Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Aug-06-06, 16:43

Plan: Wheat Belly/Paleo
Stats: 290/280/180 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default How long on LC before seeing improvement?

Hi all,

I know that LC diets improve PCOS symptoms. I was wondering if anyone had an experience where they began ovulating/cycling on their own after eating LC for awhile. If so, how long did it take before you saw improvement?

Thanks,
Bobbi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Aug-20-06, 16:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 207/182/145 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default symptom relief

My cycle was much better after the first two weeks- More "normal." What I mean by that is it lasted 3 days instead of 1. I'm on the pill, so it's regular. Otherwise, it shows up once every few months or so. I got pregnant (with both of my kids) on day 60 something in my cycle! I also had two m/c but I'm not sure what day I got pg with those. LC definitely helps me with the cycles. As for other symptoms- not yet. I've only been at it for 4 weeks, though.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jan-02-07, 19:35

Plan: Low Glycemic
Stats: 249/217/135 Female 5 foot 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 28%

Bobbi,
I don't know about the LC yet because I am just beginning but I can say that I have noticed a difference in my symptoms just by simply adding exercise in my everyday. If I can't make it to the gym I try to walk a lot and get up and down all day long to get that extra work out in. My cycles are now normal, running about every 28 days, which has never happened to me in the past. Plus, my cycles are not as painful as they used to be and I am not on any birth control pills either so I am very happy about that. I will keep you informed about the LC eating and if I see any changes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 16:09

Plan: Atkins/lowering cals
Stats: 187/143.6/135 Female 64
BF:35.2/ 20%/20%
Progress: 83%

Prior to LC I would maybe have 1 or 2 periods per year, yes I was supposed to take provera, but shhhhhhhhh! Anyway within two weeks of starting LC I had a period. I've been at it for 2 1/2 years and in that time I've only missed 3 periods. Yep, I'm now 41 years old and regular for the first time in my life. My cycles run 32-34 days a little longer than average, but they do show up.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-03-07, 18:49
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Within 2 months of low carbing I started bleeding. It was every 38 days which according to my endo still meant I wasnt ovulating but it was a start. Within 6 months it turned into every 29/30 days and I was ovulating on my own. I was not on any birth control because I didnt want any extra hormones screwing me up. It was all low carb. I was on a low fat diet before I switched to low carb and it made my PCOS symptoms much worse.

It was about 3 months before my skin began to glow and my hair to grow back healthier. It was about 8-10 months on low carb before I noticed a slight reduction with facial hair. Within a few weeks I noticed that I was losing belly fat. It was about 6 or 8 months that my hormone panel tests finally appeared to be almost normal and showed dramatic improvement.

Now I am getting laser for my facial hair. We shall see how well I do with PCOS.
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Jan-06-07, 18:57

Plan: ketogenic/VLC
Stats: 522/456/399 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress: 54%

I started "bleeding" about 10 days into LC and when I stick to it my cycles are almost normal. I acctualy guage how well I am eating by how often I am having periods. I know I have let my carbs creep up when my cycle is irregular. I have not been consistant with lc very long but hopfully the other symptoms will clear up soon as well. But I will live with facial hair and other syptoms if I can ovulate and someday give my DH a baby!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jan-17-07, 17:17
Contrarian

Plan: Atkins/Controlled Carb
Stats: 275/190/190 Female 72
BF:Not a clue!
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Bobbi_
Hi all,

I know that LC diets improve PCOS symptoms. I was wondering if anyone had an experience where they began ovulating/cycling on their own after eating LC for awhile. If so, how long did it take before you saw improvement?

Thanks,
Bobbi

Some of my clients have PCO and DH's practice is reproductive endo - he routinely recommends a carb-restricted diet those those patients with PCO, with more carbohydrate (40-80g) if they're actively trying to get pregnant, less if they aren't trying to get pregnant and need to/want to lose weight first (20g-60g).

From my experience, every last one of my PCO clients (so far) who follow the diet I lay out with them resume menstration within six weeks of starting a carb-restricted diet, most get a period within 10 to 21 days of following the diet. Ovulation often resumes within a month or two - that first period isn't always an ovulation induced period, but sometimes from estrogen being liberated from fat stores (and is often longer than normal - this can also happen months later after starting LC) - the period that follows that one, if regular and on-time after that first one happening on it's own, is the ovulatory period and within six months ovulation-period cycle is often back on track, in both lean and overweight/obese PCO women. Some women do ovulate once they start the diet though....

DH has already had a bunch of his patients with PCO get pregnant without drug intervention because the diet effectively normalized their cycle, and in a few so far they did ovulate within the first two weeks of the diet and got pregnant.