Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 07:00

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 141/132.6/125 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Question for YOU!

Hi! Let's have some fun!

I want to know what WORKS for you on the Atkins Induction. I am in this for the long haul (been on induction for a month), know this works, but it is slow for me. So, I want to hear what everyone's favorite foods are, what really works- breakfast, lunch or supper! And snacks too! Secrets, tips, etc.! Here is my little list...

-just found pre-made spinach artichoke dip! OMG! 2T is 1g of carbs! But I treat it like cheese because it has a lot of that in it. Great with mini dukes or celery. Warm it up! Game changer snack.

-"Butter Steak". Seriously, when I make these it is no where near feeling like a "diet". A lot of supermarkets have discounted or "eat or freeze by" specials and this is where I find great deals on yummy steak. I fry them up in butter (a little cold to get the grill going up here) and usually just eat them with steamed veggies--perfect supper.

-So, I do eat some nuts. And I am telling ya, Macadamias and pecans are just divine. With the fiber, it keeps your carb count low, a small amount works so nice on top of a salad. Wow.

-Coconut oil in your coffee. Okay, this is a big one. I did the research on it and tried it. I think this is what is really doing a positive number on my weight loss. And I like it.

Now......GO! Your turn please! I need ideas! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 09:12

Stats: 237.6/150/155 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 106%

Hi Danelionp: Welcome! I think my best tip isn't a particular recipe but encouraging you to browse recipes here and on other low carb sites to find sttuff you absolutely love. My partner and I have found that we LOVE the foods we are eating and we keep finding more and more and more amazing new meals to make so that we never miss the foods we've given up.

I have also found that 9 months into this new WOE, my appetite has decreased and my entire perception of what is a "portion size" has changed. I think we are spending less on food , even though we are buying more expensive stuff, because we eat so much less now -- just two meals a day, barely any snacks. That didn't happen all at once.... for me, I'd say that the noticeable appetite and "down in the bone" change in my relationship to food and portions came about 7 or 8 months in.

I do keep a few snacky foods on hand. We make our own beef jerky in a dehydrator (controls the sugar content). I usually have snacks available for the rare times I feel like gnawing on something: for that, I keep salami, cheese, boiled eggs, olives, nuts, pumpkin seeds, chicken wings around. I drink quite a bit of tea, and also have some home-made chicken or beef stock/broth.

I keep thinking I am going to start posting pix and links to recipes of my favorite foods on my blog, but that is pretty time consuming so I haven't done it yet.

I actually feel sorry for overweight people who haven't discovered this WOE. Both because of the health benefits, the weight loss benefits -- and the healthfulness and taste of the wonderful food I am having every day.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 10:25

BF:

Love that replied andante!

Yes! Have noticed how less I am eating, that's a big deal. And I am not as hungry. Yes, it is a WOE or a WOL (life!) because more than ever it's amazing to me how much I like this. I have done the Atkins a long time ago and it was a lot harder. But I lost quicker. It's a whole change of perspective.

So many benefits!

Oh I was gonna add that I cannot believe how much I love sugar free jello! Ha!
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 12:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
I want to know what WORKS for you on the Atkins Induction...

1) Decide on a plan or make your own.

2) Make a list of the carbs you are going to eat on your plan

3) Write down the carb content of each vegetable per unit of measure. Keep in food prep area (net carbs/total carbs - it's up to you and your plan - I started with <=25 net carbs)

4) Buy a scale

5) Eat fat, carbs to plan and some protein until hunger diminishes.

6) Don't eat when not hungry.

By close observation and experimentation on step 5 you will get better at figuring out what step 6 means to you. Step 6, for me, has changed over time.

A few other things I think might be helpful;

- Prepare every meal yourself if possible
- Set low expectations for weight loss but have high aspirations
- Practice skipping meals so you can have that option when you think you have none
- Make slow adjustments
- There are no secrets, there is no magic
- Relax, relax, rela, re, zzzzzzz There, now you are relaxed
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 16:08

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Carl's Jr. Southwest Chicken sandwich, lettuce wrapped. It was a staple in my first foray into LC, during which I lost 60 lbs in under a year.

Hot herbal tea or hot broth at night when I feel like eating "something" - grazing.

Iced tea in a pitcher in the fridge.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 16:28

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Love your excitement- it bodes well for your success

1. I second the advice to peruse the recipe forums here and around the net. Just google "keto and whatever dish you are in mood for." You will be amazed at all the links that pop up.

2. PLAN ahead!
Make a grocery list and make sure your meals and snacks are planned before you go, so you have right things on list.

3. Have PLAN B, because life will get in way.....examples include keeping leftovers in Tupperware in freezer with dates.
If you are planning to go to store on say Thursday, and then your kid is sick and your boss was a jerk, and you are dying on the vine.....can you run in grab a rotisserie and a frozen vegetable you like? Boom dinner will be ready in about 5 minutes!
Frozen shrimp that are peeled but raw, tossed in pan with veggies, soy sauce, and a little sesame oil makes a great stirfry in under ten minutes. I especially love using the frozen cauli rice that is out now.

4. I love nuts and cheese and eat them daily, but make sure to weigh them, buy pre portioned options like string cheese or baby bel, or buy pinch cups (each holds an oz of nuts or seeds. My set of 6 cost maybe $8 and they are cute!).
I am also addicted to wasabi seaweed snacks, found in Asian aisle. They are 2 net carbs, plus 2 fiber per little container.

5. If going out, make sure to look at menu ahead of time. It is much easier to decide on best option before you are being enticed by smells and people around you.

6. Start a journal in forums here, or post often. I have been in maintenance for years now and still visit at least 4-6 days a week. It keeps me on plan, and enjoying it, as opposed to a "burden."
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-17, 16:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

For me starting Atkins is slow and low..
I start with no more than 5 carbs a day the first week. Only the lettuce and salads.
The next week I may go up to 7 carbs. The next week if I lose I may go up or I may stay there.
I don't eat nuts or anything snack like things. I eat real meals and nice sized ones with high fat.
I don't eat processed food.

I do work through the plan adding new carbs as I go on plan.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-17, 07:59

BF:

Excellent! Thanks for replying...off to check the recipes!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 05:33

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

Here are a couple of my favorite go to's:

1. The Perdue chicken short cuts (I actually prefer Costco brand) dipped in Wholly Guacamole singles. Makes a great snack or meal.

2. Cheese crisps - for those times when I really feel like eating potato chips. I just slice a few thin pieces of cheddar and throw them in the oven for a few minutes. I do salt them because I'm a bit of a saltaholic. Taste sort of like Cheez-its. I try not to eat too much cheese so these are only an occasional snack

3. pasta-less ziti. I just mix the hamburger meat, low carb tomato sauce, whole milk ricotta and mozzarella, and an egg. All the taste of ziti, but none of the carbs (or about 6 carbs per serving).

4. I'll take grilled chicken breast (my own or short cuts) in a little pyrex bowl and throw on some bacon crumbles and cheddar jack cheese. Put it in the oven for a few minutes and it's quite tasty. Sometimes I'll dip it in a Wholly Guac
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-17, 09:30

Stats: 215/200/180 Male 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

My favorite meal of the day is breakfast. I have been low carbing for a little over a year now, and have eaten this almost everyday. 2 strips of bacon, after cooking add 2 cups of baby spinach to the bacon grease, add 3 scrambled eggs, after flipping, add 1 oz of sharp cheddar cheese. Serve with 1.5 oz of brie and your off to about 5.7 grams of carb.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Feb-10-17, 04:45

BF:

Tess! So I always say potatoes are my favorite food (then pizza!) ! And I love chips. So I am gonna have to try this as I love cheese it's! Thanks for all your divine descriptions...

And mj- I have never ever liked Brie but that actually might be a good way to try it. 😀

ROBIN! i just wanted to say thanks to you too, you're right! My excitement is good- I think anyone can agree that once you start even seeing SMALL changes you know tyoure on the right path. I am like a cheerleader. I also need inspiration and enthusiasm to keep it up though....I like all your planning...I write all my foods down, typically, that I eat throughout the day...lists and a well stocked freezer are big deals!

SAY!!! Do you folks have an ALDI???? they are amazing. I have found some super deals in the meat department there! Good company.

Okay that's all for now. Happy Friday! 💛
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Feb-20-17, 14:15

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

One good thing is to know yourself, know your body, know your triggers. I'm an emotional eater, but what helps with with that end of things is to eat in a way that I get strongly into ketosis. I do that by eating more or less according to Atkins '72 the first book, because while that version is more restrictive than later versions, it's a great way to plunge back into serious low carb eating (especially after a "relapse" when you've been loading up on carbs). After a period of time (sometimes for me, that would be several weeks) I ease up slightly and move into DANDR. The advantage of Atkins 72 and getting into ketosis is that your cravings for junk pretty much disappear very fast (3 days max for me), and that makes it so I don't emotionally crave the junk. I just don't want sugar at that point, I don't think about it. My appetite is also greatly reduced, and overall, thoughts of food (and goodies) aren't always dancing around in my head.

I don't think I will ever be able to work my way up the Atkins food "ladder" because one thing I have learned about myself is that at my age, I simply **cannot** eat many carbs or I will start to gain weight and cravings will come roaring back too strongly to resist. This is just a fact of my life and my body, and I finally accept it and always try to make peace with it. I can't eat like I ate in my 20s and 30s and 40s any more, when I could eat a lot of stuff and a lot of carbs and not gain too much or too fast. I have to be very mindful of what I choose to eat if I want to lose weight and stay slim. This is a choice I have to make, but it helps to accept it and not fight it.

Most of the time, what works for me is to eat what most people might consider a rather limited and boring diet. I keep it simple, limited and relatively boring because I always know what to eat and what works for me. Eggs and bacon for breakfast, every day. Sometimes no breakfast. I'm a person who likes no more than 2 meals a day, so I've found I don't really like to eat lunch any more because I'm just not hungry at lunch. Or I might skip breakfast and eat breakfast at lunch time. Second meal is an early dinner (4:30-5 pm). Meat and salad or veggie. Lots of water to drink, also green teas that have lemon or some such in them so they taste great without sugar (I hate plain green tea). Sometimes as a treat a small cappuccino made with cream. Occasional SF jello with a bit of whipped cream on top as a treat. This kind of eating usually keeps carbs at 5-10g per day, and I've also observed that I lose weight best at this particular level. I don't ever have to worry about overeating when I eat this way, so calories are never a worry, I don't think about calories.

Over years of experimentation, with both failure and success at weight loss, I finally realized that focusing on a huge variety of fancy recipes to mimic my "old" eating patterns was actually a huge problem. It just kept me in the wrong place mentally, and food was too big a thing in my life, I had to think about it all the time. I had trouble keeping carbs under 20g doing that, too. I don't want to be food obsessed, whether it's the bad stuff or whether it's Atkins. Simplify, simplify. Keep it simple, that works best for me and helps me live a saner life.

Last edited by CMCM : Mon, Feb-20-17 at 20:35.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Feb-22-17, 22:22

Stats: 287/265.7/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 20%

I am brand new to this. Just started week 3. I found keeping vegies pre cut (peppers, zucchini, onion, etc.) and a package of greens at the ready, it's super easy to fix breakfast, saute the vegies in a bit of butter - add the eggs, then add some greens, top with some avocado. Yumm! (have lost 11 pounds so far, and feeling better than I have in a very long time!)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 06:32

BF:

Hi Cindy!!! Exciting times! 11 pounds!!!! That is so good. Smart idea. I keep forgetting about zucchini!! Happy eating!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-26-17, 06:45

BF:

CMCM-

Wow lots there, thank you for your thoughts! This is why I started this thread- so I really appreciate you thoughtful feedback.

Your diet sounds similar to how I have "settled" into a routine of eating. I especially like to hear from a gal like you bacause it sounds like your just a little older than me? My age has been a big factor in promoting a change in how I eat, or more so, how I think about eating.

I am learning a lot. I am still in induction after all this time...almost two months. But I have added special items like blackberries, strawberries and lots of nuts and seeds to help break things up. That's really been nice.

Also realizing, eating this way, if I have what I call a "food opportunity" --I take it somewhat. Eating out, cooking class, friends supper- these things have happened and I have had small amounts of food (pinch of bread, few homemade fries, sweet fanc deserts) and it's worked rather well. So this has been a "relearning" process really.

Also working with guilt, expectation and thinking of the long haul. Focusing on my goals: they way I want to feel and, yes, look.

Well enough of all tht! I hope more folks chime in because it is so interesting and inspiring to hear it all! Thank you!!