Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-21, 05:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%
Default High-Protein Diet - New guide from DietDoctor

In 2021, DietDoctor, the world's largest low carb website has been adding more protein focused articles, recipes, and other information based on Dr Ted Naiman's The P:E Diet. Today they published an updated complete guide to High Protein Diets.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein

If you wonder if increasing protein would work for you, what is actually meant by "high" or "higher", this is a good place to start. Many links in this guide to studies and related information. If you want more information about Dr Ted Naiman's own program, the thread is: https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=483930
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jun-02-21, 15:55
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

My immediate challenge is to eat. I'm doing what I can, starting my day with a Premiere Protein shake (30g Protein, 1g Sugar, 24 Vitamins & Minerals, Nutrients to Support Immune Health). My next meal is coffee with HWC, or maybe bulletproof if my stomach can take the MCT oil. I try to eat during the day but lose interest after a few bites. My muscle mass is way down from spending so much time in the hospital bed.
Maybe I should just drink several shakes during the day to add up to the recommended 150gms per day.
I had PT yesterday and am suffering today because I'm so weak. Once I get up and walk around for a bit, I can keep going, but the sacroiliitis pain during transition can be challenging.
I also have to take lots of psyllium every day to avoid straining, as that engages the same raw nerve.
Ideas?
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Jun-03-21, 10:46

If you could mix the Protein Powders with 0% Greek yogurt or low-fat cottage cheese (see breakfast bowl in article), I think (wild guess on my part) they may be easier to digest with whole food protein sources. A full day of processed powders sounds hard to digest besides not the best. Smoothies of course, using 2% milk and ice. There are 145+ high protein recipes here...if you could buy already prepared soups, chicken, fish, maybe you can find ideas that are doable for your digestion . Wishing you a full recovery.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein/recipes
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-21, 07:51

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I love Janet's idea to bulk up your protein smoothie with Greek yogurt. You need the protein. I'd also consider those collagen drinks? There are premade ones with keto-friendly sweeteners, and I water them down to keep the sweetener on the low side.

Also, add dry gelatin to a hot beverage, or get those dis-solvable types of collagen you can add to any liquid.

These are complete proteins which reduce inflammation while helping your body heal.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-08-21, 13:59

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.6/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

After seeing Dr. Naiman on Diet Doctor and reading some of his articles, I figured I was a bit low on the protein side. For over a month I've been drinking a daily Jay Robb egg white protein powder shake made with unsweetened coconut milk (sold in a milk type carton). Unfortunately for me, I must avoid dairy so I can't buy the whey powders or boost protein with yogurt, etc. However, as it is I think the added 24g protein is helping me, and definitely boosts my daily protein levels. Still, I'm lucky if I make 80g per day total.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-21, 06:32

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Leverage the power of protein - oh wheyt isn't that a book already?
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-09-21, 06:35

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

It's also interesting to consider that things like Bullet Proof Coffee, Fat bombs and such are way over on the left side as well probably right in between shugar and donuts. The graphic has it's own built in bias - just as we all do

#8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-11-21, 03:05

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by thud123
Leverage the power of protein - oh wheyt isn't that a book already?

Wheyt... I see what you did there.

And yes, that very book is my current reading project!
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Aug-11-21, 13:26

Since June there have been more articles and recipes on High Protein. Today a podcast interview with Dr. Andreas Eenfeldt on the evolution of DietDoctor's advice. https://www.dietdoctor.com/episode-...sent-and-future
They truly follow the science, and what works for weight loss with real people in practice, and understand that for some health conditions a high-fat diet does works. But if using low carb for weight loss and stalled above your goal weight, DietDoctor has now added lower fat, higher protein options.. and he explains the reasons and how they will message this change.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-21, 06:43

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Is high protein back or did it never leave?
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-21, 08:35

Never left, but....What is the P:E ratio?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Image-1.JPG (63.6 KB, 23 views)
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-21, 09:02

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I find it telling that emphasizing protein for those already eating healthy carbs (low glycemic, above ground veggies primarily) is a very healthy approach. Not too recently, I recall the keto mantra to eat more fat, moderate protein, and keep carbs very low. The issue with protein at the time was thinking the resulting gluconeogenesis that threatened to convert additional protein into sugar thereby "kicking one out" of ketosis. Bikman was one of the first to refute that idea with research, and now many have seen the wisdom of increasing healthy protein, reducing energy (fats, carbs), and emphasizing the vegetables that work to add important micronutrients. Again, the ratios are very individualized, as we all have a unique "sweet spot" for ratios and food types; however, we are evolving in our nutritional knowledge, and I love the evolution.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-21, 17:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I've been eating a P:E ratio of 1.2-1.4 for most of the past 22 years without calling it that. I still prefer the Protein Power approach of setting the protein grams first, then adding a variety of low-carb vegs. Eating extra protein beyond what I actually need just to achieve certain macro percents is too expensive for me and reminds me of the high-carb craze where people would load on more carbs to achieve 65% even after they'd eaten enough for two people.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 03:49

Diet Doctor adds another very useful guide:

Top 10 tasty ways to eat more protein and less fat

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein/top-10-ways

I had already written up my own list for friends of how I changed the foods from the typical "keto" food list I was using to what I eat now. Could have saved myself the time…this is the same with a beautiful design and photos. Even down to the last note on dessert that Dr Eenfeldt now makes Dr Naiman's "Protein Ice Cream”. Recipe at end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCgDBd8FgvY

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Sep-05-21 at 06:37.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-05-21, 13:42

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Diet Doctor adds another very useful guide:

Top 10 tasty ways to eat more protein and less fat

https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein/top-10-ways

I had already written up my own list for friends of how I changed the foods from the typical "keto" food list I was using to what I eat now. Could have saved myself the time…this is the same with a beautiful design and photos. Even down to the last note on dessert that Dr Eenfeldt now makes Dr Naiman's "Protein Ice Cream”. Recipe at end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCgDBd8FgvY

Good summary article. Thanks, Janet. I particularly like the way DD stays abreast of the latest research and readily adopts new views on healthy ways of eating. As we learn from experience, we adapt low carb or keto to be more effective in achieving good health.