Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 08:55

Plan: Primal
Stats: 186/166/148 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Goal weight?

How did you pick your goal weight? BMI guideline?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 11:51

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Just Jeff. Best way according to me:

If there was a time in your life (at any age) when you were able to maintain your weight without effort while looking and feeling good, THAT could be your natural "best" weight. If you are a lot older now, then add a few pounds to compensate for the natural effects of aging.

BMI is pretty well debunked as a one-size-fits-all target.

If you have always been "overweight," then choose an arbitrary target that seems doable. You can always change it along the way. It may be that along the way, if you add strength training to your plan, you'll gain some muscle as you lose fat, and you'll look better even without a change in your weight.

Best wishes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 12:46

Plan: Keto (LCHFMP) + IF
Stats: 265/188/150 Female 61 inches
BF:Highest weight 290
Progress: 67%

I chose my goal weight fairly arbitrarily -- based on something that seemed within reason for my height. It was so far away from where I started, that I couldn't ever imagine being there. I started around 265, so 150 seemed like a dream, plus that was 115 pounds to lose -- I was having trouble imaging that as well.

Now that I am much closer to that weight, I think it's probably too high -- it just takes me out of obese and puts me into the overweight category, but definitely not normal, which is about 132 pounds.

But I'll change it when I get there, or just keep it to remember what I originally planned. That's why I think you see people with lower weights than their original goal.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 13:06
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Hi Jeff. I've given up on the idea of a goal weight, because your scale weight is out of your control. Weight and BMI do not account for body composition. Once you're within a healthy weight range (like you are already) you have to take scale weight with a grain of salt.

I recommend keeping your goals action-based, not scale-based. Eat well. Do moderate exercise if you enjoy it. Take care of yourself. Let your weight settle where it does.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 13:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 212/169/150 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Hi Jeff;

I use a combination of things: height, bone mass (big, medium or small build), wrist circumference to determine build, age, BMI, how I look in clothes, how I feel when I move my body.
If you're building muscle and you weigh more, that's a good thing. If you're not building muscle, your weight would be lower. Some scales tell us body fat percentage but I personally don't really care about that. I can tell if my stomach is laying beside me when I lay down in bed
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Oct-23-16, 17:58

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I know where I feel and look best, so chose a goal weight using history. Having said that, I added five pounds, given 15 years since being there. I think we have to be reasonable with expectations as we age. It also definitely depends on muscle mass. I am about to up my weight bearing exercise, which has been minimal the past few years, but was high at my goal minus five. I expect to shrink with no scale loss as I become more fit again.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Oct-24-16, 15:07

Plan: Primal
Stats: 186/166/148 Male 72"
BF:
Progress: 53%

Thanks for your thoughts. I have lost 25lbs now but still feel like I should loose about 5 more. I started by counting calories with the loose it app and the switched to low carb about a year ago.