Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 14:19

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
Well, its affects seem to be - disfigurement in the shape of obesity, diabetes, heart disease..... and of course its given freely - even to babies.

After the birth of my first baby 25 years ago, the nurse didn't want to wake me, so they gave my baby sugar water. Great move, nurse! They knew I was planning on breastfeeding, but didn't honor my choice at all. They even gave me a 6-pack of soy formula when we left.

On the whole, my time in that hospital's maternity ward was a dismal experience.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 14:24

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Glad to see all the media attention on sugar! It's about time.

(I still haven't watched Lustig's video, hope to get to it soon...)

#18   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 14:32

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
From the first article:

She missed the point - sugar is in virtually every processed food. So how does she consider sugar to be part of a "varied and balanced diet?"

If, as many people do, you eat 3 meals plus snacks of processed food, you're going to ingest a humongous amount of sugar.

But she's a classic case of having a financial interest in her claim!

Jo xxx
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 14:37

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
But she's a classic case of having a financial interest in her claim!

I missed that! No wonder she missed the point - she's too busy looking after her paycheck.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 16:29

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I can't get too excited about this. They are trying to "get the sugar out of cereal" instead of ditching both!

Are they going to get the results they think they will? Their blood sugar is still taking a beating!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 16:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 216/186/140 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 39%

I can't say with certainty that all kids are like mine, but my five year old daughter and three year old son have shocked me. I started LC ing in January 2012. Initially I thought I was the one with the problem and my family all seemed healthy, so I still made them their standard side dishes, and just had the proteins and salads for myself. That soon changed. My daughter started having completely unexplained stomach upset. My own entire childhood was full of what was diagnosed as IBS.....constant tummy aches, diarrhea, constipation, nausea. By early adulthood I just got used to it, assuming that would be my life. With LC though all those symptoms went away within days. When my daughter started having problems I thought "maybe it's grains/carbs/sugars like me..." Took her to the doctor for tests. She was diagnosed with "unexplained IBS". I mentioned my own findings to my doctor who got up in arms over making sure she was eating according to the food guide....don't get me started on that.

In 2011 I stopped breast feeding my son and transitioned him to cows milk. Within weeks he was covered in eczema. When I took him to the doctor they prescribed steroid creams and said he had sensitive skin. I told them it seemed too coincidental to me that he got these symptoms as soon as he went to cows milk. She said "well he has to have milk!?!?!??" I took him home, stopped giving him milk, and tore up the steroid cream prescription. His eczema was gone within days.

Basically these things created an open dialog where we began talking about food and it's impact on our bodies. As time went on they (and my husband) have Learned they prefer my "egg bread" for sandwiches and French toast and garlic bread, they really don't like potatoes at all, that most puddings, ice creams, and jellies that don't get made by mom taste way too sweet. If we are at a party I don't say they can't have a piece of birthday cake. But they generally have one or two bites and leave the rest, because it's too sweet. They nearly always choose meat/cheese slices over potato chips or crackers. If they are at someone else's house and are served a sandwich, they pick everything out of the middle and leave the bread. Don't get me wrong, there are times when they really want something and we argue over the fact that I don't think they should have it. Especially with my three year old - it can be hard to explain that something that tastes so good can hurt you. But in general, if left to their own food-selecting devices, they go for real food almost everytime.

One thing my kids aren't allowed, ever: breakfast cereal. We have Eggs and bacon. Full fat Greek yogurt and berries. No breakfast cereal. It's like poison.

Anyways, if my own little experiments have shown me anything it's that food directly impacts our entire system, regardless of whether we are obese adults or tiny children. We are all much happier, healthy ppl because of our food choices. I've also learned its sad to realize so many people out there just accept that they don't feel good, and can't make the correlation between their consumption and their body's reaction to its fuel provision.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 17:15

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I'm encouraged by the onslaught of anti-sugar articles. I can see how people cling to the idea that maybe they give up sugar, but not grains. I started with South Beach and gradually weaned myself off of sugars AND starches. Most of us come here not because we think "Hey it would be cool to give up sugar and starch and lots of delicious foods". We here due to a health crisis, either overweight or diabetes or some other consequence of metabolic syndrome. It usually takes a while for us to get our heads around the fact that getting rid of sugar and grains (and even most starches) will have to be a permanent change.

You gotta start somewhere and I am glad the British press is giving this so much notice.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 18:48

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
You gotta start somewhere and I am glad the British press is giving this so much notice.

Yes. That's true.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-14, 19:53

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

The stores will be inundated with "sugar-free" everything. Like the "fat-free" hype. What substances are they going to substitute for sugar, I wonder, so they can continue profiting from sweet-toothed consumers.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-14, 03:36

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
We must end this sweet madness of excess sugar consumption

Eating too much sugar is damaging our health, but the food, drink and farming industries are blocking change

Felicity Lawrence

We have no physiological need for refined sugar: before the 16th century we managed with tiny amounts of it. In fact, all the glories of Renaissance art and thought were created on just a teaspoonful of sugar per head per year. But by the 20th century sugar had become ubiquitous. And its industry had become so powerful that it had penetrated the heart of governments. The sort of access sugar barons enjoy was exposed when Bill Clinton famously interrupted an Oval Office assignation with Monica Lewinsky in 1996 to take a phone call — the call was from one of the Fanjul family who control much of sugar production in the electorally key swing state of Florida. (The Fanjuls have played it both ways: another brother was one of George Bush's top fundraisers.)

The Action on Sugar initiative, launched in Britain and the US this week, is recognition that different weapons are needed in the battle against the promoters of this vector of disease. A distinguished posse of professors has signed up to the campaign to cut sugar consumption by 30% by naming and shaming big companies that sell us these empty calories.

The evidence that excess consumption of refined sugars is damaging our health is now as clear as the case against tobacco. Nutritionally bankrupt products loaded with sugars have displaced the whole foods our bodies need. To tackle the preventable diet-related diseases that have reached epidemic proportions around the globe – obesity, diabetes, heart disease and cancers – we simply need to eat less of them. But the vested economic interests of the food, drink and farming industries are blocking change. They lobby ferociously against attempts to set lower targets for consumption or restrict marketing or recalibrate subsidies. They have captured regulators so successfully that a guerrilla campaign is needed to speak directly to consumers. Leading the charge with Action on Sugar is cardiovascular expert Graham MacGregor, veteran of the successful campaign to force the food industry to reduce blood-pressure inducing levels of salt in its products. The fight against sugar will be much tougher and dirtier.

Cutting sugars represents an existential threat to large parts of the food and drink industry. Take salt out and they are left with a problem that their products are short of good ingredients and don't taste of much. Take sugars out and they are left with not much at all. Sugars give them their bulk. In theory, they could use proper whole foods instead, but then their economic model starts falling apart. Their businesses are built on taking the cheapest of cheap commodity ingredients, deconstructing them, and turning them into "added value" goods – not in lightly processing real unrefined foods.

Consumption of sugars is a function of price, availability and production, and has been for centuries. The price of refined sugar dropped dramatically at the beginning of the 18th century as the English, Dutch and French Caribbean colonies were established. A mass market developed, with the amount eaten in Britain increasing over the next hundred years from about 2kg per person per year to about 8kg. Sugar, and cheap bread, became the fuel of the industrial revolution; it fed the factory workers of the late 18th and early 19th centuries. Governments have long subsidised sugars and protected their domestic markets in them, fostering the interests of a handful of transnational corporations. As a result, sugar comes at us from every quarter. The fundamental problem is a mismatch between supply and our biology.

By the age of 15, 21st-century British boys typically have a 40kg-a-year sugar habit, according to the official National Diet and Nutrition Survey, the equivalent of 1,000 cans of cola or 11,800 sugar cubes – they are matching or exceeding the consumption of impoverished 19th-century manual workers doing up to 14 hours of physical labour a day. Action on Sugar cannot change the trade system that makes this profitable, but as the health costs of diet-related disease soar, it may at least awaken a new audience to its madnesses.
http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...gar-consumption

Felicity Lawrence is the author of Not On the Label: What Really Goes into the Food on Your Plate and Eat Your Heart Out: Why the food business is bad for the planet and your health.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-14, 03:56

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

I really like this being in the media. It's going to take years, decades for "fats ok, sugar is killing us and hey, starch isn't much better" message to come through cleanly. My mother in law worries about me being on primal or Atkins. Now I'm pregnant, she's worried. I told her just a couple of days ago that there was no absolutely no need for sugar in my diet and I was eating loads of different veg, meat, fish, etc, and I was happy this was fine. Shes not sure. So these articles couldn't have come at a better time for me!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-14, 06:07

BF:

Quote:
From The Mail
London, UK
10 January, 2014

Mother switched her boys to a 'healthier' diet - and found they ate even MORE sugar than before
  • World Health Organisation’s recommended daily allowance (RDA) is 90g of sugar per day
  • Amanda Cable managed to push her sons' sugar content up to 152 grams each day

Rushing around the room in a wide-eyed frenzy, knocking over the nest of tables on which my canapes had been neatly arranged and upon which my dismayed guests had rested their flutes of champagne, my son Charlie, then 11, was making New Year’s Eve 2012 a night to remember for all the wrong reasons.
Worse, it was all my fault. Earlier in the evening, I had served a sweet-and-sour chicken Chinese takeaway — a family favourite — to Charlie, his twin brother, Archie, and their sister, Ruby.

My husband, Ray, and I had had the same, and we’d all tucked into chocolate pudding afterwards.
Every mother will recognise this scenario.

An indulgent meal as a treat, followed by an over-excited child who, quite literally, bounces off the walls.

But Charlie’s reaction to sugar was more than just excitement. It was toxic.
And, from watching my son carefully, I could see that his worst episodes of bad behaviour and hyperactivity took place after he’d had a sugar binge.

So, that very night, I decided to reform my family’s eating habits. Out with the sugary cereals and sweet treats, and in with wholegrains and cereal bars.
I even ditched cow’s milk for the soya alternative.

Such a change in diet was the only thing I could think of that might put Charlie on a more even keel — and improve my entire family’s health in the process.

After all, if an occasional sugar splurge could have such a dramatic impact on him, what was it doing to the rest of us?

So imagine my horror on reading yesterday’s findings that many of the ‘healthy’ alternatives I’d started to buy were actually doing my family more damage than before.

Indeed, doctors and academics are so horrified by the hidden sugar epidemic they’ve dubbed sugar ‘the new tobacco’.

The World Health Organisation’s recommended daily allowance (RDA) is 90g of sugar per day — 22.5 teaspoons.

Charlie’s typical menu before gave him an overall daily total of 121.3 grams of sugar — a whopping 30-odd teaspoons.

But I now realise the so-called healthy diet is even worse. Thanks to sugars hidden in them, I have managed to push his sugar content up to 152 grams each day — the same as 38 teaspoons.

Charlie’s behaviour had been deteriorating since just after he turned ten.
As a toddler, it was far easier to control his diet, and rather than sugary drinks, he would have only water or milk. The tantrums were few and far between.

But as he grew older, he wanted what the other boys at school were having. Brand-name cereals, cartoon-branded juice drinks, and so on.

I capitulated. And I’m ashamed to admit that every day he would eat the following: Coco-Pops for cereal, peanut butter on crumpets as a snack and a Fruit Shoot drink after school.

And while I tried always to prepare healthy dinners, if I didn’t have time to cook from scratch, I would resort to ready-meals.

It wasn’t ideal, but I made sure that I chose the very best, high-end options. Surely it couldn’t do much harm?

But by the age of 11, these treats were taking their toll on Charlie’s behaviour. Making him spend just 45 minutes reading or doing homework would leave him angry and temperamental.

Copybooks were often thrown across the room (by him) and our dining-room table was regularly banged in frustration (me and him).

So our new regime began. The chocolate breakfast cereal was out and I brought in what I thought was a healthy alternative — oat-based cereal flakes.

We ditched the white bread sandwiches and started having veggie soups and wholemeal bread for lunch. Ready-meals were ditched for home-cooked meat and vegetable stir-fries that used delicious shop-made sauces.

I thought I would win the war on sugar. How wrong I was.

Talking to registered nutritionist Angela Dowden, I have learned the bitter truth about my children’s sugar intake.

These so-called healthy options contain so many hidden sugars that my son’s diet is actually worse than before.

‘A little sugar won’t do any harm,’ Angela tells me. ‘But some foods lower their fat contents, enabling manufacturers to bill them as “healthy”, and then add sugar to make them taste better.

‘It’s only when you inspect the food labels, which most parents don’t, that you realise you are being misled.

‘The recommended daily limit of sugar for an adult female is 90g, which is the same as for a boy of 12, like Charlie. But the lower you can get your sugar intake, while still enjoying your diet, the better.’

Amanda was shocked to discover that a can of Heinz soup contains 14.9g of sugar

Angela found that swapping the obviously sugar-loaded cereals, like Coco-Pops, which has nearly five teaspoons per 40g bowl with semi-skimmed milk, for the same amount of Special K Oats and Honey Cereal with ‘healthy’ soya milk, still delivered 2.65 teaspoons of sugar.

‘It may be sold as “healthy”, but Special K Oats and Honey Cereal still has 19g of sugar per 100g. NHS guidelines suggest that anything containing over 22.5g of sugar per 100g is “high”. So while this isn’t technically over, it’s close — and not the healthy option people think,’ says Angela.

‘It’s wiser to choose porridge. Better still, scrambled egg with mushrooms or tomatoes is a lower-sugar start to the day.’

So what about our new healthy lunch with cheese sandwiches ditched in favour of vegetable soups, with tuna and sweetcorn sandwiches made with wholegrain bread.

Charlie’s favourite soup was Heinz tomato. But I am stunned to discover that this contains 14.9g of sugar, per 300ml can — equivalent to almost four teaspoons.

Worse was to come. While I thought I’d picked a truly healthy sandwich, Angela tells me that it contains more than a teaspoon of sugar, thanks to the wholemeal bread.

My healthy drinks also got the thumbs-down. Our new breakfast drink was a pre-packaged orange, mango and passionfruit smoothie, which I thought would help our vitamin intake without adding too much sugar.

Wrong, as Angela tells me: ‘It contains 19.5g of sugar in a 250ml serving, which is four teaspoons of sugar. That’s more than a fifth of the daily RDA in a single drink.’

I’d also swapped the lunchtime Fruit Shoot drinks for a glass of Tropicana fresh orange juice. I need not have bothered.

‘A 200ml glass of orange juice contains 20g of sugar — almost exactly the same as the 22g of sugar within the Fruit Shoot,’ says Angela. ‘That’s five teaspoons in just one glass. You are far better sticking to water or milk. One small glass of fruit juice in one day is enough.’

Charlie’s original after-school snack was peanut butter on a crumpet, which contained more than a teaspoon of sugar. I’d ditched the peanut butter — too many additives and syrups, I thought — for the more natural-seeming honey, served on a bagel. What a mistake.

Angela says: ‘There’s a massive 11g of sugar in just two teaspoons of honey. It’s pure sugar. And added to the 5.1g of sugar which is part of every bagel recipe, you are loading Charlie with more than three teaspoons of sugar in just one snack.’

And while I had been feeling smug that I no longer have any sort of posh ready-meal in my supermarket trolley, I would have been better off sticking with them.

I had replaced them with shop-bought stir-fry sauces with fresh meat and veg to make quick dinners feel more ‘home-made’. What an error! These sauces are packed with sugar, too.

Angela says: ‘While overall this is a healthy meal, you could choose a better option by checking the label. Those with sweet chilli contain more sugar. Your favourite black bean sauce contains 7.7g sugar per half jar — almost two teaspoons.’

So, despite my best efforts, Charlie has still been consuming 38 teaspoons of sugar per day — almost 16 more than his allowance.

I am horrified by these results. By opting for home cooking, what I had thought were low-sugar breakfast options and snacks, I was actually doing more harm to my children’s health than good.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...MORE-sugar.html
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-14, 07:33

BF:

Thank you, Demi, this is precisely the outcome I was grumping about, above. "Oh, I ate healthy and it didn't do a thing!"

Though the endgame does, inevitably, lead to low carbing. Sometimes I think everyone should have a blood sugar meter; after all, they give them out free in the US!

Test for one week, and people will be astonished:
  • at what their meals mean in blood glucose
  • that the "healthy" meal can be even worse!
  • that a meal of meat and vegetables creates dramatic improvement
  • gives them a preview of what life with diabetes can be
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-14, 02:18

BF:
Default We are too sweet on sugar to give it up easily

Quote:
From The Times
London, UK
11 January, 2014

We are too sweet on sugar to give it up easily

The way to kick the habit is to cut down on the stuff hidden in pasta sauce, ready meals and fizzy drinks

Janice Turner

Last week my husband spotted an unmissable bargain in Waitrose: two whole pounds of its own-brand chocolates reduced to 69p. He was heading for the till in triumph when I grabbed it from his hands. Would you buy a carton of Silk Cut if I was trying to give up smoking? Would you stock an alcoholic’s house with cheap gin?

Sugar is my crack. If sweets or chocolate, cake or biscuits are in the house, I will eat them. And as I work from home, with 24/7 secret snacking opportunities, I don’t buy them. When my mother arrives from Yorkshire, suitcase bulging with chocolate teacakes, Tunnock’s wafers and Kit Kats, I fling them on top of the highest cupboard. Which means that a week later I will be found teetering on a chair, trying to dislodge a family pack of Maltesers with a ladle.

Christmas brought so many sugary gifts that I considered sneaking them off to a food bank. But, as I have bred a family of fellow addicts, by New Year’s Day only the crystallised ginger was left. It seems Type 2 diabetes, which my father developed late in life, will be our shared destiny.

The scientists who this week launched a campaign to persuade consumers that sugar is “the new tobacco” and that companies should reduce the sugar content of food by 30 per cent, have a hard sell. Their battles against saturated fat and salt have been largely won but that is no indicator of likely success.

It is hard to see as an enemy something so intricately bound up with love. As far as I know “my salt” is no endearment and “fatty” certainly is not. But “my sugar”, “my sweet”, “ah honey, honey, you are my candy girl . . .” How can a lover’s heart-shaped box, a mother’s special cake, the mint from Grandpa’s pocket, the centrepiece of birthdays and feast days, the cargo of Santa and the Easter Bunny be poison? Are we to believe The Great British Bake Off is a pushers’ convention?

When the friends in Sex and the City sat outside the Magnolia Bakery picking at colourful frosting, it seemed that the cupcake had replaced the cigarette: a shared moment, a communal rebellion. Certainly as tobacco has waned, the cupcake has risen, a symbol of both female domestic artistry and a curious kind of empowerment: sod the diet, sod being “good”, this sickly little sucker is for me.

Once we were satisfied with a smear on top of a sticky bun; now we demand the icing be higher than the cake. With greater affluence weekly treats become daily; my grandmother would bring me a small chocolate bar, my kids receive a Toblerone the size of a roof beam. Little bags of sweets have been replaced by huge “shareable” ones you can reseal, but never do because without thinking you shovel in the lot.

What fun-suckers could resist this surfeit of sweetness, this abundance of love. This week Gwyneth Paltrow and her daughter Apple were photographed outside her Los Angeles home running a stall selling home-made lemonade. “No sugar added”, said the colourful crayoned sign; that sour, self-denying brew embodying all the smug purity on which Gwynnie is building her retail wing.

Yet in one sense she is right — we have a right to know when our food contains sugar. Over the years, manufacturers have pumped it into savoury dishes. Why is Heinz tomato soup every child’s favourite? Because it contains more than a teaspoonful per 100g. “Sports drinks” such as Lucozade market themselves as promoting fitness, when if drunk instead of water they will more than replace every calorie sweated off on the pitch.

Pizza, white bread and low-fat yoghurts are suffused with sugar because it enhances taste and makes you eat more, as it suppresses production of the hormone leptin, which tells your brain you are full. Sugar gives you a pleasurable hit to the brain, a rush akin to the thrill of gambling or drugs or alcohol. The writer Simon Gray told me that when he gave up booze he found relief from his cravings by drinking melted-down bars of Green & Black’s.

And sugar only makes you crave more sugar. My inability to resist the chocolate in my house is not just my pathetic weak will, but chemistry. Eating too much makes me shaky with a roiling brain; giving up leaves me headachey, light-headed and exhausted. Anyone who has taken small children to a birthday party will know the cycle of rush, crash and, next day, cranky sugar “hangover”.

It is a powerful drug and manufacturers use it cynically. In super-sweet breakfast cereals and “health” bars they are breeding the next generation of sugar junkies and contributing to the devastation of our collective health.

As Jeremy Hunt, the Health Secretary, remarked this week,
64 per cent of British adults being overweight and a third of children obese should be a cause for “national soul searching”. Yet his predecessor, Andrew Lansley, immediately rubbished the call for manufacturers to cut added sugar — people will find the taste “unacceptable”,* he said.

Food businesses will resist any threat to sales, but what can we do when obesity costs the NHS £5 billion a year and public health campaigns make no difference? If we eat sugar it should be done consciously. Scientists calculate that if we removed only the stuff shoved stealthily into pasta sauce and ready meals or glugged in fizzy drinks, the crisis would ease. Without denying us “sweets for my sweet, sugar for my honey”.
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opini...icle3972227.ece
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-14, 02:54

BF:

Click on the link below to watch a video where former British health secretary Andrew Lansley suggests it is "inaccurate" to claim a sugary diet is as dangerous as smoking, while Action on Sugar chairman Graham MacGregor calls on the food industry to reduce the amount of sugar in their products:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/telegrap...inaccurate.html