain sodium phosphate, sodium citrate and/or sodium bicarbonate. While we may think of sodium as causing the body to retain fluid, it does so in the tissues, not circulating in the bloodstream.

Your blood pressure may have been fine last week at the hospital/clinic .. but a lot has changed since then to cause fluid shifts in the body. It only takes a few hours for circulating fluid levels to become depleted. The body will compensate at first by constricting blood vessels in the extremities in order to conserve blood flow to the brain and vital organs (people who are mildly dehydrated will often complain of feeling chilly or cold). When you get in that jacuzzi, even though it's not blazing hot, it's still enough to make the blood vessels close to the surface of your skin, and in your arms and legs dilate. The blood will be diverted from the brain and vital organs in order to fill up these suddenly dilated blood vessels .... result = faintness, nausea.

Do you get in the jacuzzi after a meal?? Studies have shown that after we eat a meal, as much as 30% of circulating blood flow is diverted to the intestines during digestion. If you get into a hot tub, once again the dilated blood vessels in the skin, arms and legs will divert the circulation away from the digestive tract. Result = nausea, vomiting.

Low potassium levels can cause muscle weakness, fatigue, tiredness and headaches. However, you MUST be adequately hydrated first. Adding extra potassium when the system is low in fluids can cause more problems. So drink up! And avoid diuretic substances such as caffeine and diet drinks for now.

Another thought that came to mind is hypoglycemia. Are you eating enough protein and are you eating frequently? Are you having snacks? A lot of people make the mistake of cutting the carbs out of the diet, but then don't compensate by increasing the protein and FAT. Meal skipping and going long stretches without eating some protein is not helpful, and can make the blood sugar drop way too low. Nausea, vomiting, and the shakes are symptoms of hypoglycemia. Try eating smaller meals more frequently, and make sure to have some protein with every meal and snack. Doesn't have to be huge, just an ounce of cheese, a slice of roast meat or a hard-boiled egg is perfect.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Doreen
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 16:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%
Default Fainting Continued

Hi Doreen

Thanks for the speedy reply. I saw the ENT doctor who was not worried about the fainting. Just put it down to a drop in blood pressure but suggested Gatorade to correct any electrolyte imbalances and says I need more carbohydrate to help the body "get rid of ketones".

Dehydration - I had 3 cup of weak coffee, 3 cups of herbal tea, 5 glasses of warm plain water and one no cal fruit drink that has Sucralose.

Food - I had eggs, bacon, steak, ham, cream cheese, chicken leg and spinach. Apart from breakfast the other portions where all small but spread out over the day. And no food for at least 2 hours before getting in hot tub.

I will take your advice, and get at least 8 glasses of water down and stay out of the hot tub for a week or two.

Thanks for being there.