Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 06:32

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I remember nearly 20 years ago, when I first low carbed and went gluten-free, going into a McDonald's and asking for a burger with no bun. The counter girl was dumbfounded. "What? No bun? You want a hamburger with no BUN??? How am I supposed to serve it with no bun?"

Fast-forward nearly 20 years and now they don't bat an eye at most restaurants. I ordered a Whopper with no bun at Burger King not long ago and not a word was said. When I got my receipt I noticed it said on it "Whopper, low carb"

When on the road I like to keep moving without long stops, and one of my fave quick breakfasts is at McDonald's. They sell items a la carte, and I like to order 1-2 "round" eggs with 1-2 sausage patties. The round eggs are just plain poached eggs ~ unlike their scrambled which have all sorts of nasty additives. I struggled to describe what I wanted the first time I ordered this as when i asked for just "eggs" they gave me scrambled. Finall the woman at the counter said, "oh, you mean the round eggs!" I've since asked for round eggs at McD all over and they know what I mean. Now with all-day breakfast I can have round eggs anytime.

Even Dunkin Donuts, that bastion of Carbopia, is doable. They have lovely sausage, egg and cheese sandwiches with they serve on croissants or bagels ~ but since it's all just microwaved you can ask for the fillings on a paper plate. If you really want the cheese though make sure you ask them to put it *in between* the egg and sausage. The default is to put it on top where it will melt into the croissant, but when prepared "naked" it just melts into the paper. Plus I love DD coffee with their unsweetened sugar-free flavor shots.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 06:39

BF:

I don't know how widespread Pita Pits are. I know they are a chain and we have one near me, dedicated primarily to sandwiches in pita bread. But like Subway and others they will happily make the sandwich into a salad instead.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 07:31

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

DD has SF flavors?? Love their coffee too, but have avoided them for years. Will go later this morning (drive-thru ) to check it out! Thanks, Debbie.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Dec-02-15, 15:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

i love DD coffee, too.
tip: note that their iced coffee is presweetened!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 08:19

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
DD has SF flavors?? Love their coffee too, but have avoided them for years. Will go later this morning (drive-thru ) to check it out! Thanks, Debbie.

Just beware that they have sugary shots too, though lately the DD drive-thrus I've been to show a list saying which are sugar-free and which are not. I especially love the toasted almond flavor, I ask for two shots of flavor. Note they are not sweet at all which is great for me as I hate sweet coffee, but if you like that touch of sweetness you will still need to add splenda or something. I also avoided DD for years until my sister told me about the flavor shots.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Dec-03-15, 09:06

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I tried the Toasted Almond too!...Good, and as you say, not sweet at all.