Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 14:42
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Question A Delicate question..."Floaters?"

I've recently completed the three week sans ALA (cutting out egg yolks, meat and flax ) to see if I am sensitive to arachondic acid (Eades discusses this in his second PP book, due to brain cramp I can't remember the name)

Anyway
There is a tiny paragraph that says if your system is in balance then your...ahem, stools should float.

Mine are still sinkers, even after the three weeks. I'd like to know what's the effect for other people following PP.

Strange question but I'd like to know.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 16:17

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

at the title of your delicately-phrased post.

I don't take the floater/sinker thing very seriously, myself. I think the reason they float is the indigestible fiber--and it can be hard to get loads of that on LC eating.

HTH
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 19:06

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 298/277/125
BF:76.6%
Progress: 12%
Talking "floaters"

Hey, we don't know if we don't ask, and that is why we all found this sight, right? I fluctuate, but fiber is one contributor, and if I don't drink at least my 8 glasses of water a day, that also effects the "floatability". Are you getting enough liquid?
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 09:36
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 245.0/211.5/130.0
BF:
Progress: 29%
Default Boatload o' water

I've gotten pretty good at consuming water (approximately 16 cups a day or 3.78L) The fiber thing is a bit more difficult. I've started adding a heaping teaspoon of pysilium husk to my protein drink, wheat bran to anything I bake and I eat veggies every night. I'm not as good about eating veggies for lunch. None of this made any difference as in regards to "floating" Although I must admit too much bran and there isn't anything to "float".
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 11:11

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 298/277/125
BF:76.6%
Progress: 12%
Default response

I am not familiar with Atkins program, so I don't know what else to suggest. Maybe a moderator could give a suggestion? Hope everything goes well, and hang in there!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:57

Plan: atkins/protein power 1st
Stats: 269/278/210 Male 5 feet 10 ins.
BF:33%/30%/ ?
Progress: -15%
Default Shit Happens

This is a messy subject and I don't want to delve into it too deeply but the physics of "Poo" is quite complicated as it is the density of the whole item that determines whether it floats or not.

The problem is that Poo is a conglomerate and not a uniform substance. Slicing a specimen in half, which is not recommended, will determine whether it is made of residue (urea) or undigested fibre/artifacts but usually a mixture of the two.

If you have had children you will know the exquisite pleasure of searching through stinking piles looking for swallowed beads.
Those without children should try corn on the cob and wait 24 hours for similar results.

The next problem is the surface tension, water and gas content of the movement. Explosive motions invariably float. Soft motions invariably sink, and harder motions are more likely floaters.

But the crucial factor is that what comes out one end is a direct consequence of what goes in the other and the determining ingredient appears to be fibre in the diet.

A popular diet several years ago was the F-Plan diet, "F " for Fibre, but was often known as the "F*r*" Plan. Copious amounts of Bran and baked beans were recommended and the test was the same. You are getting enough fibre if they float.

Bowel movements are a study in themselves and in 18thC medicine it was about the only thing they did study along with the colour of you urine.

There is nothing inherently wrong with sinkers but most will and do experience the full range. If the movement is persistently unusual, a visit to the Dr. could put one's mind at rest.