Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > U.S.
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 14:44

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%
Default LC/Primal Doctors in Maine?

Does anyone know of a LC/Paleo-friendly doctor in southern Maine? I've tried these websites, but only one physician accepts insurance and he's the head of a weight-loss center and so can't be my primary care physician.

http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/
http://primaldocs.com/
http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

I'm just tired of feeling like I have to defend my lifestyle all the time. My current doctor will be retiring soon, so I really need to find someone. There has to be someone out there who understands that prescription meds are not the be-all-and-end-all of medicine, that sodium is an essential nutrient, that statins are dangerous, that I don't need to eat wheat to be healthy, etc.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you can give me.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Feb-21-14, 15:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I've read this website for general health issues, they lean toward alternate medicine. Http://www.womentowomen.com. Not a personal rec, just know it is in Yarmouth.

Quote:
For heart health: "Practice good eating! What you eat definitely affects your insulin levels which will affect your metabolism and your cholesterol. A diet high in vegetables and low in simple carbohydrates and saturated fat can reduce cholesterol levels – sometimes as effectively as statin drugs – without the side effects! I’ve seen many patients change their insulin resistance and lower their cholesterol by following these proven dietary guidelines."

Could also phone around to local practices and just ask the nurse/ office manager if the doctor would support a real foods, low carb WOE, does he/she recommend nutritional strategies before pharmaceutical.

Look for DO degrees or doctors trained in Functional Medicine. The Functional medicine site also has a list: https://www.functionalmedicine.org, including a number of MDs and DOs in ME.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-22-14 at 04:59.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-14, 06:06

BF:

Thanks, Jey. I used to go to W2W and had a very bad experience there. I'm currently seeing an NP who specializes in gyno who used to work there, and she left W2W for the same reasons I did. I found this NP (I hadn't known at the time that she had left W2W, nor was she the one I saw at W2W) by calling a local compounding pharmacy and asking if they could give me some names of doctors who prescribed bio-identical hormones.

Maine is a big state, and there were only 2 on that functional medicine website within 50 miles of where I am. One doesn't take insurance at all, but I can check in with the other one.

I just keep thinking there have to be more than a few doctors out there who are not listed on any of these websites who advocate whole foods, etc. Trouble is, when you say "whole foods," pretty much everyone will tell you they advocate that, then come to find out they also advocate healthywholegrains and statins.

Thanks, though. I'll bookmark the website and check back later, as these listings can change.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-14, 07:11

Why I suggested looking for DOs, many more of them.

Quote:
Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine (D.O. or DO) is a professional doctoral degree for physicians and surgeons offered by medical schools in the United States. Holders of the D.O. degree have attained the ability to become licensed as osteopathic physicians who have equivalent rights, privileges, and responsibilities as physicians with a Doctor of Medicine degree (M.D.).[1] D.O. physicians are licensed to practice the full scope of medicine and surgery in sixty countries,[2] including all 50 states in the US, and make up 7 percent of the total U.S. physician population. In 2013, there were 87,300 osteopathic physicians in the United States.[3]

DO degree is not a guarantee about nutrition, but they usually lean to a more natural approach.

I know Chris Kresser had a post about how to find a good doctor, including the questions to ask in interview, that's where I read about FunctionalMedicine website, but I cannot find it again.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-22-14 at 07:17.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-14, 07:02

BF:

I agree with you on the DOs. They do seem more open to "alternative" ideas like not eating processed foods. :-)

I'm totally open to seeing a DO. Actually, my NP might have a recommendation. I never thought to ask her! Sheesh. I know there's a woman in their practice who is more of a primary care physician. Not sure why I never thought to look to her. Chalk it up to menopausal brain fog!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Mar-08-14, 21:08

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
DO degree is not a guarantee about nutrition, but they usually lean to a more natural approach.
I still feel leery. I went to a DO for my thyroid issues and she was completely opposed to any treatment but synthroid (was hoping to find someone who would prescribe Armour thyroid for me) - and was totally RABID to put me on stations. She railed on and on about my absolute need for statins at every visit - so after three visits I gave up on her completely. Finally found a more holistic NP who did prescribe Armour for me, and my totally cholesterol dropped 100 points in 6 weeks, as did my LDL which the DO was so concerned about as well as the total number (total went from 296 to 191, LDL went from 218 to 110, trigs were low and HDL high in both cases).

But I wish you luck. I wish I could find a good primary doctor too. I like the doctor I see but she is only available 3 days a week so I do worry about other days if I should have a problem.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-09-14, 07:32

BF:

Good for you, Debbie, for sticking to your guns and finding someone who works for you. Dropping both your total cholesterol and LDL by more than 100 points is pretty amazing!

Maybe NPs are the way to go these days. My gyno NP is the first one who really listened to me and is trying to help me. She even personally calls me between appointments to find out how I'm doing and if I have any questions. The last time she called, we talked for 45 minutes! When was the last time a doctor ever did that for you? Unfortunately, she can't be my primary physician in terms of insurance.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-04-14, 09:12

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 141/123/123 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

Just wanted to post and let you know that my husband is a practicing Family Doctor in Maine who uses Paleo/Primal type diets to help interested patients. He is located in Skowhegan, Maine (it would be an hours drive depending on where you are at in southern Maine), but he takes insurance. His name is Dr. Jacob Stinson D.O (he also does Osteopathic manipulation for his patients as well is fellowshipped trained in high risk obstetrics and women's care (including those who need a c-section). You can find him at Skowhegan Family Medicine and he is currently accepting patients. He already has several patients who are drastically improving while using diet. Good luck
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 03:26

BF:

Good to know! Unfortunately, Skowhegan is almost 2 hours from where I am. I did find one person within an hour, but he must be very popular because there's a waiting list to get an appointment. If this one doesn't work out, I'll look into your husband's practice.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-09-14, 05:23

Heard this podcast of interview with a LC, Paleo naturopath in ME.
Does extensive testing on patients, individualizes diet by results.
http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...etabolism/22831
Links to his practice and a direct testing lab with list of tests recommended.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-10-14, 05:48

BF:

Jey, what a nice person you are to remember this thread! I briefly looked into Dr. Mauer earlier this year, but made what was probably a rash and uninformed opinion when I saw the title of his book was "Blood Code." To me that conjured up the "blood type diet" which smacks of quackery to me. Just reading the description for the podcast made me realize I was mistaken about his philosophy.

I did find another "integrative" doctor, though I'm still waiting for my first appointment. I'm having a few second thoughts about him now, too, as he doesn't take insurance (they'll give you a "super form" for you to submit yourself) and is not affiliated with any hospitals.

Plus, I just went through a terrible bout of diverticulitis and was hospitalized for 4 days. It was so bad that they said had I waited any longer, it probably would have ruptured. I went to our local hospital, my current doctor was on duty, and I really felt secure with him there. I wasn't ever going to give him up as my primary care physician, instead keeping him but also hiring another doctor "on the side." Now I'm not sure I want to do that.

But thanks for the referral. I'll definitely listen to the podcast and check out his site.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-14, 03:26

I almost didn't listen to the podcast as I thought the same about it being blood-type. When I checked his website after, he has lists of the various blood tests he uses to evaluate overall health, look for problems. Handy to have whichever doctor anyone uses.
Sorry to hear about your hospitalization. You were lucky to have your PCP there, so many practices have gone to using "hospitalists". I'm using my gyno as my PCP, Dr. Westman for weight and metabolism, and would have to go to an urgent care/hospital for something serious.
Hope you feel better and find the care you need.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Jun-13-14, 06:15

BF:

My hospital does use hospitalists, but my doctor was one of them. Feeling much better, thanks.