Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-02, 22:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%
Unhappy Sciatica and Exercise

I hope that someone that has sciatica can share what they do when theirs starts to act up. I seem to have a really bad bout with it twice a year, once in the winter and once in the summer. Not sure if it has something to do with the weather change or not..

I have been going to the gym daily, took today off because my hip was bothering me a little. It started off like my butt cheek (for lack of a better word) was sore, and now I can feel it radiating up a little.. which is the starting sign for my sciatica to flair up.

My question is should I stay home and not exercise or should I go and do my workout? or what could I do, bike, treadmill, elipictal.. thanks so much

Tawnya, who is off to take some antinflamitorys to see if it will go away...
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 10:29

Stats: 285/252/180 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 31%

Hi Tawnya...

I have just been diagnosed with possibly having sciatia... bummer... I am going to a Chiropractor next week for evaluation.. etc.. I will ask him what he suggests...

I let you know the scoop..

Ramona
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 11:52

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Sciatica

Hi,

This will cost you some $$, but I suggest that 1st, see your Dr, then go to a physiotherapist. They use different pieces of equipment to bring relief AND they can start you on exercises best suited to your symptoms.

My story:

2001 was the year of the worst sciatica of my life; lower back pain began in Feb, numb & tingly toes in May; got chiro treatments in June, which aggravated the condition & pushed it into acute pain. It was a herniated lumbar disc - you don't want to go there.
I couldn't sit, sometimes even standing was too painful. Horizontal was the only pain-free position for me. 3 months off work, returned to work 4 hrs Mon, Wed & Fri. and slowly increased to full time in Dec.

There were several diagnoses along the way with different treatments. In no way do I blame the chiropractor, the condition was already there b4 I saw him, but I'm not ready to get chiro treatments yet - cautious, that's what I am. For 18 yrs I've had monthly chiro sessions and now none since June 01! Hehe, guess I'm wary .

Anti-inflammatories & physio are what helped me the most. The physio used various machines to reduce inflammation plus traction, traction, traction and more traction. In 6 months I had 35 physio treatments. I realize my case was *likely* LOL to be more severe than what you are describing, but I didn't take care of myself when I should have. I guess I was so used to LB pain that living with pain was normal

Bottom line: we are not medical professionals here, everyone is different and you need professional care, even as to advising exercises. If you don't feel you need a physiotherapist, then you need a trainer in a gym (you know, someone with all the physiology and kinesiology courses under their belt).

Good luck, I hope you feel better soon.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 12:47

Stats: 188.5/182/168
BF:
Progress: 32%

Ramona, I hope that they can figure out what the problem is. Not know is has to be the worst part. Hope yours in not to severe...

I have had back problems all of my life, went to the chiropractor since I was around 11 yrs old. My sciatica problems didn't start till I was pregnant with my son in 1994. I also had my pelvis get very loose due to the hormones etc. With my preg with my daughter in 1997 it was the worst, in order for me to roll over, I actually had to get out of bed and then lay back down on my other side. The pain was horrible. I went to physio, chiro, drs etc, who all told me till my hormones returned to normal the pain would not competely go away. So after having my daughter it increasingly got better. Now the only troubles I have is a couple of bouts a year with my sciatica acting up. I wish I could figue out what seems to agravate it but it seems to come a couple times a year, and I am begining to think it happens when the weather changes.

Ruth, How are you now? do you find that certain things aggravate yours? I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough tie.....

Tawnya
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-02, 21:05

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally posted by tlcdoula

Ruth, How are you now? do you find that certain things aggravate yours? I'm sorry to hear that you had such a rough tie.....

Tawnya

Hi Tawnya,

I'm doing great, thanks for asking. I'm very careful how I lift, so that I don't strain myself. Also very careful to squat rather than bend. My upper & mid back muscles get sore sometimes, but exercise, heat and rest are helpful. It took longer for my back muscles to regain strength than it did for the herniation to subside . I'm an 'apple', so carry my weight in the upper body; my guess is that since my upper body is so heavy, the muscles tire quickly. My back/spinal health is better now than it was a year ago, thank God!

It sure sounds like you have more than enough challenges with your back and pelvis. It's the pits having back problems, isn't it?

Take care
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-14-02, 07:58

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

Hello all,
After reading these posts, I guess I will throw my 2 cents in...

I have had terrible lower back problems for the past 6 years and had two lower spinal surgeries in 1998 (two months apart). The second surgery was to fix the HUGE infection the first surgery caused!!!

I have had the lower third of my spine fused, as well as had the associating discs removed. I live in constant pain and take an assortment of pills daily.

My doc advises NOT to walk as exercise because it just aggravates my problem. Riding an encumbant (sp?) bike is good or water training is even better. When I do my water training, I have to realize that I can do much more in the water, therefore can cause more "after workout" backpain - sometimes lasting a couple of days. So, I have to build up my exercising VERRRRY slowly.

One other thing that helps immensely (especially right before I go to sleep at night) is using parafin. I dip my hands regularly in my parafin dip (helps with arthritis) and at night, when my back is feeling yukky, the hubby takes a paint brush and brushes the hot parafin on my back over the scar and the surrounding muscles. He then will cover my back with some saran wrap and a blanket for about 15 minutes. By the time it cools down completely I am feeling really mushy and can go to sleep without pain (at least for a couple of hours). If any of you have a parafin dip, try it out, it really works!

#7   ^
Old Tue, Jan-15-02, 07:37
Forum Moderator

Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Tawnya,
I would strongly suggest you postpone any gym workouts until your symptoms have subsided.
Do you see a physiotherapist?
If not, I would see one as soon as possible. They don't only help relieve your pain, but can also give you specific exercises for your particular problem.
I'm presuming (and hoping) that by now you're feeling great again.

Rosebud
(another fellow back sufferer)