Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#481   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-23, 06:46

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I have decided it's time to participate in another challenge, not really for weight loss as I have decided not to stress so much about weight, but to pay attention to my bg readings, something haven't done for quite a while.
Sponsored Links
  #482   ^
Old Fri, Mar-31-23, 04:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I have decided it's time to participate in another challenge, not really for weight loss as I have decided not to stress so much about weight, but to pay attention to my bg readings, something haven't done for quite a while.

I have gotten back into yearly checkups and it's always a good thing to know what is going on.
  #483   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-23, 05:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, Jean and Nancy!

I am looking forward to the next round of DDF too. When I do the micros class, I seem to gain a few pounds trying to reach certain nutrient levels. There are ways around that, but I’m still learning!

Received an email this morning with a link to the DDF/ON Instagram page. Another social media I do not have! but it opened for me without an issue.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CqdomM0...&utm_term=Email

Simple graph and explanation of DDF.

Quote:
Your body is kind of like a car that you drive daily. Just like a car needs fuel, your body gets its fuel from the food you eat.
When you consume any type of food—be it protein, fat, or carbs—your blood sugar levels increase.

However, after a while, your blood sugar drops below your personal metabolic threshold, making you feel like you need more fuel and causing you to feel hungry again.

It’s like your body has its own fuel gauge, signaling when it’s time to eat. So, instead of relying on the clock, which doesn’t know anything about your metabolism, your body ultimately determines when to break your fast.

Data-Driven Fasting helps you tune into these natural signals and listen to your true hunger signals, ensuring that you refuel at the right times for your unique needs. Using blood sugar as a true hunger signal greatly improves the success rate of fasting because it spares the pain of waiting for your eating window while you might be actually ready to eat.

In fact, 46% of Data-Driven Fasting users reported they started to eat more meals, decreased their fasting time, and still lost weight, often breaking through the stall they had experienced with more extended fasting protocols.
  #484   ^
Old Tue, Apr-04-23, 04:07

New article with the results of the February DDF Challenge.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/ddf...lts/#more-40291

Quote:
The community in the DDF challenges are a wonderful blend of newbies just starting out, others coming back to continue their journey and long-term DDFers coming back for a tune-up.

Check out these amazing results from the latest round of the challenge in terms of reduced:

weight
premeal glucose
waking glucose, and
body fat.

The Data-Driven Fasting app works as a dashboard for your metabolism, enabling you to monitor and manage the most critical parameters for answering the most vital questions in nutrition:

‘When should I eat?’ and
‘What should I eat?’
  #485   ^
Old Wed, Apr-05-23, 05:46

Optimising Nutrition/Marty Kendall will be posting more in Instagram going forward. If you have or create an Instagram account, follow him (or whatever is done there) 😅 for more memes and graphs with Marty's longer, but not too long, explanations. I tried to create an account but it was suspended before I even opened it. Longest set up process I ever went through only to be rejected

The DDF from above:

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Apr-05-23 at 06:04.
  #486   ^
Old Tue, Apr-11-23, 05:27

Sharing this article from this morning's Macro email:

How Much Do You Need to Increase Your Protein % to Lose Weight?

Next Macro class starts April 22nd, helps to find what % protein is best for you. I didn’t do this class until I had already zoomed right to aggressive fat loss %, but not everyone needs that.
The charts in the section "How Much Do You Need to Increase Your Protein % to Get Results? " includes the numbers if you are willing to track your favorite protein foods to know its protein and fat %.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...o-lose-weight/?

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-11-23 at 05:34.
  #487   ^
Old Wed, Apr-12-23, 10:17

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Sharing this article from this morning's Macro email:

How Much Do You Need to Increase Your Protein % to Lose Weight?

Next Macro class starts April 22nd, helps to find what % protein is best for you. I didn’t do this class until I had already zoomed right to aggressive fat loss %, but not everyone needs that.
The charts in the section "How Much Do You Need to Increase Your Protein % to Get Results? " includes the numbers if you are willing to track your favorite protein foods to know its protein and fat %.

https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...o-lose-weight/?

Thanks, Janet. This is such an important subject demonstrating that protein consumption determines how everything else lines up, and if one can eat in a caloric deficit with a healthy amount of protein, everything falls neatly into place. Enough protein enables one to achieve health and feel satiated even when reducing the amount of calories consumed. It's why I refer to protein as the fulcrum macro.
  #488   ^
Old Sat, Apr-22-23, 03:43

Hi Rob, no matter which way you stack the various satiety hacks, or try new versions of LC like carnivore, or pick between the subtle differences of Marty and Ted's approach..#1 for satiety is always Protein.
I was listening to an interview with Ted Naiman where he ranked what he would tell a new patient, #1 increase protein percent, #2 reduce energy and #3 increase fiber.

Another new article by Marty on the same topic, " Crush Your Hunger for Longer: The Biggest Satiety Hacks (and How to Stack Them)". https://optimisingnutrition.com/cru...hem/#more-40382

The Muscle Intelligence podcast…need to work on getting this look
https://www.muscleintelligence.com/?s=Ted+Naiman

A new Macro class starts today (even though the DDF class hasn’t finished) https://optimisingnutrition.com/macros-masterclass/
Marty suggests not doing two courses at the same time if new, but these two together are OK if you have done them before separately.
  #489   ^
Old Wed, Apr-26-23, 09:47

An new,excellent interview with Dr. Eenfeldt about Satiety per Calorie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BQq2FjOZLk
A number of mentions of Marty and how Nutrient Density is part of Satiety.
  #490   ^
Old Tue, May-09-23, 04:07

Most of us want to lose some weight to look and feel great.
- But how much is enough?
- How much is too much?
- And will improving body composition reduce your chances of avoiding disease?
Marty has been diving back into the world of Calorie Restriction with Optimal Nutrition (CRON) which seems to be making a comeback thanks to Bryan Johnson’s Blueprint anti-aging plan. He came across some fascinating data that helps us answer these important questions.

As you’ll learn, maintaining a more optimal body composition will reduce your risk of dying of most of our modern diseases.
This article will give you solid data to help you set a realistic body weight goal and extra motivation to take your weight seriously.
This is important because it has real implications for your long-term health!
Optimal Body Weight for Health & Longevity (and How to Achieve It)

https://optimisingnutrition.com/opt...ity/#more-41003

A good re-evaluation of Longevity data now that Dr Attia (and many others!) are writing about this topic.

Understanding that BMI is a population-based statistic, in this case 3.6 million residents in the NHS system, this is a fascinating look at all-cause or specific cause mortality.

The study details are linked.
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/...0288-2/fulltext

Quote:

Longevity guru Peter Attia highlights that you need to train for the last decade of your life. If you want to be able to care for yourself and play with your great-grandkids, you need to start ‘training’ for that now. The strength you gain in your 30s and 40s is an investment account you get to use later.

Bone density, muscle strength, lean mass, body fat % are all things I have been focused on after losing weight, now maintaining a 22 BMI. My journal has recent body scan reports which showed an improvement in all those markers over the past 2 1/2 years.
This article is a good explanation why it is so important.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, May-09-23 at 09:00.
  #491   ^
Old Sun, May-21-23, 07:50

Finally!
Low Carb Down Under posted on YT Marty Kendall’s talk at LC Gold Coast,
"How to use your BG meter as a Fuel Gauge"

https://youtu.be/ZXE9v8Kq2u0

This talk is only about DDF, simple, clear, only 20 minutes.
The 200+ page book comes later
This talk does not include food nor the Nutrient Optimization part.
How to lose weight without tracking food or calories.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-22-23 at 03:16.
  #492   ^
Old Fri, May-26-23, 03:53

"People who are lean and have plenty of muscle will see stable glucose levels regardless of what they eat. But, unfortunately, simply ‘hacking your glucose’ will not make you lean or metabolically healthy.

Metabolically healthy people have stable blood glucose, but
Hacking a flatline blood glucose won’t automatically make you metabolically healthy or lean.

To understand why your glucose rises more or less than other people’s with the same food, it’s important to understand that your body has (multiple) fuel tanks. It’s not simply about the carbs in your food or the glucose in your blood!

Short guide to How to Use your BG as a Fuel Gauge: https://optimisingnutrition.com/how...ictorial-guide/

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, May-26-23 at 06:06.
  #493   ^
Old Mon, Jun-12-23, 03:36

"Where do you get your protein?
How to get enough protein without excess fat is one of the most common questions we get in our challenges.

Marty just finished updating his protein food lists. They now include:
- an interactive Tableau chart,
- average protein per serving, and
- protein %.
Check it out in our Optimising Nutrition Community at:

https://members.optimisingnutrition...d-lists-protein

Direct link to the Public Tableau: https://public.tableau.com/app/prof...ein?publish=yes
  #494   ^
Old Sat, Jun-17-23, 23:20

Marty Kendall's original analysis of nutrition research, Big, Fat Keto Lieshas been published in a book format for less than six months, and is climbing in charts, with new reviews like this one:

Quote:
5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Put, This Book Blew Me Away. Outstanding. One of the best health and diet books I've read.
Reviewed in the United States 🇺🇸 on June 12, 2023 Verified Purchase

Wow. Was this book ever a surprise! I’m a health writer, and I spend hours a day researching books about diet, nutrition, and other health-related matters. This one jumped (or vaulted) right to the top. It’s literally packed with valuable information. The writer, Marty Kendall, is BRILLIANT. And that brilliance shines through in every word on every page.

Marty is exquisitely qualified to write this book. Why? He’s an accomplished engineer, and he handles the topic of nutrition from a scientific and empirical basis. Furthermore, both his wife and son have type-1 diabetes, so he takes a deep and personal interest in the subject.

I’m always looking for ways to tweak my diet and improve my health. Every book I read usually yields a point or two to consider. Some of those points work, some don’t. And some, including the 12 he debunks in the book, are downright dangerous. But Big Fat Keto Lies was like finding a treasure chest—and it’s packed. I can’t stop reading and rereading it, and I’ve personally applied many points already. Within just two weeks, I’m seeing steady improvements in markers like body fat (down), muscle mass (up), waistline (trimmer), and blood sugar levels (more steady than ever.) My biological age, according to the charts, has been dropping, and I’m now five years younger than my actual age: and heading even lower.

I especially love the information and charts (oh, there’s lots and lots of helpful charts) about our four fuel tanks (glucose, glycogen, fatty acids, and bodily fat) and how they are interrelated and work together. Do a good job of partially draining the first three, and now you have direct access to what you are really seeking to remove . . . your body’s store of excess fat. You simply can’t lose weight with high glucose levels, a liver full of glycogen, and excess fatty acids in your blood. If you can get those under control, you will lose unwanted weight, and Marty shows you how to do just that.

Finally, this is a fad-free book. It’s all science, nutritional science. Marty stresses the importance of nutritional density. If we don’t get the nutrients we need from our diet, we’ll never feel fully satisfied after eating, and we’ll always be looking for (and likely finding) more to eat. Eat the right nutrients, at the right times, and in the right amounts, including to satiety, and watch your health profile skyrocket.

This book is amazing. It’s one of the best nutrition and health books I’ve ever read, and I highly recommend it to you.

David Klein

At #20 in Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance diet book rankings, this book offers the information needed when Low Carb (or any diet, he has analyzed the micronutrients in over 30 diet patterns) stops working, stalled or regained.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jun-18-23 at 08:35.
  #495   ^
Old Wed, Jun-21-23, 06:10

Mikki Williden, PhD has become a new podcaster favorite for me, and in yesterday’s interview with Dr. Ted Naiman she mentions Marty Kendall’s involvement in the satiety per calorie concept.

https://podcast.mikkiwilliden.com/164

"This week on the podcast Mikki speaks to Dr Ted Neiman, science communicator and whole food diet expert, all about protein and satiety. They talk about how Ted became interested in nutrition (from a vegetarian background) and how his patients opened his eyes to the various ways which with we could use diet to arrive at optimal health outcomes. They discuss how Ted’s approach has evolved from protein:energy ratio to encompass much more around satiety related to other factors (fibre, micronutrients, and the hedonic nature of food). Ted outlines the satiety per calorie index (his new book is focused on) and why this could be the best tool to determine the best approach with regards to food (as they iron out a few wrinkles). They also discuss the biomarkers that Ted is most interested in when ordering tests for his patients, personal fat threshold and how this relates to health, and other topics which are in the realm of metabolic health. An insightful conversation!
Dr. Ted Naiman, MD, is the Senior Science and Communication Advisor at Diet doctor and a board-certified Family Medicine physician in the department of Primary Care at a leading major medical center in Seattle. His research and medical practice are focused on the practical implementation of diet and exercise for health optimization. He has an undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering and utilizes engineering principles when dealing with complex systems such as human health and nutrition. He is the author of ‘The PE Diet’"

This is a great new introduction to the Protein to Energy ratio and its latest refinement to Satiety per Calorie.

From the Transcript:

Quote:
01:13:45 the food that's in your environment and make choices and quantities that are going to just make you more successful. Yeah, totally. And are you working with Marty Kendall as well? I feel like he's a cousin of mine because he lives in Australia. Absolutely. Yeah, Marty is another, Diet Doctors is consulting with Marty all over the place because he's one of my favourite people in the food space and Marty's awesome. Marty's doing for micros what we're doing for macros kind of. But if you... 01:14:14 combine the two, it's like unstoppable. It's like food. Yeah. I absolutely love Marty, possibly because I'm an engineer and so is he, so that helps. But yeah, he's great. Yeah. And I do feel like it's people who are outside of the nutrition space originally, who have that sort of critical problem-solving mindset. Engineers seem to come up a lot actually in nutrition as being sort of forward thinking in this. Ted, thank you so much for your time. I have loved chatting to you.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Jun-21-23 at 06:15.