Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 140/129/125 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress:
Question iron in vitamins

Can someone tell me why Atkins says to take multivitamins without iron? Does the iron have an effect on your weight loss? I tried to find a brand without iron but had no luck. Any recommendations?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 09:57
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi. I believe it's because you should already be getting plenty of iron from your food, so you don't need it. Your body is really conservative with its iron stores, too. In fact, the Eadeses (Protein Power) recommend donating blood to get rid of it!

For an iron-free vitamin, look at the men's formulas.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:03
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

To quote Doreen T...

"In Protein Power Lifeplan (pub. 2000), the Drs. Eades devote an entire Chapter to this subject, and describe iron as a double-edged sword. On the one hand, it's a vital component of hemoglobin, the oxygen carrying molecule in our red-blood cells. On the other hand, because it binds so readily with oxygen, it has the potential to become an "oxidant" or "free radical" in our bodies, and can cause considerable damage.

They use the words "potential" and "may cause" a lot (as opposed to "definitely will"). That's because in a normal, healthy individual .. our body organs and tissues are designed to balance and deal with oxidants and free radicals in an efficient manner. The problems arise when other pathologies develop, such as diabetes and heart disease. Then the body becomes less efficient, and iron can accumulate in the tissues, and then problems begin.

In general, pre-menopausal women have no need for concern as the monthly losses will balance things out; in fact the old wisdom is still true that women need to make effort to ensure adequate iron INTAKE to avoid anemia. I can attest to this on a personal level ... my sister-in-law is trying to diet and get "healthy" following a lowFAT diet (meanwhile, her husband, my brother .. is lowCARBing .. ) Anyway, she cut out red meat completely for months ... and ate mostly dry toast, pasta with plain tomato sauce - no meat or cheese ... etc, etc .... She collapsed on the floor in a heap ... required transfusions and surgery, she was so anemic. The lack of iron and protein caused her periods to become so HEAVY.

So yes, if you're a man, or post-menopause woman, and believe you are developing Syndrome X - insulin resistance problems such as Type 2 diabetes, heart disease, atherosclerosis, high cholesterol and triglycerides. etc...... then get yourself to a doctor and have things checked out. There's a blood test called "serum ferritin" which can be done to determine if excess iron is a problem for you. Don't diagnose yourself, because LACK of iron can be just as dangerous.

As an aside, vitamin C enhances the uptake of iron to make hemoglobin. Meaning the iron is utilised, not stored in the tissues. Vitamin C is also an antioxidant ... ... Might be a good idea when you consume an iron-rich food such as red meat, to also have a source of vitamin C, such as broccoli, red and green peppers or a few slices of tomato."

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...ades#post633645

Natural Factors has a multi-vitamin with no iron.

Karen
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 10:57
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

Thanks Karen

Actually, that's an old old posting. I've done more reading and research, and have since posted more current information.

A few studies conducted in the mid- to late-1990's suggested that excess stored iron may pose heart disease risk. However, studies done since that time have not been able to duplicate the results of the Finnish and Japanese studies, and in fact more recent studies show the exact opposite to be true .. higher iron levels are associated with LESS risk to heart health, while low levels increase your risk. Folks might want to have a read through this report.

Younger women who are still menstruating are unlikely to have excess stored iron, nor are persons engaged in vigorous exercise, since some iron is lost in sweat.

Eating red meat is not a guarantee that you're getting enough iron. The RDA is 15mg for men, 18mg for premenopause women. A half-pound of lean sirloin steak has only 6 mg of iron in it. A large egg only has 1.6 mg (found only in the yolk). Some vegetables and nuts contain iron, but it's a form that's not as well absorbed as the heme-iron from animal sources. Grains and bran contain phytates which inhibit iron absorption as will fiber supplements such as psyllium husks if taken within a couple hrs of the supplement or iron-rich food.

Doreen
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 17:56

Stats: 190/147/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 96%

I could not find any vitamines that had no iron in them. I did find Jameson's that only have 4mg though. I think vitamines have been all formulated for the low fat, anemic dieters.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 20:36

Stats: 272/232/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 33%

You can get vitamins without Iron. Centrum Silver does not have any iron.
I get mine at Walmart- and I get Walmarts brand that is like Centrum Silver- it is a lot cheaper and has the exact ingredients.

I have noticed that iron constipates me more often than not. When I switched to Centrum Silver- I don't have that problem as often.

Quiltlady